Wish We Had This Great Man Back Again.

minstral

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A man who always had the clubs best intentions at heart and who demanded certain standards (from what I've read). God knows what he'd make of the current running/boardroom struggles of the club. Actually, did someone not post an article recently about him and another guy battling for supremacy at the club? Or am I spraffing pish?

Absolutely. I'd have loved to watched Rangers at that time, not just stopping with Mr. Struth, but after that, I'd have liked to see the teams my dad grew up watching. I'd love to see Rangers years and years ago. I would have loved to see Jim Baxter play, even for one game.

Not me. Explain.

It's a bit complicated, one for you to research for yourself.

It might be googleable, but I read about it in a book (remember them) - '10 Days that shook Rangers' iirc.

It resulted in Jimmy Bowie, another candidate for the Greatest Ever Ranger leaving Ibrox and (allegedly) never returning. His record is googleable and man it is impressive.

From what I remember Bowie was Chairman and up for retiremen or re-election, and somebody, possibly Bowie hmself suggested that as Struth was in his 70s (again iirc) he might consider retiring at the same time. Struth organised a boardroom coup that led to Bowie being kicked out, and in the process, it is argued, allowed the 'money men' into the boardroom for the first time. Previously the Club had been run by ex players.

I'm not really sure of the ins and outs, rights and wrongs etc, but whenever I read about it it seems to me that Mr Struth's reputation is slightly tarnished. That could be unfair though. I am happy to be corrected.

How many of you are aware of the boardroom goings on in 1947?

Struth played a massive part in them.

Indeed that is true but unlike today partly because of the different culture and no 24hour mhedia internet but also partly because of the dignity of the men involved the boardroom split in those days was unknown outside of Ibrox even die hard bears would not of known unless they were personally involved. It's hard to compare 1947 with 2013 because it's a totaly different world and culture today but fair to say if Mr Struth was alive and working at Rangers today he would not be in the rheble or the sun slandering all and sundry and launching propaganda attacks like both sides in the current boardroom farce