Anyone ever meet Bill Struth?

Random question but did any old Ger on here or relative get to meet Bill Stuth when he was alive? If so what was he like?

Was thinking with Ally being the greatest Ranger that in 70 odd years time people will be asking the question did you ever meet Mr McCoist?

He died in 1956, so perhaps some of our younger 70 and 80 year olds may have met him ?

"Never fear, inevitably we shall have our years of failure, and when they arrive, we must reveal tolerance and sanity. No matter the days of anxiety that come our way, we shall emerge stronger because of the trials to be overcome." - Bill Struth

Don't want to stray from the thread but when did McCoist become the greatest Ranger?

When he got the job of being Rangers manager during a season when we went in to Administration. I don't think he's the greatest Ranger but those who do will no doubt give this as the reason ('glue that held us together', etc)

I know you've deleted your post but fuck it. You said the OP only suggested Ally COULD become the greatest ever Ranger. He didn't, he said Ally IS "the greatest ever Ranger". Which by default means better than Struth.

33fgufl.jpg

In my defense, I deleted my post once I re-read the OP's post.

Ally McCoist should stay at Ibrox for 2013/14 and be rated this time next year, but as it stands, he has a lot to learn in football tactics. If he learns that and looks at his coaching team before handing out their P45s, I would not say he COULD go on to be better than Bill Struth.

Bill Struth was then, McCoist is now, Rangers is Scottish football's future

I know you've deleted your post but fuck it. You said the OP only suggested Ally COULD become the greatest ever Ranger. He didn't, he said Ally IS "the greatest ever Ranger". Which by default means better than Struth.

33fgufl.jpg

Guys like Struth and Chapman at Huddersfield and Arsenal dont really exist any more. Those guys were not just football managers, they established institutions.

Others that came close were Busby and Shankly. Clough tried and suceeded only on the football park.

Nearest we come to it today, although to a much lesser degree are Ferguson and Wenger.

Bill Struth - Is one of the most successful managers in Scottish football history. Amassing 18 league championships, 10 Scottish Cups, 2 League Cups, 7 war-time championships, 19 Glasgow Cups, 17 Glasgow Merchant Charity Cups and a host of other war-time honours.

Ally McCoist - Has won the 3rd Division Title.

Bill Struth - Is one of the most successful managers in Scottish football history. Amassing 18 league championships, 10 Scottish Cups, 2 League Cups, 7 war-time championships, 19 Glasgow Cups, 17 Glasgow Merchant Charity Cups and a host of other war-time honours.

Ally McCoist - Has won the 3rd Division Title.

Aye but Bill Struth always got a preseason.

No matter how much i question weather Ally should be our manager, who else would have stayed through out all of this?

He could have walked away and got a cushy job in media etc......

Many people have said McCoist should be the greatest ever Ranger, he is record goal scorer for this club and how many of they goals were cup winning or league winning goals?

He also comes across well and is well known not just in Scotland. I hope Ally McCoist can build a good team here and become one of our best managers, if he can do that he could be here for a long time.