Poll on hardest players

Shuggy

Big Harold by a mile for me .remember him lifting Bertie Auld onto his feet by the beard at parkhead and wagging his finger in his face,while the Tim's were going mental.i spoke to Auld a few years ago about that incident and he said it was the scariest moment of his career as he thought the big man was about to smash him.

Butcher and Gough were both hard nuts. Literally. You would have had to decapitate them to get them off the pitch.

I always remember a Scotland game at Euro 92 where Gough (and another Scottish player) both had clashes of heads with Germans (Stefan Reuter and someone else). Both Germans were stretchered off and the Scots lads had their bloody heids bandaged up and went about their business for the rest of the game. :thumbup:

There is obviously a famous photo of Butcher in similar circumstances (not sure of the details, it being an England game).

Agree with alot of the above. I'm surprised Mark Hateley hasn't been mentioned. He was a brutal big fucker at centre forward. He looked scary as well, a bit Predatorish. His nickname was well earned.

Hateley and family...

HATELEY_MARK_jpg.jpgNECA+Predators+Wave+5+Predator+2+The+Lost+Tribe+Guardian+Snake+Stalker+Action+Figure+(3).JPG

No way can Graeme Souness be compared to Kevin bloody Muscat.

Souness was hard as well as occasionally brutal... And he was a world-class footballer who could orgainise his team-mates, win the ball, hold the ball, dictate the play, ping 40-yard passes and also create and score spectaclular goals.

Spot on. Souness was proof that you could be in both the hard and the dirty categories (as well as the brilliant category).

Agree with alot of the above. I'm surprised Mark Hateley hasn't been mentioned. He was a brutal big fucker at centre forward. He looked scary as well, a bit Predatorish. His nickname was well earned.

Good shout, mate. (tu)

He lost kudos for the still photograph of the poofy Jacqui 'The Mosquito' MacNamara 'punch' though (9-in-a-row season).

In the freeze frame it looked as though he actually felt it. :lol:

Big Harold by a mile for me .remember him lifting Bertie Auld onto his feet by the beard at parkhead and wagging his finger in his face,while the Tim's were going mental.i spoke to Auld a few years ago about that incident and he said it was the scariest moment of his career as he thought the big man was about to smash him.

Quite appropriate that Bertie Auld's name should crop up on a thread about dirty players.

Good shout, mate. (tu)

He lost kudos for the still photograph of the poofy Jacqui 'The Mosquito' MacNamara 'punch' though (9-in-a-row season).

In the freeze frame it looked as though he actually felt it. :lol:

Haha. Yeah. Apparently he aligned himself with Sandy Easdale pretty early too. Regardless of your opinions on the boardroom battles, a hardman should never get involved in such things. They should look their enemy in the eye.

Parker_1801301c.jpg

Agree with most of the names mentioned above.

I'd like to give a shout out to big Marvin Andrews too. Probably the nicest, fairest and most honest hardman you're ever likely to find. Of course he's not your old school hardman type who strikes fear into the opposition or your dirty shitebag bastard Muscat type, but if you're willing to put your body on the line like he did and do it all with the biggest smile you've ever seen then that makes them pretty hard to me. Don't think I've ever seen him lose a header and any time he got kicked, elbowed or whacked he'd bounce back up and go again all without flinching! Took so many hits in his career and how he's still playing even now despite his infamous injury problems is real hardman shit! Also, if you got hit (fairly/clumsily) by the big guy you'd certainly know all about it!!

The story goes that, when Souness went to Italy, all the so called hard men in Serie A put out contracts on him, needless to say he cancelled them all. Big Harold Davis, Bobby Shearer and John Greig were also my choices as hard men but not inclined to be dirty, except our Graham who could be. The thing was though, he was such a good all round talented player that his naughty side sometimes let him down. :7325:

Players who could dish it out and take some,

John Greig

Tam Forsyth

Ian Ferguson

John Brown

Graeme Souness

Terry Butcher

Graham Roberts

Richard Gough

Terry Hurlock

Davy Robertson

Duncan Ferguson

Stewart McCall

Ian Black :matron:

G

Gregor Stevens. Anyone old enough will remember the football sticker books from those days will remember Gregors Rangers days and that fearsome photo

he wasnt smiling... he was growling!

Agree with most of the names mentioned above.

I'd like to give a shout out to big Marvin Andrews too. Probably the nicest, fairest and most honest hardman you're ever likely to find. Of course he's not your old school hardman type who strikes fear into the opposition or your dirty shitebag bastard Muscat type, but if you're willing to put your body on the line like he did and do it all with the biggest smile you've ever seen then that makes them pretty hard to me. Don't think I've ever seen him lose a header and any time he got kicked, elbowed or whacked he'd bounce back up and go again all without flinching! Took so many hits in his career and how he's still playing even now despite his infamous injury problems is real hardman shit! Also, if you got hit (fairly/clumsily) by the big guy you'd certainly know all about it!!

Amen to that. (tu)

There, by the grace of God, goes big Marv... His miraculous knee still holds up to this day!