Biggest upset in our history? Worst result ever!?

Ricky_

Honest answer people; were some of us honestly expecting us to go the entire season unbeaten? It wasn't 'unthinkable' but surely we all realized we would most likely have a slip up or 2 at some point. This is football, it's what happens, ALL the time.

http://www.betexplorer.com/soccer/scotland/division-3/matchdetails.php?matchid=1351154 typical odds offered on a Stirling win by the bookies was around 12/1. Heres a couple of bigger upsets just off the top of my head: http://www.betexplorer.com/soccer/spain/primera-division-2010-2011/matchdetails.php?matchid=370061 (odds as high as 56/1 on Hercules winning this 1). http://www.betexplorer.com/soccer/england/fa-cup-2009-2010/matchdetails.php?matchid=159677 http://www.betexplorer.com/soccer/europe/champions-league-2009-2010/matchdetails.php?matchid=135719

The truth is i could be here all day giving you examples of 12/1 shots or higher pulling off upsets. Kilmarnock were about that to win the league cup final against the tims last season.

But i think the issue for many of supporters isn't so much the results, as im sure 99% of us would put our mortgages on Rangers winning division 3, but it's the performances that are greatly concerning. I'm not going to defend them, they have been woeful at best away from home. But only last week we came flying out the traps agaisnt the SPL leaders and put in our best performance of the season so far, in a game which finished 2-0 but could've been 3 or 4 in truth.

We have it in us, but consistency & form is the hardest thing to achieve in football. Give it time, this season could still be a great success.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't accept that we can play good, fast attacking football one week and then offer up utter shite the next.

It's not a one off and has been the case for some months now.

The players and manager have all said they do not know why it is happening which is a real concern imo. It seems we are just going out hoping things change rather than making the changes in training/ during a game to actually make the outcome different.

These are not slip ups anymore.

A slip up or two?

It's been four slip ups out of the first seven attempts.

results wise, it's been 1. Unless you think we could win VERY game!?

I think the stand out point ive noticed from our support is the unrealistic expectation to win every single game by 6 or 7.

Heres a question for you, we play 38 games. What is our expections of the 38, in terms of wins, losses & draws?

tbh, i wasn't as embarrassed as i would be say 3 years ago. not trying to make excuses here but the squad had been ripped to shreds over the summer, and we now have pretty much a completely new team. obviously i was disappointed when we lost to Stirling and QOTS but we have to realise the position we are in

I think the stand out point ive noticed from our support is the unrealistic expectation to win every single game by 6 or 7.

Heres a question for you, we play 38 games. What is our expections of the 38, in terms of wins, losses & draws?

Most of those I have seen like that are tongue in cheek, what we should be expecting is to be able to pass a ball to each other and show the difference between part time and full time players.

Most of our away games if not all you would struggle to pick out who is the team full of SPL and international players and the one with joiners, teachers ect who train twice a week.

So draws against these teams don't even count as slip ups now? I guess Queen of the South was a gallant effort that our brave players and manager were unlucky to lose on the lottery of penalties?

Sweet baby jesus.

I said from the start we wouldn't win every match out of a 36 game season but we're in october and failed to win more than we've won. This is clearly not just the law of averages, there's a serious problem.

Honest answer people; were some of us honestly expecting us to go the entire season unbeaten? It wasn't 'unthinkable' but surely we all realized we would most likely have a slip up or 2 at some point. This is football, it's what happens, ALL the time.

http://www.betexplorer.com/soccer/scotland/division-3/matchdetails.php?matchid=1351154 typical odds offered on a Stirling win by the bookies was around 12/1. Heres a couple of bigger upsets just off the top of my head: http://www.betexplorer.com/soccer/spain/primera-division-2010-2011/matchdetails.php?matchid=370061 (odds as high as 56/1 on Hercules winning this 1). http://www.betexplorer.com/soccer/england/fa-cup-2009-2010/matchdetails.php?matchid=159677 http://www.betexplorer.com/soccer/europe/champions-league-2009-2010/matchdetails.php?matchid=135719

The truth is i could be here all day giving you examples of 12/1 shots or higher pulling off upsets. Kilmarnock were about that to win the league cup final against the tims last season.

