Hodgson asks England fans to cut out anti-IRA songs

Hodgson's plea comes in an email to all fans, who will also be handed an open letter from the Football Association about the sensitive issue as they enter Wembley on May 29.

The chant is not criminal and those singing it cannot be arrested by the Metropolitan Police. But under Article 3 of the Fifa statutes: No Surrender (to the IRA) would be deemed deserving of punishment as a form of insult pertaining to the religious and political beliefs of a certain group of people. Possible sanctions range from a fine of 30,000 Swiss francs to England being ordered to play a game behind closed doors.

Those supporters found guilty would face a stadium ban of a minimum of two years. Fifa recently decreed the FA had no case to answer over claims of 'bonfire' chants by England fans about Rio and Anton Ferdinand during the World Cup qualifier against San Marino in Serravalle on March 22. Yet it is understood the FA is effectively 'on notice' and any offensive chants at Wembley might incur Fifa's wrath.

This will be the first meeting between the sides since England fans disgraced the team and the country with a pre-planned riot at Lansdowne Road on Feb 15, 1995. The friendly against Ireland will be followed by an away game in Brazil on June 2, and the matches are part of the FA's 150th anniversary celebrations.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/england/10066464/England-manager-Roy-Hodgson-tells-fans-to-cut-out-anti-IRA-songs-at-Ireland-friendly.html

Lifted from FF, you have to be taking the piss?

Surely international football is all about patriotism

It's all about making money for the various associations, hence the campaign to force out 'undesirables' through a combination of higher ticket prices, legislation, and an assortment of measures to kill the atmosphere at matches.

But under Article 3 of the Fifa statutes: No Surrender (to the IRA) would be deemed deserving of punishment as a form of insult pertaining to the religious and political beliefs of a certain group of people. Possible sanctions range from a fine of 30,000 Swiss francs to England being ordered to play a game behind closed doors.

"Would be deemed". By whom? The Telegraph?

Well said Roy.

No Surrender to the Al-Qaeda

At least that would be topical. Well said Roy Hodgson. Support your team and leave the politics (not that that is what this moronic shite is about) out of it.

Well said Roy.

At least that would be topical. Well said Roy Hodgson. Support your team and leave the politics (not that that is what this moronic shite is about) out of it.

So venting against terrorist scum that's murdered and blew your country up is moronic shite? What chance we got when the country is run by people like you

So venting against terrorist scum that's murdered and blew your country up is moronic shite? What chance we got when the country is run by people like you

When you are at a sporting event, supposedly supporting your team, yes it fucking is. Practically everybody in the country (I don't run it BTW) is against terrorist scum, but the vast majority of decent people would agree with me and Roy Hodgson on this.

When you are at a sporting event, supposedly supporting your team, yes it fucking is. Practically everybody in the country (I don't run it BTW) is against terrorist scum, but the vast majority of decent people would agree with me and Roy Hodgson on this.

No balls whatsoever

So why is it they feel the need to ask England fans to stop singing No Surrender?