Thermopylae

1. Justin Bieber has lived 40.8% of his life

2. Lionel Messi has scored 291 goals

3. 29 English teams have won domestic trophies

4. Facebook, Twitter, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, and iPhone were all invented

5. Rihanna has released 7 albums

6. Arsenal have bought 49 players

7. Arsenal have sold 79 players

8. Players who have left Arsenal have gone on to win 53 trophies between them elsewhere

9. Chelsea have had 9 different managers

10. Andre Santos played 22 times for Brazil

11. World population has gone up by 7.2%

...since Arsenal last won a trophy.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Justin Bieber has lived 40.8% of his life

2. Lionel Messi has scored 291 goals

3. 29 English teams have won domestic trophies

4. Facebook, Twitter, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, and iPhone were all invented

5. Rihanna has released 7 albums

6. Arsenal have bought 49 players

7. Arsenal have sold 79 players

8. Players who have left Arsenal have gone on to win 53 trophies between them elsewhere

9. Chelsea have had 9 different managers

10. Andre Santos played 22 times for Brazil

11. World population has gone up by 7.2%

...since Arsenal last won a trophy.

Holy fuck! :lol:

I would give Arsene at least another two seasons at Arsenal.

Now that the stadium is paid off and FFP is coming into play I think we'll see Arsenal come back in and challenge.

There are ways around FFP.

It's not going to change much at all really.

There are ways around FFP.

It's not going to change much at all really.

I suppose there's always loopholes in these things.

Still, I like the idea of a club that's put a plan into place for the future, being patient and then reaping the benefits of long term planning. There's too much short sightedness in football these days.

I suppose there's always loopholes in these things.

Still, I like the idea of a club that's put a plan into place for the future, being patient and then reaping the benefits of long term planning. There's too much short sightedness in football these days.

Of course there is, the nature of the beast and all that.

At the level he's trying to compete at, I would say he is.

He brought a brand of football to England which improved the whole league.

The players he brought in and the youngsters he has gave time to develop prove he is/was one of the best.

Stuborn and set in his ways maybe regarding not spending millions like the others but his hands were tied regarding losing the best players.

To call him a shit manager is a crazy statement to make imo.

He brought a brand of football to England which improved the whole league.

The players he brought in and the youngsters he has gave time to develop prove he is/was one of the best.

Stuborn and set in his ways maybe regarding not spending millions like the others but his hands were tied regarding losing the best players.

To call him a shit manager is a crazy statement to make imo.

This.

Man Utd have a net spend of nearly £75m in that period.

Jones was £17m

De Gea was £18m

Young was £17m

RVP was £22m

Kagawa was £12m etc etc.

They did churn a £60m+ profit the year they sold Ronaldo though, but that only just offset the two years worth of spending that preceded it (£30m Berbatov, £17m Hargreaves whilst selling Pique and Guiseppi Rossi for a combined £13m - bad business).

£17 million on Owen Hargreaves. :disappointment:

I would like him to get another 2-3 years.

Stadium paid off, FFP, 2 new sponsorships on almost double the money for arsenal and more television money. Think arsenal can properly start to compete for players. Dont think they will lose anyone important this summer and will certainly add quality.

I would like him to get another 2-3 years.

Stadium paid off, FFP, 2 new sponsorships on almost double the money for arsenal and more television money. Think arsenal can properly start to compete for players. Dont think they will lose anyone important this summer and will certainly add quality.

While United, Chelsea, City and even Spurs increase their sponorships and TV money too.

Top 4 is vital, if they miss out on it then you could have a Liverpool scenario at Arsenal.

Lose against Spurs and it's panic stations as Arsenal don't usually finish seasons strong.

While United, Chelsea, City and even Spurs increase their sponorships and TV money too.

Top 4 is vital, if they miss out on it then you could have a Liverpool scenario at Arsenal.

Lose against Spurs and it's panic stations as Arsenal don't usually finish seasons strong.

i dont know when their sponsorships run out/ are getting new ones so not sure on them. Just know Arsenals stadium, kit and shirt sponsors are/have been renewed and for about double what they were getting before, cash reserves of about 100 million mean Arsenal wont have a liverpool problem imo. Arsenal arent far away and it wont take silly money to get them up there. I know people say big players wont want to come without champs league football but i think most players are smart enough to know Arsenal is a fantastic move especially now where they arent financially handicapped and can compete better. This will be the first summer they dont need to sell a top player and will actually add to their squad. The business done last summer and january was good but unfortunately had to sell song and RVP to keep running at a profit. This summer deadwood like squillaci, arshavin, djourou fabianski etc will be gone, no1 will leave and they can add. It is looking better

They might not be gone if no one wants them, who would take them tbh?

Players want CL football and to win trophies this is why you seen RVP, Fabregas, Nasri ect leave and that will not change if they miss out on top 4 this season.

The attitude will not change because a stadium is paid off, that means hee haw to the players, they want medals and as soon as possible.

More chance of that at 3 or 4 English clubs than there is at Arsenal atm.

It doesn't seem to be seen in the same way as silverware, but for Wenger to guide Arsenal into the Champions League for 11 (?) straight seasons whilst downgrading and the competition getting stronger is an absolutely immense achievement. People really shouldn't underestimate that.

Someone made the point that Wenger has never signed a world-class player, and I don't think that's a criticism of him as a manager, I actually think that's a compliment. He's never signed a world-class player but still has a net profit in the transfer market? He's still produced the players that he has had? That's unbelievable.

I found this table online of the 20 teams in the Premiership this season and their net spend in the last decade. http://www.sportingintelligence.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/PL-decade-spending.jpg

Just look at where Arsenal are positioned. They have a net spend more than half as less as SUNDERLAND have. Even just compare them to Spurs, they have just under 5 times less than Spurs in the last 10 years and as far as I'm aware their City Rivals have never finished above them once in those 10 years. If you ask me, when you compare those figures (City and Chelsea are astronomical) it's a monumental acheivement that Wenger has been able to consistently ensure Arsenal are a Top 4 team. FFS, Wolves who are now in the relegation zone in the Championship have pretty much the same figures as Arsenal.

It must be incredibly difficult to acheive success if your best players are always being sold above your head, sometimes to your title rivals. Arsenal would be a completely different team if they still had RVP, Fabregas, Nasri, Clichy etc, not to mention teams like United and City wouldn't be as good too. People can judge Arsene Wenger on how many FA Cups or League Cups he hasn't won in the last 8 years, but they'll be ignorant fools if they don't take into judgement these factors too. Give him money, and a free pass to sign whoever he wants to and keep the players he wants and I'll judge him then if he fails. My instincts tell me he won't.

The first thing he did was buy Viera, then brought in the likes of Henry etc.. Short of Bergkamp, Wenger signed almost all of the invincibles team.

He also led Arsenal through two seasons only losing like one league match. His win % is remarkable when you consider it's only a fraction behind Ferguson and he's done it on a significantly smaller budget and whilst his board sold his best players - some of which to Man Utd directly!

I think he's done 'alright', aye..

he never bought Keown and parlour