Fringe players to be moved on ?

bawsburst

I agree there should be a trimming of the squad. The next 18 months or so might be a very tough time for Ally and for Rangers. It will be a challenge and a half to trim the squad add to it where necessary and still win promotion next season ...... and with basis of a squad that would do a job in the top league. Notice I said 'do a job ' - which implies no more than just being competitive in the middle reaches of that league. The reason I say that is that if player cuts are needed - and they are - then the squad going into the top league might be below the level needed to compete. And by 'compete' I mean competing for a slot near the top of the league and european football. The ambition for the very top will, in my view, need very serious money and that is no more than wishful thinking at this time while so much time is spent looking at past events and talking about boycotts.

Of course offers for better players might come in. The very fact of talking of 'no fire sale' might indicate to some clubs that the very opposite might be true so bargain hunters might appear and who knows what price Lee Wallace might be sold for in January if an offer arrived.

Whislt trimming the squad does look like the right thing to be doing, I suppose that trimming costs elsewhere in Ibrox will also be on the agenda (maybe the staff cuts largely avoided by Green and Mather) may need to happen too. But perhaps most of all the counter-balance of the Board starting to map out how it can generate more cash for Rangers so that the ambition to get back to the very top - winning the top league and CL football.

And in the next 18 months we will need to have won promotion from the Championship with that trimmed squad and probably with no access to new big funds. A challenge and a half perhaps.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting new clubs for all our deadwood will be tough, most are living the dream playing little or no football and being rewarded handsomely, who else will pay that sort of money when their football ability suggests much lower wages? we get caught in the pay off trap a bit too often = drained finances.

Dundee United seem to have a conveyor belt of young talent that can hold down a first team place at a very young age, in all honesty Lewis Macleod looks the only one for the foreseeable that can do the same for us, maybe the DU youth coach/talent spotter should be high on our list of targets once the decks are cleared a bit.

Getting new clubs for all our deadwood will be tough, most are living the dream playing little or no football and being rewarded handsomely, who else will pay that sort of money when their football ability suggests much lower wages? we get caught in the pay off trap a bit too often = drained finances.

Dundee United seem to have a conveyor belt of young talent that can hold down a first team place at a very young age, in all honesty Lewis Macleod looks the only one for the foreseeable that can do the same for us, maybe the DU youth coach/talent spotter should be high on our list of targets once the decks are cleared a bit.

See tbh I think McLeod is really ordinary a lot of the time - agree with the rest of your comment tho - getting rid of the surplus is easier said than done

I'm delighted we have a CEO that will make the decisions that need to be made! I hope one of his top priorities is addressing the wages out coaching staff are being paid! As others are alluding to getting a club for some of our players will be very difficult and will almost certainly include payoffs/incentives for them to move on! I would happily go with a first team squad of 15 and promote the youngsters and bleed them as early as possible!

Finally, a guy in charge addressing this issue of overspending on wages, which has been the elephant in the room for over a year. Well done Graham Wallace, it finally looks look we have a guy in charge with the interest and experience in running a football club!

How are we going to move these players on without making a financial loss? I have no idea. No club will pay 700k for Templeton.

Foster is contracted to 2015 and it is unlikely that any club in England would sign him after his time at Bristol City, whilst Kyle Hutton has a broken leg. Cribari is too old and too pish.

A positive and encouraging step for the club in my opinion.

Finally, a guy in charge addressing this issue of overspending on wages, which has been the elephant in the room for over a year. Well done Graham Wallace, it finally looks look we have a guy in charge with the interest and experience in running a football club!

How are we going to move these players on without making a financial loss? I have no idea. No club will pay 700k for Templeton.

Foster is contracted to 2015 and it is unlikely that any club in England would sign him after his time at Bristol City, whilst Kyle Hutton has a broken leg. Cribari is too old and too pish.

A positive and encouraging step for the club in my opinion.

Foster and Smith are pish as well.

This has been a long tone coming to be honest.

We have a 36 man first team squad, a scandelous number consider the financial position we were/are in & ignoring the league we are in.

I had hoped for a majority squad built around a youth policy but with a spine of experience ie GK, CH, CM & CH.

I would say that Wallace's comments do lead me to believe that Lee Wallace will be included in these sales as he, amongst maybe 2or 3, is our only salable asset & we have an instant & cheaper replacement in Stevie Smith.

I can see a list of

Perry

Cribari

Heggarty

Hutton

McAusland (because Ally prefers Forster .. to my annoyance)

Mitchell (see McAusland)

Shiels

McKay

Crawford

There will always be debate over which of our youth players should be launched into the first team & I see this as a real test of Ally: The Manager.

He is now being forced to trim his burgeoning squad, he will have to make better use of the players at his disposal, thinking more tactically rather than just throwning players at a game.

Players definitely have to be moved on and the dead wood cut away. My only fear is we cut too deep and too quick in January with a lot of games coming up and still the Scottish Cup to come. We still require a good bench IMO for this.

Templeton has to go.

So overrated it is untrue.

I'd also release Smith, Simmonsen, Cribari, Perry and Sheils

I've never understood our signing of Simmonsen, he's always on our train back after the game, think he heads towards Merseyside or Southport and I wonder why a. He bothers and b. why we bothered in the first place. Bang a recall clause on Scott Gallaghers loan deal and stick a young keeper on the bench.

I agree with most of the players listed above being moved on and I'm glad it's being done.