New Xbox

skinnymate1690

M$ have just shafted there fan base if "always on" if they add this in, Diablo 3 and sim city games got totally fucked with that concept and what happens if your net craps out on you for a while that's you left one big expensive paper weight

You won't always need to be online.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends how you define constant. They're claiming you wont need to be connected to play offline games, but the console supposedly needs to connect roughly once a day to keep working, or something along those lines.

They'd better have a damn strong showing at E3 after that mess of an unveiling.

Depends how you define constant. They're claiming you wont need to be connected to play offline games, but the console supposedly needs to connect roughly once a day to keep working, or something along those lines.

They'd better have a damn strong showing at E3 after that mess of an unveiling.

For both companies E3 is vital the games can bury or make these consoles as well as the price.

For both companies E3 is vital the games can bury or make these consoles as well as the price.

Pretty much, and if they're launching the machines this year then it's an especially important showing. I wonder if MS concentrated on the gimmicky stuff yesterday so that E3 would be mostly focused on their games?

$300 in the US , £300 in the uk ... seems fair

It's never straight conversion.. taxes, cost of living and various other factors affect the price.

The average minimum hourly rate in the US is £4.81, where as here it's £6.19.. We earn more, thus we pay more.

Pretty much, and if they're launching the machines this year then it's an especially important showing. I wonder if MS concentrated on the gimmicky stuff yesterday so that E3 would be mostly focused on their games?

E3 is a pretty hardcore gaming show so that would make sense to go down that route get the stuff that while interesting doesnt make a console win the war so to speak.

This year will be so tight with them being so similar.

It's never straight conversion.. taxes, cost of living and various other factors affect the price.

The average minimum hourly rate in the US is £4.81, where as here it's £6.19.. We earn more, thus we pay more.

How much was the Xbox in the states on this gen? It launched at around £250 here if I remember correctly.

How much was the Xbox in the states on this gen? It launched at around £250 here if I remember correctly.

US Launch - $399

UK launch- £279.99

At the time $399 was around £225.

For what its worth i don't think the XBOX 1 will launch at bang on $300.. probably closer to $350 but could easily push $400. The UK will be around £300 though..

US Launch - $399

UK launch- £279.99

At the time $399 was around £225.

For what its worth i don't think the XBOX 1 will launch at bang on $300.. probably closer to $350 but could easily push $400. The UK will be around £300 though..

Prices will fall fairly quickly though I would imagine.

If its not possible to trade games then it could be very damaging to game shops like Game/Gamestation for example. If Sony go down the same route then most shops will close....

....but then this will be bad for Sony and Microsoft as they rely a lot on retailers to sell their products. This is why I think the trade-in option will always remain.

Not true mate. Buying any and all old shite from customers that never got shifted on is what nearly ended GAME and did end Gamestation.

Frankly, if this DRM is implemented in either new console I wont be getting them. Its just another step in the direction of buying games direct from the MS or PS store. Fuck If I'm paying 49.99 for new games.

Not true mate. Buying any and all old shite from customers that never got shifted on is what nearly ended GAME and did end Gamestation.

Frankly, if this DRM is implemented in either new console I wont be getting them. Its just another step in the direction of buying games direct from the MS or PS store. Fuck If I'm paying 49.99 for new games.

Not strictly true either mate it is part of that and partly the fact Game sell pre-owned games for more than they sell the same one brand new for which is the main problem but as they get all the profit from doing this rather than having to divvy it up between the producers of the games and developers to.

The major money maker for retailers is pre-owned stuff because as Kilwinning Loyal mentioned above, they get to keep all the profits from a pre-owned game, console or accessory whereas if they sell a brand new game they have to give a percentage to the supplier.

I do agree, though, that the pre-owned shelves often seem crammed with game that dont have much chance of being sold but I guess its worth a punt for them because the amount of money they offer for a pre-owned game is an absolute joke.

But yeah, if we end up only being able to play games if we purchase/download it directly from the supplier, which I believe this is a road Sony/Microsoft will eventually go down then its going to get very costly.

That will change over time.. Right now it's believed that Sony and MS have an agreement with retailers, which means they have to sell games at the RRP(£49.99)

Once the stranglehold loosens expect the price of digital releases to fall.. You just have to look at the success of Steam on the PC to see that it can work.

The major money maker for retailers is pre-owned stuff because as Kilwinning Loyal mentioned above, they get to keep all the profits from a pre-owned game, console or accessory whereas if they sell a brand new game they have to give a percentage to the supplier.

