Rangers ask Neil Alexander to take 50% wage cut as he's offered new 1 year deal

LeeWallaceRFC

Not sure if there's any truth in this tbh. Esp the bit about the new contract to take immediate effect. Were their current terms not protected for 12months under TUPE? It just looks like mischief making from the sun with a bit of help from his agent - probably to let other clubs know he might be available! It's just like the good old days when we had an away game they'd have Mcgregor plastered all over the front + back pages on the morning of the game.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10k a week is a lot of money for a not very good goalkeeper. I appreciate everything he's done for us, but he's lost his way recently and we just can't justify wages like that in divison 3

He was initially offered £10K but thats been cut if you read the story properly. As for 'a not very good goalkeeper' I would hope that you aren't being serious. He's a solid keeper who has rarely let us down. I'm sure if he was offered a 2 year deal at 50% of his current deal he would happily sign.

What I'd like to know is who will be in goal for our games prior to 1st September if he does leave? If Bell does sign a pre contract I can't see him playing for Killie again this season so he'll hardly be match sharp. We seem to be gambling on whoever comes in rather than giving them competition from a very capable keeper who will always give his all for the club.

It was reported a few weeks ago that he's currently on 14k a week which is a ridiculous wage to be paying whilst we're in the 3rd division, in fact it's a ridiculous wage to have been paying a second choice keeper in the SPL. If we've now offered him less than 50% of his current wage, say between 5 and 7k a week, that is still a huge amount of money to be paying out for a keeper at 34 years of age with no sell on value. Neil has been great for us but we have also been great for him, he's earned millions, won titles, cups and played in a major European final. Some people will argue that we should be loyal to a man who stayed with us in the third division but it is financial suicide to be paying a player 10k+ per week, when we can have someone like Cammy Bell on less than half that amount and also have the option of selling him on for a large profit in the future.

I think paying him any more than 2k a week is ridiculous tbh. No sell on value, no interest from other clubs (certainly no-one in Scotland will pay him near what he's on). He's at the point of his career where he should take what's offered, we've offered..

Did we have these negative comments about Lee McCullochs new 2 yr contract?

No sell on value, should be grateful with the deal he had, no other team would pay those wages, best days behind him etc..........just asking.

Certainly a question which is very valid; both players would not get a fraction of their past,present/ alleged future wages elsewhere

No sell on value, should be grateful with the deal he had, no other team would pay those wages, best days behind him etc..........just asking.

McCullcoh will be the biggest paid at Ibrox because he TUPED over. When the contract runs out i think we'll see McCulloch getting offered the same as Alexander.

I may be wrong but I'm sure jig took a reduced wage on his new 2 year contract. He is the club captain as well and had he been expecting to stay on the same terms as before I would be surprised.

This loyalty thing people talk about! Where does that end? Does jig get another contract after this because he was "loyal"? We need to move on as a club....

Out of context? :lol:

Trust me it's a dirty word and we shouldn't be using it anymore because most of us have forgotten its meaning.

Just the other day after the rising broadcast you said it's time to draw a line under the past and move on....if we keep looking back and overpaying players out of "loyalty" we will not move forward.

Not happy. Neil has been great for us.If this is true. Sad times. So much for loyalty.

Rangers just cant win.

In almost every threat regarding NA, the general consensus is that he is on far too much money to be playing in the lower leagues of Scottish football, he is getting older, and he isnt really worth the money.

Now that Rangers have actually done something about that and tried to cut his wages, it's shocking we are treating him like this.

If they had offered him another 2 years on the same money he is currently on, then half the site would be raging at us spending so much money on him.