More Misses Than Hits For Ally Signings

djbroxybear

By MATTHEW LINDSAY

ALLY McCOIST has enjoyed varying degrees of success with the players he has signed since becoming Rangers manager in 2011.

He was shackled by some financial constraints – an early indication of the troubles that were to come – when he succeeded Walter Smith.

Then in the summer he had to work quickly to put together a squad after the Ibrox club just managed to emerge from their financial difficulties.

But have the players McCoist has signed as Gers boss been a HIT, a MISS or is the JURY OUT?

SEASON 2011/12

Juan Ortiz (MISS) The Spaniard played a handful of games before returning to his homeland to play for Almeria on loan. Moved on to Granada in the summer.

Lee Wallace (HIT) The £2million the Scotland left-back cost Rangers from Hearts raised eyebrows at the time. That has, though, proved to be money well spent.

Alejandro Bedoya (MISS) The American winger hardly featured in the first team in his time in Scotland due to injury. Looked promising when he did play. Moved to Helsingborgs last year.

Dorin Goian (HIT) The Romanian internationalist's stunning early-season form faded badly. But the centre-half was popular with the fans. On loan at Spezia in Italy.

Carlos Bocanegra (HIT) The fact the United States internationalist was asked to captain Rangers spoke volumes of his success in Scotland. Now at Santander in Spain on loan.

Matt McKay (MISS) The Australian winger played very little during his time in Scotland. He moved on to Busan Ipark in South Korea in February.

Mervan Celik (MISS) The Swedish forward was the Ibrox club's only signing last January. Left for free in March after just a handful of appearances.

SEASON 2012/13

Dean Shiels (JURY OUT) The Northern Ireland internationalist has often struggled with injury this season. Has had good, bad and indifferent games.

Ian Black (JURY OUT) The tough-tackling former Hearts midfielder has been subjected to some harsh treatment himself in the fourth tier this term.

Emilson Cribari (MISS) The Brazilian centre-half has been fine against lesser opposition. But he has often struggled. Is limited in the air.

Anestis Argyriou (MISS) The Greek defender started the season brightly. But he is basically a squad player. Fills in when one of his team-mates is injured.

Sebastien Faure (MISS) Netted his first goal for Rangers against Berwick last month. Still, the French player has not impressed greatly.

David Templeton (HIT) The winger has enjoyed some outstanding games since signing from Hearts in August. At his best, he is a real crowd pleaser.

Francisco Sandaza (JURY OUT) The Spanish striker spent several months out injured last year. Has been unable to establish himself as a first-team regular.

Kevin Kyle (MISS) The big hit man has rarely been fit.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/ranger...8139n.20477767

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats what happens when you are shopping bargain basement and in division 3 its all about getting people who are willing to go div 3.

Hes never had a decent budget and a free reign to bring in the type of players he wants.

Shiels, Black, Cribari, Sandaza, Kyle, have been a let down in my oppinion for some reason these guy's are not playing to full potential.

Not tough on Faure and Argyriou I reckon

Argy has been decent though I do agree that he's basically a squad player who will get replaced sooner rather than later. Faure hasn't been too bad in my books, still young

I think this was bad scouting or maybe desperation signing's some players in Div 3 are as good as them.

ortiz -miss

bedoya - miss

goian - miss

aluko - hit

cellik - cant really comment

mckay - miss

bocanegra - hit

wallace - in the middle

shiels - miss

black- miss

sandaza - miss

templeton - in the middle

kyle - miss

faure - miss

argyriou- miss

stella - miss

cibari - miss

2 hits for me ,

wallace wasnt exactly spectacular in the SPL given what we paid for him and templeton has been really dissapointing in large patches

I think this was bad scouting or maybe desperation signing's some players in Div 3 are as good as them.

People go over the top with these notions. Most other players evidently aren't as good. We're a good 20 points clear, while being pretty turgid for the majority of games. While a few opposition players may have has good performances against us, they evidently aren't all that brilliant if they are so far behind.

Not brilliant or anything remotely like that, but young and will be decent squad players over the next couple of years

ortiz -miss

bedoya - miss

goian - miss

aluko - hit

mckay - miss

bocanegra - hit

wallace - in the middle

shiels - miss

black- miss

sandaza - miss

kyle - miss

faure - miss

argyriou- miss

stella - miss

cibari - miss

2 hits for me ,

wallace wasnt exactly spectacular in the SPL given what we paid for him and templeton has been really dissapointing in large patches

That doesn't look good reading mate.

Faure seems to be improving, for the small of games he's getting, but that's understandable due to his poor perfomances when he did gat on.

Shiels is a big dissapointment, as is Black and after a good start for Templeton, he seems to spend more time arguing with refs.

We need to stick to decent players at the lower levels and stop signing prima donna's and paying them a bloody fortune.

To do what, play as though the league is already won.

I agree it is won, but folks are not wanting to pay money to see that type of commintment, as the big empty spaces in Saturdays crowd proved, no matter how cold a day it was.

Don't really see why he can blame Alli and putt a miss at a player who is injured, it's not like he knew this was going to happen and bought the player anyway, the Greek player I wouldn't call him a hit but at the same time I wouldn't call him a miss he is a decent player who needs to work on his crossing.

Don't really see why he can blame Alli and putt a miss at a player who is injured, it's not like he knew this was going to happen and bought the player anyway, the Greek player I wouldn't call him a hit but at the same time I wouldn't call him a miss he is a decent player who needs to work on his crossing.

Who's to blame for signing these players , Kyle was injury prone before we signed him and tbh he shouldn't have got a contract.

I think we haven't seen the players potentials that Ally has signed. There is a lot of players there that are good and have proven it consistently in games either before coming to us or after leaving.

Why can't our team get the best out of them?

ortiz -miss

bedoya - miss

goian - miss

aluko - hit

mckay - miss

bocanegra - hit

wallace - in the middle

shiels - miss

black- miss

sandaza - miss

kyle - miss

faure - miss

argyriou- miss

stella - miss

cibari - miss

2 hits for me ,

WIT? Wallace has been Ally's best signing by miles and has been brilliant for us. Surely you're fishing with that?

I think we haven't seen the players potentials that Ally has signed. There is a lot of players there that are good and have proven it consistently in games either before coming to us or after leaving.

Why can't our team get the best out of them?

Good point mate that's what is alarming and when you look at the players like Black, Shiels, Sandaza, they were playing out there skin for respective clubs in SPL but have been shocking of late.

He is a defensive bombscare, poor positionally & poor tackler.He can bomb down the wing, but his crossing is rubbish. And his passing is diabolical.

Dean Shiels (JURY OUT) The Northern Ireland internationalist has often struggled with injury this season. Has had good, bad and indifferent games.

Ian Black (JURY OUT) The tough-tackling former Hearts midfielder has been subjected to some harsh treatment himself in the fourth tier this term.

Naw they are clearly Misses.

As is Goian.

Funnily enough, buying players when you don't know what league you'll be playing in doesn't tend to result in Ronaldo's and Messi's.

When has Ally ever bought a player not knowing what league he was playing in? :lol: