Should Rangers Appoint A Director Of Football?

BlueSuedeSambas

The role of DOF was disucessed on the Footballers Football Show last week and there is a quick clip of the discussion here:

http://www.skysports...8515138,00.html

In Summary David Pleat, Brian McDermott & Damien Comolli say thart DOF's help play a vital role with regards to:

- Philosophy of way club play from academy to first team level

- Recruitment at all levels to ensure longevity style of play, etc, etc

- Helps take weight off of the managers shoulder and allows them to focus on coaching

- Player contracts/recruitment, organising trips, loan situations, medical department, sport science

- Being a liason between manager and the board

Now everybody acknowledges the work that Ally McCoist has done for the club. You can see how much he has aged in the past year in doing so, so should Charles Green (who has plenty of battles of his own to fight at the moment) be thinking about possibly appointing a DOF for us, not to undermine McCoist, but to actually help him rebuild/restructure the club from top to bottom (something that is spoken about on here on a daily basis)

Interestingly, Damien Comolli went on to point out that all the English clubs who won trophies last year (Chelsea, Liverpool & Man city had DOF's), two of the three promoted clubs last year (Reading & Southampton) have DOF's and they specifically mentioned Dan Ashworth, who did a fantastic job at WBA in that role and now finds himself in a position of power at the FA as a result.

Obviously the role is still massively ridiculed in Britain, but it's a very prominent role across Europe and we have seen first hand on a number of occassions how outdated our style of play and philosophy is when we go in to European competition and as David Jones stated at the beginning of that clip "of the sixteen clubs left in the Champions League only three do not have DOF's (Arsenal, Man Utd & celtic)"

So a DOF for Rangers? A good idea, or a bad one?

It's a complex relationship and not as simple as it comes across in black and white. Imo, it only works if the DOF trusts the Manager and vice versa. I'm not opposed to the idea but it can create tension and divisions. Something we really don't need to risk right now. Perhaps for when we're back in the top league looking at Europe.

It's a complex relationship and not as simple as it comes across in black and white. Imo, it only works if the DOF trusts the Manager and vice versa. I'm not opposed to the idea but it can create tension and divisions. Something we really don't need to risk right now. Perhaps for when we're back in the top league looking at Europe.

That's the crux of the issue for me, you have to get the appointment right or it's a disaster. but I still felt it was a decent topic worth discussing and if we spent the next year or so looking at people who could be considered for the role I think we could get it right.

The role of DOF was disucessed on the Footballers Football Show last week and there is a quick clip of the discussion here:

http://www.skysports...8515138,00.html

In Summary David Pleat, Brian McDermott & Damien Comolli say thart DOF's help play a vital role with regards to:

- Philosophy of way club play from academy to first team level

- Recruitment at all levels to ensure longevity style of play, etc, etc

- Helps take weight off of the managers shoulder and allows them to focus on coaching

- Player contracts/recruitment, organising trips, loan situations, medical department, sport science

- Being a liason between manager and the board

Now everybody ackowledges the work that Ally McCoist has done for the club You can see how much he has aged in the past year in doing so, so should Charles Green (who has plenty of battles of his own to fight at the moment) be thinking about possibly appointing a DOF for us, not to undermine McCoist, but to actually help him rebuild/restructure the club from top to bottom (something that is spoken about on here on a daily basis)

Interestingly, Damien Comolli went on to point out that all the English clubs who won trophies last year (Chelsea, Liverpool & Man city had DOF's), two of the three promoted clubs last year (Reading & Southampton) have DOF's and they specifically mentioned Dan Ashworth, who did a fantastic job at WBA in that role and now finds himself in a position of power at the FA as a result.

Obviously the role is still massively ridiculed in Britain, but it's a very prominent role across Europe and we have seen first hand on a number of occassions how outdated our style of play and philosophy is when we go in to European competition and as David Jones stated at the beginning of that clip "of the sixteen clubs left in the Champions League only three do not have DOF's (Arsenal, Man Utd & celtic)"

So a DOF for Rangers? A good idea, or a bad one?

no - we have Waltr for support If and only if Ally wants help!

