Rangers ask Neil Alexander to take 50% wage cut as he's offered new 1 year deal

LeeWallaceRFC

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope we are not going down the road of some other clubs. Loyalty given should get loyalty recieved.

While I agree he is on too much money, they should get round the negotiating table and thrash out a deal.

Its only 8 months ago we were calling him a legend for staying. Now some folk are saying lets just get rid of him.

IMO, and if the story is true, he is not being treated in the manner I expect from Rangers.

I don't know what you want us to do here?

We have a good goalkeeper who showed great loyalty to stay BUT was paid handsomely to do so....he is in his mid 30's and has no sell on value. The contract he is currently on is unsustainable therefore he has been offered a new contract on reduced terms (If the story is to be believed) now if Neil can get a better deal elsewhere good luck to him but we can't make the same mistakes of the past and at times that will mean being ruthless. Paying over the odds through sentiment or a perceived sense of loyalty is madness. Where does that end? Do we offer Kevin Kyle a new deal because he came to us in the 3rd? If we want to get back to the top some unpopular decisions will have to be made for the good of the club.

He certainly didn't look fuming yesterday i met him yesterday and he was joking with my son and we watched him train with the other goalies, he put in a shift and was slagging Durrant for not being able to score past him.

Not sure the story is completely true, I do think we need to negotiate wages but do want Neil to stay - still a good goalie and stayed loyal to us no matter about what others say - he stayed when others walked ( we shall not forget)

I like Alexander and hope he stays but as a club we need to spend money wisely and £10k a week for a keeper with no sell on value in the lower leagues of Scotland dosent make financial sense.

If he cant live on £5k a week then he should look to move on

He can leave wth his head held high in my opinnion

We have a good goalkeeper who showed great loyalty to stay BUT was paid handsomely to do so....he is in his mid 30's and has no sell on value. The contract he is currently on is unsustainable therefore he has been offered a new contract on reduced terms (If the story is to be believed) now if Neil can get a better deal elsewhere good luck to him but we can't make the same mistakes of the past and at times that will mean being ruthless. Paying over the odds through sentiment or a perceived sense of loyalty is madness. Where does that end? Do we offer Kevin Kyle a new deal because he came to us in the 3rd? If we want to get back to the top some unpopular decisions will have to be made for the good of the club.

I expect us to act with some loyalty.

Give him a 2yr deal on reduced terms, not a 50% cut.

Plus, if the story is to be believed, why would we want his reduced contract to start immediately instead of at the end of his current deal?

There will be a sell on value but not if hes out of contract. 34 is not old for a keeper.

So, whats your take on it? Just get rid?

Alexander has been a loyal servant, but we have also been incredibly loyal to him by paying him a fortune to sit on a bench for 90% of the season for the past four years.

He doesn't owe us anything and we don't owe him any thing either. If they can't agree a new deal then it's good luck Neil and thanks for your service because that's just the way football goes sometimes.

I expect us to act with some loyalty.

Give him a 2yr deal on reduced terms, not a 50% cut.

Plus, if the story is to be believed, why would we want his reduced contract to start immediately instead of at the end of his current deal?

There will be a sell on value but not if hes out of contract. 34 is not old for a keeper.

So, whats your take on it? Just get rid?

It's not a case of just get rid mate. He has been a good servant but he has been rewarded for that over the past 5 years on a very good contract. No club in their right mind would pay a fee for Alexander as a 35/36 year old if we offered him a longer deal, and certainly not on the terms he is on with us.

He is a victim of circumstance to a degree but we can't sustain the money he is on at the moment and as we progress improvements will be made in certain areas...we have a potentially top class keeper coming through our youths and I would say bell is a better all round keeper for the immediate future. I would offer him a years contract on the same as black, sheils etc. if he is not happy with that fair enough and if he can get a better deal elsewhere then good luck to him. Look at even the EPL clubs...even top players in their mid 30's aren't getting offered deals because their on to much money for the return you will get...Christ lampard who is still quality isn't getting offered terms by Chelsea. Just the way football has to work.

..This is exactly how i see it...thanks for your loyalty Neil and history will show you were one of the few that stayed and helped put us back on our feet, for that you will always be afforded great respect...now if the stories in the papers are to be believed then the club offered you £10 grand a week for another year, a great offer considering we are playing in the 3rd...now appparently hes turned that down because he wanted two years at £10 grand...fair enough it would be crazy for Rangers to pay that when we can get Cammy Bell for less than half of that..

If true, and I have my doubts, the club are going about their business the right way.

New contract or not Neil won't be in our squad when we're back in the top league, you wouldn't hire a limo to drive you to work when your car can do the same job for less outlay.

Would like him to stay but the days of paying silly money for no return are over.