Ally on the board, paulo Sergio as manager

Dennis

This thread has included in the title 'paulo sergio as manager'. That kinda indicates, at least in this thread anyway, that people aren't just questioning McCoist but calling for his head.

Hey Dude. (tu)

Some people on here are very good at ignoring points that hurt their argument and exaggerating certain points to emphasise their opinion. It's not a healthy way to debate.

Some people just want to pee on the rug ;)

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ally's doing a decent enough job with the players he has available. It's the players who are on the pitch, it's them that have to do the job when asked - too many have turned up thinking it's going to be a canter only to find out differently. Ally needs to give them a few home truths about performances as i feel he's being too soft on them, not wanting to upset a few and getting the dummies thrown out the collective pram - a right good kick up the backside is needed. No-one is expecting massive win results, 1 or 2 goals is sufficient but they also need to play a style that gets those results - in the SFL they won't get the time and space on the ball which was afforded to them in the SPL, it's more rushed and the players need to adapt to suit. The referee's decisions aren't helping either to be fair - a lot of decision have gone against the team when fouls should have been given (but that's not really an excuse). I think Ally and his backroom team will be given until the transfer / registration embargo has been served then, based on results, CG will either back him or sack him - irrespective of how your or i feel about it.

Good post but I'm only giving him another 4 months :lol:

After everything that went on last season I am absolutely baffled that some people are happy to use last season as some sort of fair measuring stick as to how good McCoist may or may not be.

there is also a point though, as previously mentioned, when we have to stop looking at last year as an excuse for being sub par.

After everything that went on last season I am absolutely baffled that some people are happy to use last season as some sort of fair measuring stick as to how good McCoist may or may not be.

It is baffling. <cr> And immensely frustrating hearing it from fellow Bears. I use to laugh at my "EPL team" supporting mates for their one track thinking. But RM has opened my eyes that these people are apart of every clubs support.

Personally i have total faith in Ally to win the league, he deserves a fair crack of the whip for sticking with Rangers when i'm guessing he could have walked away and made as much money on TV/SKY/RADIO but chose to take a pay cut and see us through these difficult times. I also think he do the honest thing and stand down if he feels he isn't producing what is required of a Rangers manager. He's got 3 yrs to build a team capable of winning the SPL at the 1st attempt, if it's still there. Everything comes to those who wait.

there is also a point though, as previously mentioned, when we have to stop looking at last year as an excuse for being sub par.

Is five games in to the current league season after being demoted three divisions and overhauling the entire squad that time though?

I have concerns about what we are producing away from home, but McCoist still needs (and deserves) a fair crack at it before we judge him.

I've had my concerns over ally in fact I did over his selections for the bench against Annan but the man has more than earned the right for an opportunity to rectify these matters, surely all those unjustly calling for his head have not forgotten all that he has done for our club so quickly.

I am baffled people can discount a whole year of football as if it did not happen. We went into financial meltdown in February and the landscape then change. Even if you ignore the results from last season, are you telling me that Ally's tactics, formation and style of play would have been significantly different? The problems I saw last year are still visible this year, so how do you explain that?

Last year we saw what Ally had to offer as a manager even on a basic level, and he is clearly lacking in so many areas. He started out as a poor manager, and has shown next to nothing in terms of improvement. Instead of defending him to to the hilt, without even considering the evidence in front of your eyes, why should Ally be given endless time? What are the positive signs?

I am baffled people can discount a whole year of football as if it did not happen. We went into financial meltdown in February and the landscape then change. Even if you ignore the results from last season, are you telling me that Ally's tactics, formation and style of play would have been significantly different? The problems I saw last year are still visible this year, so how do you explain that?

Last year we saw what Ally had to offer as a manager even on a basic level, and he is clearly lacking in so many areas. He started out as a poor manager, and has shown next to nothing in terms of improvement. Instead of defending him to to the hilt, without even considering the evidence in front of your eyes, why should Ally be given endless time? What are the positive signs?

Because we stuck by our club through thin and thinner to make sure we would be able to play football this season. Show some loyalty and respect FFS

Because we stuck by our club through thin and thinner to make sure we would be able to play football this season. Show some loyalty and respect FFS

What the hell are you talking about? Answer the question and stop wallowing in the misery of the first half of the year. All the financial problems are gone, let me repeat they are gone. I sense in 10 years you will still be spouting the same response after every defeat. With your attitude the club will never progress.

