WadeWilson

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im completely for Gay Rights etc, im a straight man who is comfortable with his sexuality, ive known many gay women and a few gay men, some of them were sound, some were pricks. I think they should have the same rights as anyone else does.

But I dont understand why every show has to have a gay character, or numerous gay characters, its unrealistic, I work in an office with about 400 people and I know 1 who is openly gay, but if you went by how TV shows make it out to be then there should be about 40 openly gay men in my office.

every show?

I am not gay, I have never been gay nor would I ever choose to be gay. And this to some is considered homophobic, case in point there was a bus advert in London that said pretty much what I said but added, some people are not gay DEAL WITH It! A Christian organisation put this advert out and they were resoundingly critised for it. Where does this whole thing stop? There is a political activists group that tries to raise awareness of gay rights ( a very laudable cause, I might add) but they had very close links to another group that was advocating that paedophile should be free from discrimination on the ground that barring them from doing so breaches their human rights... (I can't remember the name of the group but once I remember it I'll post it) we need to be careful that we are not opening Pandora box.

The christian advert was ridiculous. When did anyone get criticism for being straight? It's a faaaaar easier life being straight. You generally don't have to worry about the aggressive discrimination that some gay people have to suffer (other than occasionally positive discrimination, perhaps, which is nothing in comparison with what some gay people will have to deal with). As for the stuff about gays and pedophiles, still waiting for the link - although it's be pointless anyway. I don't doubt some lunatic gay individual or underground group out there may have argued such nonsense, just as some straight ones probably have. Holding this as an example of 'where does this whole thing stop' is fucking ridiculous. Do you wonder where this whole thing stops when straight people abuse children? After all, most that abuse children are straight. Pandora's box? Seriously? What are you expecting to come out of said box if gay people are allowed to be open about their sexuality? You come across as someone trying very hard to be offended by this.

case in point there was a bus advert in London that said pretty much what I said but added, some people are not gay DEAL WITH It! A Christian organisation put this advert out and they were resoundingly critised for it.

It's called freedom of expression.

Deal with it.

The christian advert was ridiculous. When did anyone get criticism for being straight? It's a faaaaar easier life being straight. You generally don't have to worry about the aggressive discrimination that some gay people have to suffer (other than occasionally positive discrimination, perhaps, which is nothing in comparison with what some gay people will have to deal with). As for the stuff about gays and pedophiles, still waiting for the link - although it's be pointless anyway. I don't doubt some lunatic gay individual or underground group out there may have argued such nonsense, just as some straight ones probably have. Holding this as an example of 'where does this whole thing stop' is fucking ridiculous. Do you wonder where this whole thing stops when straight people abuse children? After all, most that abuse children are straight. Pandora's box? Seriously? What are you expecting to come out of said box if gay people are allowed to be open about their sexuality? You come across as someone trying very hard to be offended by this.

very hard to enforce buggery these days, although the law still exists

Do you think of child abusers as 'straight'?

The mind boggles.

You come across as someone trying very hard to be offended by this.

well Im not offended about it in the slightest. in early 2000 the restrictions were lifted on homosexuals in the armed forces. I knew of several that were and still are reluctant to come out about it because they dont want to be portrayed as some poster boy for gays in the army. the same thing could happen in football, say for example a high profile player comes out and is lauded by all. then it becomes all about his historic stand for gay rights, and the football becomes a second thought, then because of all the pressure of being the first to come out his form drops, he doesn't get a call up to the national squad. the national team manager would get crucified in the press for not picking him... the football loses out, the player loses out and gay footballers lose out because of it.

do we really need to know who is and is not gay in football?

I couldnt care less if half our squad are batting for the pink team or not, just as long as when they pull on the jersey the give 100% on the pitch for the club and fans.

well Im not offended about it in the slightest. in early 2000 the restrictions were lifted on homosexuals in the armed forces. I knew of several that were and still are reluctant to come out about it because they dont want to be portrayed as some poster boy for gays in the army. the same thing could happen in football, say for example a high profile player comes out and is lauded by all. then it becomes all about his historic stand for gay rights, and the football becomes a second thought, then because of all the pressure of being the first to come out his form drops, he doesn't get a call up to the national squad. the national team manager would get crucified in the press for not picking him... the football loses out, the player loses out and gay footballers lose out because of it.

do we really need to know who is and is not gay in football?

I couldnt care less if half our squad are batting for the pink team or not, just as long as when they pull on the jersey the give 100% on the pitch for the club and fans.

No, but it's not about forcing people to come out. It's about creating an environment where they feel they can if they so choose. We don't need to know who is and is not gay. But they should be able to walk along the street (or whatever else) with their partner freely the way everyone else does, which would require them to be out. This is the aim of such campaigns.

But they should be able to walk along the street (or whatever else) with their partner freely the way everyone else does, which would require them to be out. This is the aim of such campaigns.

I support this 100%, but there has to be a cautious approach to it. the guys i know in the army are still serving, two of them are in the paras and have recently come back from Afghanistan, one is an RP and one guy was involved in the half time thing last year when the members of the armed forces were paraded into the stadium. in fact I have not heard of any openly gay soldiers, Im certain there are some but I haven't heard about it.

I support this 100%, but there has to be a cautious approach to it. the guys i know in the army are still serving, two of them are in the paras and have recently come back from Afghanistan, one is an RP and one guy was involved in the half time thing last year when the members of the armed forces were paraded into the stadium. in fact I have not heard of any openly gay soldiers, Im certain there are some but I haven't heard about it.

Again, this is why attitudes need to be changed. This kind of nonsense is archaic.