SPL clubs gave 'unanimous backing' to admitting 30 SFL teams into league

Scottish Premier League clubs have given their unanimous approval to plans for the admission of 30 new teams to the league.

The proposal would see two divisions of 12, which would split into three leagues of eight after two rounds of games.

The teams in each pool would then compete respectively for the championship, a place in SPL1 in the new campaign, and relegation out of the setup.

The third tier would comprise an 18-team division, meaning the SPL's solution will include the invitation of all current SFL clubs, leaving the SPL as the sole operator of a professional football league in Scotland.

Their not backing down are they, do you think any SFL clubs will join or will we all stand firm and see them fall.

After a meeting of clubs on Monday, SPL chief executive Neil Doncaster said he was "delighted" at the backing for the plans, stating no vote was required to approve them.

Despite that claim, a "special qualified resolution" would be required to formally expand the league and admit new teams.

A 10-2 vote in favour would be needed to add to the current 12 sides.

SFL clubs must give two full seasons worth of notice to quit their league. That rule can be bypassed if 66% of clubs vote to do so at a general meeting.

The SFL have opposing plans, which involve SPL clubs returning to the body it broke away from in 1998 to form the independent top flight.

Under their proposal, the top flight would accommodate 16 teams, with the second tier including ten sides. The bottom tier, as with the SPL idea, would also have 16 clubs.

The SPL, SFL and Scottish FA will meet on Thursday to further discuss reconstruction proposals.

This is not a good idea. WHY THE FUCK DO THEY THINK THIS.

It is even more boring than the current set-up and, in my opinion, would drive even more fans away.

Club's like Dundee, Partick Thistle etc want to see their Club compete v Rangers, Celtic, Hearts, Hibs all season long rather than just half the season than, should they not be near the top, have to suffer dull games for the rest of the season.

Get the SPHell plans to fuck, because that is what they will create. Hell.

Only these morons could come up with that ridiculous "2 leagues of 12 splitting into 3 of 8". What a complete and utter laughing stock we will be as a league...even more so than now. I sincerely hope the SFL clubs see this for what it is, a thinly veiled attempt to dissolve the SFL, giving the SPL all the power....that's a frightening prospect given some of their decisions and ideas.... (td)

Invite 30 SFL clubs into SPL are they serious or living on a different plant from us. This is a game of cat and mouse and who will be more powerful. What I would say is let them get on with it, see how their SPL surives when TV monies are on the table, I am sure a few clubs will go under.

Puts us nowhere m8 we start the season with 3 leagues near the end of the season we will have 4 leagues , 3 X 8 and 18 so I would guess we would be in the bottom division even after winning the 3rd in my opinion, hence the reason how is this good for Scottish football, it makes no sense to me. really all they have done is take 2 teams from the second division and place into the first division, the SPL will still be the top, aw feck it ive the the plot with now

The problem with Scottish football is no matter who changes what the standard is still shite! Surely we should go down a "premiership" type route! For aslong as I've known scottish football its been the same kinda set up. The SPL changed that slightly but its basically the same!

Get a 20 or 18 team top tier! All the best leagues have that type of set up! We're told the SPL don't need Rangers so surely that puts the need for 4 OF games out the window?

If we had the home and away set up then surely it would make it easier for other teams to make a proper go of sustaining a challenge?

The problem with Scottish football is no matter who changes what the standard is still shite! Surely we should go down a "premiership" type route! For aslong as I've known scottish football its been the same kinda set up. The SPL changed that slightly but its basically the same!

Get a 20 or 18 team top tier! All the best leagues have that type of set up! We're told the SPL don't need Rangers so surely that puts the need for 4 OF games out the window?

If we had the home and away set up then surely it would make it easier for other teams to make a proper go of sustaining a challenge?

Nothing can imrpove it greatly unless TV throw silly money at it which will never happen.

There aren't enough teams to warrant such a set-up. It didn't work when there was more strength in depth, so why would it do so now?

There aren't enough teams to warrant such a set-up. It didn't work when there was more strength in depth, so why would it do so now?

I really dunno mate but the current set up doesn't work and these new changes are pretty baffling

There is no answer to it as the audience just isn't there.

It's a slow death.

Scotland per head has more people going to the football than most European countries. Scotland has 2 problems...

1: To many teams for the population of 5 million

2: Out of the 5 million half of them supports The Rangers so other clubs gaining more support is never going to happen.

Oglivie has his say i cant see the spl clubs giving up any money rights.

Scottish FA president Campbell Ogilvie says closing the financial gap between SPL and SFL clubs is a more pressing issue than the composition of new divisions.

The Scottish Premier League’s members gave their backing to a 12-12-18 league structure on Monday, which would see the top two tiers split into an 8-8-8 competition in the second half of the season.

Scottish Football League plans revealed several weeks ago proposed a 16-10-16 setup, with the introduction of play-offs between the top two leagues.

The majority of the debate among supporters has focused on how many teams will play in each league.

Ogilvie, who sits on the Scottish FA’s Professional Game Board which is brokering talks between the two league bodies, believes finance and increasing promotion places are more important matters.

“Too often the debate has centered around the number of teams in the leagues,” he siid. “That's not the answer. League reconstruction to me is much more fundamental.

“Is it going to produce more quality young players? Is it going to create attractive games for the supporters? More games that are meaningful, with more to play for?

“The financial model at the moment where a club drops out the Premier League and gets £750,000, down to £75,000 for team one [First Division winners] in the SFL.

“One chance to come up, one promotion place, when there are five or six SPL-type teams in the First Division. That's not sustainable.

“We've got to create a model that will give something to everybody, all 42 clubs. For me the biggest issue on the distribution model at the moment is the gap between team 12 [in the SPL] and team one in the SFL.

“The only way that distribution can be remedied is for SPL teams to give a bit to flatten out the payments. That has to happen.

“To be fair, a lot of these clubs are now looking at that. Some might say there is too much self-interest. Naturally, clubs when they are getting the door knocked down by bank managers have to look at the short-term. To me we've got to be longer-term.

“Whatever model we have in place, the distribution model for all 42 clubs is a prerequisite.

“These are more key issues, which I know both league bodies buy into, that have to be rectified.

“I would work on the areas that there's agreement on. Forget the numbers for a minute, put them to one side, as in the number of teams in the league.

“Get the fundamentals we agree on and move that forward. I believe that can be achieved.”