But i think the issue for many of supporters isn't so much the results, as im sure 99% of us would put our mortgages on Rangers winning division 3, but it's the performances that are greatly concerning. I'm not going to defend them, they have been woeful at best away from home. But only last week we came flying out the traps agaisnt the SPL leaders and put in our best performance of the season so far, in a game which finished 2-0 but could've been 3 or 4 in truth.

We have it in us, but consistency & form is the hardest thing to achieve in football. Give it time, this season could still be a great success.

I'd suggest attitude is more of an issue.

Drawings aren't slip ups at this level?

Winning zero from 4 away from home is only one slip up?

3 wins from 7 is one slip up?

12 points from 21 is one slip up?

I expect much, much, much better than that.

Its 36 games but the point remains the same. Some, while they won't admit it, thought we were gonna have a nice easy trip back. Where our biggest worry would be not scoring too many to piss the other team off. doh

Nah.

We had been given a chance (forced upon us) to change our footballing philosophy by being demoted to the bottom tier in Scotland, it’s not the results that is the problem but the continual piss poor attitude shown by the players who are not taking our away games seriously.

The fans certainly are, travelling in numbers providing some of the best atmospheres in the country at the minute yet the players keep up serving mediocre performances against pub teams and that’s what they are.

There is no progress being made at all since the first game of the season away from home, we kept telling ourselves it was a lack of pre season, players need to gel…ect..ect. Here we are in October and we are still producing a horrible standard of football against some of the lowest ranked teams in Scotland.

So draws against these teams don't even count as slip ups now? I guess Queen of the South was a gallant effort that our brave players and manager were unlucky to lose on the lottery of penalties?

Sweet baby jesus.

I said from the start we wouldn't win every match out of a 36 game season but we're in october and failed to win more than we've won. This is clearly not just the law of averages, there's a serious problem.

Why only include league games?

Brechin 2-1 Rangers (ET)

Rangers 4-0 East Fife

Peterhead 2-2 Rangers

Rangers 5-1 East Stirlingshire

Falkirk 0-1 Rangers

Berwick 1-1 Rangers

Rangers 3-0 Falkrik

Rangers 5-1 Elgin

Annan 0-0 Rangers

Rangers 2-2 QoS (L pk)

Rangers 4-1 Montrose

Rangers 2-0 Motherwell

Forres Mechanics 0-1 Rangers

Stirling 1-0 Rangers

14 competitive games. 1 loss in 90 minutes. 1 loss on penalties. 3 draws. 9 wins, 3 of those coming against div 1 & SPL opposition.

9W, 2L & 3D is not form we are used to seeing from Rangers - especially not considering the quality of opposition we are up against - but it's far from a crisis.

A third division team lose to another third division team. Big deal.

Or:

The greatest club in Scotland lose to the worst team in Scotland. Humiliation.

You could read it either way.

good point, but although we are the best club, we do not have the beat team, for the first time that i can remember. the current squad with the current attitude would struggle to finish in the top 6 of the SPL

9W, 2L & 3D is not form we are used to seeing from Rangers - especially not considering the quality of opposition we are up against - but it's far from a crisis.

The crisis is in the performances and being outplayed by teams with 100 times less budgets. It's not only about results. Look a little deeper.

The crisis is in the performances and being outplayed by teams with 100 times less budgets. It's not only about results. Look a little deeper.

i made the point in the original post it was the performance & not the results thats the issue - but that will come. Its the hardest thing for any manager to achieve and takes time.

& nobody has outplayed us - we've been the better side in every game we've played this season, if you were to judge the 2 teams as if you had never seen either play before (not that im saying that makes it acceptable).

Nah.

We had been given a chance (forced upon us) to change our footballing philosophy by being demoted to the bottom tier in Scotland, it’s not the results that is the problem but the continual piss poor attitude shown by the players who are not taking our away games seriously.