Wasnt that Gordon Smiths role last season? I know that was all enshrouded in the shyte affair but im not that keen on what ive seen of DOFs in British football, i think it can work but it has to be the right man who wont undermine the manager and wont bring players the manager doesnt want like i think GS did with alot of the trialists in Jan last year also possibly Matt Mckay, Juanma and one or two others Ally clearly didnt fancy.

Yes.

I've said before Ally needs help and someone else should be in overseeing these things. Ally is 1st team manager and IMO it's not up to him to sort out youth teams, scouting, etc, he has probably done a bit of every role at the club at some point. Green has said before he doesn't know much about football so how can we expect him to sort that out either?

I also think it's easier for a DoF to work towards long term goals than a manager who is always only a couple of results away from picking up his p45.

I've never really been a fan of the whole DOF idea.

I'd like to think we already had sufficient staff to carry out the roles that are supposed to be dealt with by a DOF. Also, I'd imagine they would command a pretty big wage and I don't really think we'd require one until we are competing in Europe again.

However, if it was someone who had a connection to the club and knew it inside out then it could be a smart move.

That's the crux of the issue for me, you have to get the appointment right or it's a disaster. but I still felt it was a decent topic worth discussing and if we spent the next year or so looking at people who could be considered for the role I think we could get it right.

That's the key for me too. If we are going to take the DOF route it cannot be a rushed appointment.

Our current management team is on a substantial wage at Rangers. If they can't do the jobs that are suggested above in our current situation. Then instead of looking to bring in extra people to help and further stretch the wage bill. Maybe it's time to cut our losses and replace.

Any DOF has to be on the same page as a Manager, if they aren't then factions start to form. In our current form, a DOF is a complete non starter.

I think it would only be feasible if, and I stress the word IF, McCoist was to leave/be dismissed. Then you could appoint a whole new management team along with a DOF who the manager could build a close working relationship with.

However, McCoist is not going anywhere soon so it is a non-starter at the moment.

Just out of interest, since you seem to be open to the idea, who do you think would be suitable and/or likely to accept it?

I think it would only be feasible if, and I stress the word IF, McCoist was to leave/be dismissed. Then you could appoint a whole new management team along with a DOF who the manager could build a close working relationship with.

However, McCoist is not going anywhere soon so it is a non-starter at the moment.

Just out of interest, since you seem to be open to the idea, who do you think would be suitable and/or likely to accept it?

tbh mate I have no idea.

I'm not even sure if it's something I would be in favour of because I don't know enough about it.

I was just getting caught up on podcasts tonight and when they started speaking about it I thought a lot of the things that they mentioned were relevant to things that people mention on here so I thought it might be thread worthy :lol:

Having a DOF can be brilliant for the manager or it can be a disaster. There are a lot of details needed to be ironed out before we have a PROPER DOF. Personally I would prefer we appoint a director of youth developement who knows what he's talking about and knows exactly how to set the coaching programmes for every age group from U/10's up to U/19's.

Having a DOF can be brilliant for the manager or it can be a disaster. There are a lot of details needed to be ironed out before we have a PROPER DOF. Personally I would prefer we appoint a director of youth developement who knows what he's talking about and knows exactly how to set the coaching programmes for every age group from U/10's up to U/19's.

That's all well and good, but. If our 1st team is playing a different style and our Manager has a different philosophy to our youth set up. We'll continue to have the same problems we currently have.

The vision has to come from the top, and then filter all the way down to youth development. If we are to be successful in progressing these players into our first team.

One vision, one philosophy throughout our club. Or it's completely pointless.

That's all well and good, but. If our 1st team is playing a different style and our Manager has a different philosophy to our youth set up. We'll continue to have the same problems we currently have.

The vision has to come from the top, and then filter all the way down to youth development. If we are to be successful in progressing these players into our first team.

One vision, one philosophy throughout our club. Or it's completely pointless.

That's why I said the following; "Having a DOF can be brilliant for the manager or it can be a disaster. There are a lot of details needed to be ironed out before we have a PROPER DOF."

The DOF must have the final say on what direction and shape our complete set up will take,then implement it from the top team down all the way to the U/10's (or even earlier)