Tell me where I said you could discount a whole year as if it didn't happen? I said you can't really use it as a fair measuiring stick and IMO you can't.

We "officially" went in to financial meltdown in February, but plenty of people have reported that we could and probably should have gone in to administration about October so the problems off the park were already there. You can't assume that they weren't already there because they only came to light a few months later.

You could also add the fact that that time frame (October) also conicides with the time that we lost our best player to injury and our second best player downed tools because he was preparing to move to England.

As far as starting poorly that can be spun whatever way you weant to suit your argument. Malmo, Maribor & Falkirk were terrible, results and he will knwo that better than any of us do, but on the dometic front we went six away games without condceding a goal, built a massive lead over Celtic in the league and got away wins at traditionally difficult grounds like Hearts, Aberdeen, Dundee Utd & plus a thumping victory over Celtic in the first Old Firm game. Did that take no ability? Was it a fluke? Where are the negatives in there that you can spin to suit your opinion?

I'm not and never have "defended him to the hilt" and I never said he should be given "endless time". I know he has flaws, no manager doesn't, but I'm still willing to look at the positives that we have seen and at least consider the crazy factors that went against him in his first season rather than dismiss them out of hand complelty and give him a fair crack of the whip before I decide if he is capable of being the manager for a long spell or not.

Tell me where I said you could discount a whole year as if it didn't happen? I said you can't really use it as a fair measuiring stick and IMO you can't.

We "officially" went in to financial meltdown in February, but plenty of people have reported that we could and probably should have gone in to administration about October so the problems off the park were already there. You can't assume that they weren't already there because they only came to light a few months later.

You could also add the fact that that time frame (October) also conicides with the time that we lost our best player to injury and our second best player downed tools because he was preparing to move to England.

As far as starting poorly that can be spun whatever way you weant to suit your argument. Malmo, Maribor & Falkirk were terrible, results and he will knwo that better than any of us do, but on the dometic front we went six away games without condceding a goal, built a massive lead over Celtic in the league and got away wins at traditionally difficult grounds like Hearts (SFL3 feeder club), Aberdeen, Dundee Utd & plus a thumping victory over Celtic in the first Old Firm game. Did that take no ability? Was it a fluke? Where are the negatives in there that you can spin to suit your opinion?

I'm not and never have "defended him to the hilt" and I never said he should be given "endless time". I know he has flaws, no manager doesn't, but I'm still willing to look at the positives that we have seen and at least consider the crazy factors that went against him in his first season rather than dismiss them out of hand complelty and give him a fair crack of the whip before I decide if he is capable of being the manager for a long spell or not.

Good, and fair response. The results and performances against Celtic were excellent at Ibrox. He deserves credit for that. Europe does not need discussed. The Hearts (SFL3 feeder club) and Aberdeen results were great, but the Hearts (SFL3 feeder club) game in particular was abysmal. His team selection was hideous, as he was playing players needlessly out of position. I think at Tynecastle that day we had 2 shots on goal the entire match? Aberdeen away was much the same performance and odd team selection. He then used this style of play as a template for the majority of away games, and even at Ibrox on occasion (Inverness, St Johnstone). I think we even went to Easter Road and played Bartley and Papac in centre midfield through choice. It was clear that those tactics were only going to be successful for a limited period of time, and yet he foolish preserved regardless.

With regard to the style of football, have you been impressed?

Good, and fair response. The results and performances against Celtic were excellent at Ibrox. He deserves credit for that. Europe does not need discussed. The Hearts (SFL3 feeder club) and Aberdeen results were great, but the Hearts (SFL3 feeder club) game in particular was abysmal. His team selection was hideous, as he was playing players needlessly out of position. I think at Tynecastle that day we had 2 shots on goal the entire match? Aberdeen away was much the same performance and odd team selection. He then used this style of play as a template for the majority of away games, and even at Ibrox on occasion (Inverness, St Johnstone). I think we even went to Easter Road and played Bartley and Papac in centre midfield through choice. It was clear that those tactics were only going to be successful for a limited period of time, and yet he foolish preserved regardless.

With regard to the style of football, have you been impressed?

The style of play was hideous, but he was getting results at grounds that we often struggle at and I think he deserves some credit for that.