The fans certainly are, travelling in numbers providing some of the best atmospheres in the country at the minute yet the players keep up serving mediocre performances against pub teams and that’s what they are.

There is no progress being made at all since the first game of the season away from home, we kept telling ourselves it was a lack of pre season, players need to gel…ect..ect. Here we are in October and we are still producing a horrible standard of football against some of the lowest ranked teams in Scotland.

I forgot this was all for our benefit! FFS Given a choice pal I wouldn't choose SFL 3 for Rangers.

They tried to kill us. We survived but strength comes with time. We will be strong again but we'll have to endure a few kicks more as we travel back up the leagues. Just ask Ian Black

Why only include league games?

Brechin 2-1 Rangers (ET)

Rangers 4-0 East Fife

Peterhead 2-2 Rangers

Rangers 5-1 East Stirlingshire

Falkirk 0-1 Rangers

Berwick 1-1 Rangers

Rangers 3-0 Falkrik

Rangers 5-1 Elgin

Annan 0-0 Rangers

Rangers 2-2 QoS (L pk)

Rangers 4-1 Montrose

Rangers 2-0 Motherwell

Forres Mechanics 0-1 Rangers

Stirling 1-0 Rangers

14 competitive games. 1 loss in 90 minutes. 1 loss on penalties. 3 draws. 9 wins, 3 of those coming against div 1 & SPL opposition.

Away from home has been appalling both in results and performances, even the away wins in the cups have been average displays at best.

QOS aside the home games have been good but for a club of our stature and ambitions we can't just be doing it at home.

Being in the third division doesn't mean we cannot have standards Ricky. The odd bad result (draws I include in that just to be clear) here and there will happen by law of averages more than anything but it's far too regular right now.

I forgot this was all for our benefit! FFS Given a choice pal I wouldn't choose SFL 3 for Rangers.They tried to kill us. We survived but strength comes with time. We will be strong again but we'll have to endure a few kicks more as we travel back up the leagues. Just ask Ian Black

I didn't say you did....

I said the decision was forced upon us and by being put in this situation we have a chance to change how we play the game.

I have no idea what you are going on about tbh.

We were pretty shite last season as well to be honest. Only against Celtic did we really roar. The rest of the season consisted of ground-out victories and poor defeats in the cups and in Europe.

Obviously the spell around February/March was exceptional and shouldn't really be held against McCoist I don't think.

I didn't say you did....

I said the decision was forced upon us and by being put in this situation we have a chance to change how we play the game.

I have no idea what you are going on about tbh.

'We have a chance to change this and that make our club better' etc Like we should be grateful or something. If I've read that wrong, apologies, but What was so wrong with our philosophy? We won leagues and cups regularly for over a century. Why does it need radically altered for future success. We weren't broken we were attacked and banished. Yes we'd all love to play the beautiful silky passing game but this is Rangers winning is above everything!

I don't have much understanding with your post either pal

Away from home has been appalling both in results and performances, even the away wins in the cups have been average displays at best.

QOS aside the home games have been good but for a club of our stature and ambitions we can't just be doing it at home.

Being in the third division doesn't mean we cannot have standards Ricky. The odd bad result (draws I include in that just to be clear) here and there will happen by law of averages more than anything but it's far too regular right now.

you just hit that nail with a bang

'We have a chance to change this and that make our club better' etc Like we should be grateful or something. If I've read that wrong, apologies, but What was so wrong with our philosophy? We won leagues and cups regularly for over a century. Why does it need radically altered for future success. We weren't broken we were attacked and banished. Yes we'd all love to play the beautiful silky passing game but this is Rangers winning is above everything!

I don't have much understanding with your post either pal

Footballing philosophy – brand of football being played.

We cannot stick with the same old style Walter used because we simply do not have the players to make that system work anymore.

We have picked up talented players like Shiels, Templeton, Black while bringing through guys like Aird, McKay and McLeod. The long punt up the park to a work horse like Miller is not going to work with these players, we need to start ‘playing’ football.

I never once stated we should be happy with where we are but I did rather imply we should be making the most of it.