Gregsy shocked by plight of old club Gers

ALLAN McGREGOR last night revealed his anger at Rangers’ treatment last summer — and insisted he still LOVES the club.

The Scotland keeper quit Ibrox a year ago to sign a two-year deal with Besiktas.

He walked after refusing to transfer his contract when Gers were punted into Division Three.

But they didn’t get a penny for his move to the Turkish giants.

McGregor, 31, has finally broken his silence on the Gers saga.

He said: “Rangers are a great club and a very large institution.

“Since childhood, my ambition was to be No 1 for Rangers and I managed that.

“It wasn’t easy for me. Rangers didn’t just drop into the Third Division, they were voted there. I still can’t believe it happened. It was an impossible situation for us.

“There was a vote and Rangers were put into the bottom league.

“They said it was about the spirit of sportsmanship and maintaining the integrity of football.

“We will see whether if that is still the case in two or three years.

“Rangers had serious financial problems and, more importantly, had an axe over its head because of a tax debt.

“But the problem was the owner of the club didn’t pay anything for ten months, so it was malicious intent. They could have paid it off by selling a few players.

“Before the vote, the Kilmarnock chairman said they needed Rangers because of the income they bring to his club and argued they should still be in the top division.

“There was talk of putting them down a division or changing the league structure. Some clubs even wanted Rangers banned completely.

“The Rangers chairman said after the vote: ‘At least the Third Division wanted us’. That was a very funny statement to me.”

McGregor insists he has no regrets about moving to Turkey — even if he admits to missing the intensity of Old Firm derbies.

“The Rangers-Celtic rivalry isn’t as bad as it was. Both clubs have had intensive discussions with the police, which has helped,” Greegs told Turkish magazine Tam Saha.

“The atmosphere here is slightly different. They are more crazy! It’s a compelling league and tough.

“Istanbul is a beautiful city and the people are extremely friendly.

“But what I didn’t expect was the high price of houses and the terrible traffic!”

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/leaguedivision3/4911321/Gregsy-still-shocked-by-Gers-plight.html#ixzz2S5YiHoAk

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He clearly does support us but he put his selfish desires in front of the club. If he'd transferred over and gone I'd have had no qualms.

Will always be grateful for the service he gave during his time here but he left and has to face up to that (tu)

"The high price of houses and the terrible traffic".?

Poor big bastard sounds like he's havin a nightmare over there...

Down tae yer last 4 mill and havin to sit in a traffic jam in your Porshe Cayane after 2 hours trainin must be sheer hell Al..?