Rangers launch BBC complaint

Arfuf Phuxache

The BBC have issued a response.

Rangers have complained to the BBC over its use of a Mad Men montage featuring manager Ally McCoist in its coverage.

The Ibrox club described the opening titles that featured in the broadcaster’s coverage of their League Cup tie against Motherwell as "tasteless".

On Thursday, Rangers said they had lodged a "formal complaint" against the BBC after being "inundated with emails and phone calls from supporters who are – rightly, in our opinion - furious with the way the programme began."

The opening titles for the coverage of the match featured manager McCoist falling from an office window at Ibrox and smashing a club crest, in a homage to the opening used by American drama series Mad Men.

In a statement on the club website, Rangers said: "While the manager is known for his good sense of humour, he is both angry and disgusted by the BBC’s treatment both of him personally and of the club.

"As such, Rangers have made contact with the BBC this morning asking why they have chosen to act in such a manner and we await their response."

The title sequence appeared at the opening of the Sportscene programme that broadcast Rangers' 2-0 win over the SPL side.

In response to the complaint, a BBC Scotland spokesman said: "Sportscene’s opening sequence included an animation based around the title sequence of a well known American TV drama.

"It was a creative attempt to set up the clash between Motherwell and Rangers. We accept that the creative animation - however well intentioned - may not have appealed to everyone but we would like to stress that there was no intention to cause any offence. We absolutely reject, however, any suggestions that we have an anti-Rangers bias."

This is not the first time issues have arisen between Rangers and the broadcaster in recent times. Last year former owner of the Ibrox club Craig Whyte said he would sue the BBC over a documentary it screened that revealed he had previously been banned as a director for seven years.

His announcement of legal action has not resulted in any court hearings so far, while administrators of oldco, Duff and Phelps, also said they were consulting lawyers over launching legal action against the broadcaster after it screened another documentary, Rangers: The Men Who Sold the Jerseys, earlier this year in which allegations of a conflict of interest surrounding their appointment was aired. However, no legal action has been taken regarding the programme.

In July last year, the BBC apologised to Rangers over an "inappropriate edit" of an interview with McCoist about sectarian issues in Scottish football. The manager had initially banned the broadcaster from Ibrox stadium before the apology was issued.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Andrew Dicko on Twitter

Interesting that the BBC "reject any suggestions" of an anti-Rangers bias. To my knowledge, RFC as a club has not suggested they do have one

I'm aware of exactly what was said in the complaint submitted earlier today & there was certainly no suggestion of anti-Rangers bias in that

I seem to remember a show had credits that had a silueted figure of a guy trying to avoid the cross hairs of a guns sight. Can you imaging the stink if a sports show had used that but with the guy having red hair wearing a Celt*c badge. It's time for an independent investigation of the way the BBC handle Rangers stories.

No Mr Smith you can't chair it even if you do meet the criteria that would appeal to BBC, SFA & SPL.

Andrew Dicko on Twitter

Interesting that the BBC "reject any suggestions" of an anti-Rangers bias. To my knowledge, RFC as a club has not suggested they do have one

I'm aware of exactly what was said in the complaint submitted earlier today & there was certainly no suggestion of anti-Rangers bias in that

Someone's always one step ahead of me when it comes to twitter stuff :lol:.

Unless you've been in a coma for two years then yes.

Just an infrequent visitor. Saw a post about the video on facebook and came on here to see what folk were saying. I was pretty shocked to see so many people were worked up about it. Then I commented.

I think it was my second comment anyway. My first was about Craig Moore's amazing tackle on Viduka.

BBC Scotland is absolutely bizarre compared to the normal BBC.their hatred for us is horrible,even more so because I have to pay for it.

Living now in England,I look at the reports on this site about the allegedly impartial BBC Scotland and wonder what the **** is going on. In my younger days the BBC and STV each had their share of biased commentators, but the vitriol and sheer hatred was not there before.

I believe BBC Scotland is now a totally infiltrated and indoctrinated institution, not only showing extreme bias, but actually flaunting it. As a state funded institution, surely parliament should be asking why they are taking the money off the majority of fair minded folk, and using it to cater for the rabidly biased small group of Ranger haters who work for the BBC Scotland.

Saw it... And it is offensive. Here, you have a Rangers official -- as the club states, clearly Ally -- falling off of the roof of Ibrox presumably to his death and by association, the death of Rangers. It isn't funny, intelligent, or even a meaningful way to introduce a Cup tie.

Is that what the BBC have come to?

Disgusting.

Well done The Rangers for complaining. Quite right. 00000042.gif

You could imagine the pricks laughing as they were making it . Fucking handpumps the lot of them !

What a tasteless, vile and disturbing opening sequence to a football game.

Working for the BBC is not a profession or a trade. It is a cheap catch-all for fuckoffs and misfits - a false doorway to the backside of life, a filthy piss-ridden little hole nailed off by the building inspector, but just deep enough for a wino to curl up from the sidewalk and masturbate like a chimp in a zoo-cage.

Lol, absolute quality mate !

The BBC have issued a response.

It is not an acceptable response from BBC Scotland. The resignations of those responsible must be demanded and these people seen to have been fired from the BBC. It's as serious as that. If that does not happen, and such depictions of suicide / harm to an organisation or a recognisable employee of that organisation are to be deemed to be acceptable broadcasting material, and where the authors and broadcaster are immune from any action being taken against them, then the floodgates are open for all like-minded individuals and organisations to follow suit and we see more of this on our TV screens or on the likes of You Tube. Having abused its position as a public broadcaster it must be brought fully to account and those responsible in the BBC must be identified in public and fired. Do you think the BBC would have dared to show a similarly constructed montage of the First Minister falling from the rooftop of the Scottish Parliament and if they did, how long to you think those responsible would still be in employment in the BBC?

It is not an acceptable response from BBC Scotland. The resignations of those responsible must be demanded and these people seen to have been fired from the BBC. It's as serious as that. If that does not happen, and such depictions of suicide / harm to an organisation or a recognisable employee of that organisation are to be deemed to be acceptable broadcasting material, and where the authors and broadcaster are immune from any action being taken against them, then the floodgates are open for all like-minded individuals and organisations to follow suit and we see more of this on our TV screens or on the likes of You Tube. Having abused its position as a public broadcaster it must be brought fully to account and those responsible in the BBC must be identified in public and fired. Do you think the BBC would have dared to show a similarly constructed montage of the First Minister falling from the rooftop of the Scottish Parliament and if they did, how long to you think those responsible would still be in employment in the BBC?

I took it to be symbolic of the fall from the top of the SPL. They aped the Mad Men opening credits which was open to interpretation as well. Saying that this animation was about McCoist's suicide is kind of like saying that Animal farm was only about agriculture.

I can understand it coming across as slightly tasteless but sacking people? This is getting out of hand.

I took it to be symbolic of the fall from the top of the SPL. They aped the Mad Men opening credits which was open to interpretation as well. Saying that this animation was about McCoist's suicide is kind of like saying that Animal farm was only about agriculture.

I can understand it coming across as slightly tasteless but sacking people? This is getting out of hand.

:shifty: sniff sniff

Ally built on his reputation as a honest, good natured, funny guy with th BBC on a Question of Sport. Th BBC must have liked him as they kept him series after series. Why are they now allowing him to be degraded and ridiculed by the rabid minority in BBC Scotland ?

We should also be sending letters to the national BBC, and the government licensing authorities, as BBC Scotland now has no impartial integrity, but is still funded by a majority of impartial license payers.