Cuellar Thread

JR

RANGERS' bid to land Carlos Cuellar is almost certainly doomed after Osasuna refused to back down in the war over the player's transfer fee.

The Ibrox outfit had tabled a final offer of £1.7million on Thursday and set the La Liga outfit a 48-hour take-it-or-leave-it deadline - but the Spaniards are refusing to lower their demands. And in a new twist to the saga Atletico Bilbao will join the race to sign the 25-year-old defender - if the Basque outfit secure their La Liga status with a win at home to Levante tonight.

Osasuna value Cuellar (right) at £4m but sources in Spain claim the club would accept around £2.7m which still leaves Gers' final bid £1m short.

Manager Jose Angel Ziganda has demanded Cuellar isn't sold unless Rangers make an offer that is impossible to turn down.

And president of the Pamplona club Patxi Izco said: "The money in question is impossible to accept. It is possible to negotiate with Rangers but the first contact was negative. The player is contracted with us until June 2008.

"Rangers know the situation and if they are interested we can talk."

Osasuna boss Ziganda is desperate to hold on to Cuellar and said: "He's very important. I have spoken to the directors and demanded he is only sold if it's in the best interests of the club."

http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/sport/football...-name_page.html

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Atletico Bilbao stayed up, I wonder if they will now move for him. I dont see him becoming a Rangers player. We should now make a move for Cacapa- bosman!

tbh i never though CB was a priority. would it be worth waiting a season for cuellars contract to run out? IF this is his last year?

Also somehow Nacho novos name has been thrown in as part of a bargaining ship

tbh i never though CB was a priority. would it be worth waiting a season for cuellars contract to run out? IF this is his last year?

Also somehow Nacho novos name has been thrown in as part of a bargaining ship

Agree, but the point is,if we want people to take us seriously then we shouldn't keep offering money that is seriously ridiculous. Could be that SDM and Walter are going to surprise us all with some outstanding offers for players,but then again........... <cr>

Agree, but the point is,if we want people to take us seriously then we shouldn't keep offering money that is seriously ridiculous. Could be that SDM and Walter are going to surprise us all with some outstanding offers for players,but then again........... <cr>

well thats it, for all we know Walter could be offering a contract to cuellar as we speak...

Scottish club Rangers had a £1 million bid for the player rejected on the 12 June 2007. A bid of £2.7 million is more in Osasuna's price range and Rangers can then negotiate a contract for Cuellar. On the 15th of June 2007, Rangers issued Osasuna with a £1.7 million take-it-or-leave-it ultimatum which was rejected by Osasuna and seems to have scuppered the deal although there could be one last offer submitted for 25 year old Cuellar. Rangers' Nacho Novo is expected to be involved in a swap deal plus money for Cuellar