As far as an overall style of football, it was pretty poor. I think you could see the influence of working under Walter Smith for the best part of twenty years shining through.

McCoist seemed to set up on the premise of having a solid defence with hard workers in the middle of the park (hence the use of guys like Papac, McCulloch and Bartley there) then relying on two or three "special" players who can change games and make that difference that turns draws in to wins. Dare I say it, but it's not too disimilar to how Smith set up through 9IAR (from what I can remember anyway. I was only a nipper in those days). The difference obviously being that Smith had better players who could come up with goods when the chips were down while McCoist lost Naimsith, Jelavic (his head went) & had to rely on a horribly inconsistant Davis to be the creative hub in midfield.

Like I said, I'm not sure if McCoist is the long term answer, but I still think it's too soon to be calling for the man's head and I'm sure he will know better than any of us do if it doesn't work out and he does have to step aside from the managers position.

The style of play was hideous, but he was getting results at grounds that we often struggle at and I think he deserves some credit for that.

As far as an overall style of football, it was pretty poor. I think you could see the influence of working under Walter Smith for the best part of twenty years shining through.

McCoist seemed to set up on the premise of having a solid defence with hard workers in the middle of the park (hence the use of guys like Papac, McCulloch and Bartley there) then relying on two or three "special" players who can change games and make that difference that turns draws in to wins. Dare I say it, but it's not too disimilar to how Smith set up through 9IAR (from what I can remember anyway. I was only a nipper in those days). The difference obviously being that Smith had better players who could come up with goods when the chips were down while McCoist lost Naimsith, Jelavic (his head went) & had to rely on a horribly inconsistant Davis to be the creative hub in midfield.

Like I said, I'm not sure if McCoist is the long term answer, but I still think it's too soon to be calling for the man's head and I'm sure he will know better than any of us do if it doesn't work out and he does have to step aside from the managers position.

Really good post, and I agree with it all bar giving the manager more time. Granted, I am not against him staying in the role at the moment. I suspect we are similar ages, and it is nice to read a post that is honest about how Walter had us playing. The amount of times I would leave Ibrox or an away ground with my dad as a youngster frustrated with the cautious approach was frequent. I said at the time Ally was appointed that for him to be successful he had to be completely his own man. He had to adopt a more adventurous style of play that would excite the fans. He has not really done that and his football is rather similar to Smith. It is clear and rather unfortunate that Walter has influenced Ally too much.

Its weird to think that a striker like Ally, who thrived on service, would line up the side the way he does at times.

Credit for this....never. We play against much inferior opposition. We should be expecting results. Why should we accept "hideous" football?

Credit for this....never. We play against much inferior opposition. We should be expecting results. Why should we accept "hideous" football?

Where did I say we should accept hideous football?

I gave the man credit where it was due for getting victories in a number of fixtures that we traditionally struggle in. Nothing more. Nothing less.

In Ally we trust.

1 point from where we belong.

Too many new faces to be a cohesive unit away but with us, the 12th man at home we are better.

Soon, away results will improve and we will be in pole position by Xmas, anyone want to bet against it?

If and when Ally does pack the job in or get his jotter....sergio?? ffs :wanker:

Right now though I just don't know who else I would think a, good enough & b, we could get

-98 rep. Surely that is an Rm record. Im a hall of famer. :lol:

Your the kind of guy that would want Mourinho sacked for his bad start this season are you.

Give the guy a bloody chance just remember who stood by us and updated more than any other at Rangers what was actually going on, he didnt walk away just like we didnt so for me he gets the time needed to rebuild a team where he lost 20 players in one season.

Three games we have failed in away this season I mwould say we might struggle in another 4-5 this season.

The team needs time and with playing in the lower league time is something we have more of than we would in the SPL.

:superally:

Your the kind of guy that would want Mourinho sacked for his bad start this season are you.

Give the guy a bloody chance just remember who stood by us and updated more than any other at Rangers what was actually going on, he didnt walk away just like we didnt so for me he gets the time needed to rebuild a team where he lost 20 players in one season.

Three games we have failed in away this season I mwould say we might struggle in another 4-5 this season.

The team needs time and with playing in the lower league time is something we have more of than we would in the SPL.

:superally:

As long as Real dont replace him with Sergio, i fear we may miss that boat. :(