I do agree, though, that the pre-owned shelves often seem crammed with game that dont have much chance of being sold but I guess its worth a punt for them because the amount of money they offer for a pre-owned game is an absolute joke.

But yeah, if we end up only being able to play games if we purchase/download it directly from the supplier, which I believe this is a road Sony/Microsoft will eventually go down then its going to get very costly.

They dont with consoles they have to give a percentage I think roughly 2% to the manufactuer as part of an agreement to allow them to be resold but the rest they keep all the cash for.

I took Black Ops 2 into Game the Thursday after release and me getting it on the day before and got offered £25 for it. ( Wasnt going to sell was just seeing what they would give me)

If they try to go down that road then you will see more and more hacks and chips found for the console in order to keep the cost affordable.

Having said that I think the plan for Microsoft is charge full price for every pre owned unlock they do. Just my gut feeling but I fully expect it with the price falling in time.

Otherwise whats to stop you from buying a game lending it to your mates who put it onto their Xboxs then you taking it back saying the game doesnt play or something like that

That will change over time.. Right now it's believed that Sony and MS have an agreement with retailers, which means they have to sell games at the RRP(£49.99)

Once the stranglehold loosens expect the price of digital releases to fall.. You just have to look at the success of Steam on the PC to see that it can work.

How does Steam actually work is it a third party that owns the games and you buy from them sort of thing?

How does Steam actually work is it a third party that owns the games and you buy from them sort of thing?

Basically!

It's owned by Valve(game developer: Portal, Half Life etc).. They sell most games, not just ones they make themselves. They split the profits, 30% for themselves and the rest to developers and publisher. The only developer who doesn't utilize steam is EA... and that's because they have their own version called Origin.

Basically everything is digital, you purchase games then download them to your PC... every purchase you make is also added to your steam library, so you're free to delete and redownload the games whenever you want - at no extra cost. On top of that its a community.. you can add friends, participate on the forums, earn achievements and so on. They've also got the Steam workshop for games like Skyrim.. this is where people can upload mods that they've made.

To make things even more competitive there are authorized steam key resellers like Greenman gaming and Gamefly, basically they sell game keys that can be activated on Steam. This ensures that there is always a good deal to be had!

For new releases your looking around £29.99.. but they have daily and weekly sales. On top of that winter and summer sales which last for afew weeks and have massive savings. Last summer they had every GTA and all the DLC for £4.99. I also got all the Assassins Creed games(1, 2, BH, Revelations, AC3) and all the DLC(even for AC3) for £35 last Christmas...

Was working so missed it all yesterday so reading up on it the now what I will say is it looks fucking awful did they design it in the dark?And Im a 360 owner so no playstation fanboy here,Im away to watch some vids about it and read up some more.

Basically!

It's owned by Valve(game developer: Portal, Half Life etc).. They sell most games, not just ones they make themselves. They split the profits, 30% for themselves and the rest to developers and publisher. The only developer who doesn't utilize steam is EA... and that's because they have their own version called Origin.

Basically everything is digital, you purchase games then download them to your PC... every purchase you make is also added to your steam library, so you're free to delete and redownload the games whenever you want - at no extra cost. On top of that its a community.. you can add friends, participate on the forums, earn achievements and so on. They've also got the Steam workshop for games like Skyrim.. this is where people can upload mods that they've made.

To make things even more competitive there are authorized steam key resellers like Greenman gaming and Gamefly, basically they sell game keys that can be activated on Steam. This ensures that there is always a good deal to be had!

For new releases your looking around £29.99.. but they have daily and weekly sales. On top of that winter and summer sales which last for afew weeks and have massive savings. Last summer they had every GTA and all the DLC for £4.99. I also got all the Assassins Creed games(1, 2, BH, Revelations, AC3) and all the DLC(even for AC3) for £35 last Christmas...

It is basically a third party that sells online then.

it could work for the consoles with the internal memory but then if something goes wrong your fucked as you need to pay to redownload it unless it stores to the cloud or somehow teathered to your gamer tag.

Was working so missed it all yesterday so reading up on it the now what I will say is it looks fucking awful did they design it in the dark?And Im a 360 owner so no playstation fanboy here,Im away to watch some vids about it and read up some more.

I agreed when I first seen it this morning but I actually dont mind it now lets be fair no Xbox has.ever been a thing of beauty both so far have been downright ugly it is what they have inside that counts for them.

Because of all this extra shit from the Xbox like all the TV stuff and kinect I think it will be more expensive than the PS4. On top of that, subscriptions for Xbox live will increase it too. These gens have been out for what? 6 years? At £40 a year that's an extra £240 as well.