Rangers fans & Irish Tri-Colours

TheBluenose1972

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another thread on something that has not happened and will not happen. Worse than the Govou patter ffs!

Where do you spout this conclusion from? Its not actually a big deal bringing a flag for one of our players (our top goalscorer). If eg Ally had been Irish would you have had a problem?

Where do you spout this conclusion from? Its not actually a big deal bringing a flag for one of our players (our top goalscorer). If eg Ally had been Irish would you have had a problem?

As you know Jamie i enjoy a good Jon Daly/tricolour gif as much as anybody but and this is just from reading the first page of this thread the op seems to br claiming bears have or will be flying Irish flags and taking part in some kind of pro republican shit which obviously has not and will not happen. If Daly wants to drape himself in his flag at the title presentation i respect his choice but it would not be the wisest choice tbh and i say that as somebody who despairs at some of the attempts to lable us all anti Irish and anti Daly.

You have no idea what the four lads thought about religion, you are going on what you have read in books.

I've spoken to Church elders in Garelochhead, the former village minister and to a spokesman for the CoS about our founders and likely Church attendance - all four would have been church regulars.

Garelochhead, at that time, only hosted a Protestant church. Not too much later, such was the demand in the village that, despite it's small population, it required a second church to accommodate the congregation.

Quite why anyone would seek to alter the simple facts of our great club's history and involvement with Protestantism is beyond me. It's clear that much has changed - but revising the history is a nonsense.

I've spoken to Church elders in Garelochhead, the former village minister and to a spokesman for the CoS about our founders and likely Church attendance - all four would have been church regulars.

Garelochhead, at that time, only hosted a Protestant church. Not too much later, such was the demand in the village that, despite it's small population, it required a second church to accommodate the congregation.

Quite why anyone would seek to alter the simple facts of our great club's history and involvement with Protestantism is beyond me. It's clear that much has changed - but revising the history is a nonsense.

Moses thank for the info. (tu)

The church would have baptismal roles and kirk memberships to quantify that. Attending church would not necessarily mean they started a protestant football team ( which we know they didnt from the players we had) Also at that time most people went to church. That doesnt mean that the founders of all the teams at that time brought a religious element.

The church would have baptismal roles and kirk memberships to quantify that. Attending church would not necessarily mean they started a protestant football team ( which we know they didnt from the players we had) Also at that time most people went to church. That doesnt mean that the founders of all the teams at that time brought a religious element.

At one time our club our club would not play on the Sabbath because of religion.

They were teenagers and would have gone to church as it was expected of them at that time. Neither you I or 'church elders' can have any idea of their motives for forming Rangers other than what is recorded. You would think that they would have made overt references to these alleged motives but there appears to be no written record and it doesn't appear to form a major part of their story.

The point seems to be missed though. The fact is that there is only one Glasgow club founded with a specifically religious and sectarian motive.

Rangers were an inclusive club at its outset and this is what should be highlighted. It appears some have lost the real point that should be focused on. Lets celebrate and promote those of all creeds that have represented this great club.

Celebrate our inclusiveness remind people of the truth about Rangers.

Why is it necessary to try, with no real evidence, to foist some association on to the remarkable story of the clubs formation? The strength of the Protestant connection is a later part of the clubs history and no less valid for that. No one denies the connection but the cornerstone of the formation Rangers is football and not religion.

Yes with a flute band playing at half time.

And that's the reason we get crowds of 40k + in the lower tiers! We are and always will be a Protestant Club. Only the deluded or the very ignorant would argue otherwise ! And this agenda against us has only galvanised us for further hostilities from those who attempted our demise ! The words 'No Surrender' have never been more appropriate !

Sorry Calvin I do believe in God, I am a church attender and yes UKIP Rangers were not founded on protestant only unlike the "charity" cases (HIV's and Septics) who denounced all forms of protestants as to be damned in hell, starved their own flock by not allowing them to eat from protestant soup kitchens and now want to forget whilst highlighting everyone elses sins and finally most importantly Rangers was and is the symbol club for protestants

I should also add that a study is be done this year on the irishness in Victorian Glasgow according to the Irish Post and significantly it acknowledges quote " the sectarian" element of irish nationalism that Sotland allowed to flourish

Sorry Calvin I do believe in God, I am a church attender and yes UKIP Rangers were not founded on protestant only unlike the "charity" cases (HIV's and Septics) who denounced all forms of protestants as to be damned in hell, starved their own flock by not allowing them to eat from protestant soup kitchens and now want to forget whilst highlighting everyone elses sins and finally most importantly Rangers was and is the symbol club for protestants

I should also add that a study is be done this year on the irishness in Victorian Glasgow according to the Irish Post and significantly it acknowledges quote " the sectarian" element of irish nationalism that Sotland allowed to flourish

Sounds like a good article

I would love to agree but it was only a little paragraph I believe it is Cambridge University that is doing the study and I am hoping that it will be free of prejudice either way and will highlight as it states the good and bad and how extreme nationalism developed in Glasgow. I sincerely hope it considers all angles

I would love to agree but it was only a little paragraph I believe it is Cambridge University that is doing the study and I am hoping that it will be free of prejudice either way and will highlight as it states the good and bad and how extreme nationalism developed in Glasgow. I sincerely hope it considers all angles

It should be a interesting read.

The studies always come out in their favour and we are made to look the baddies! That's because the punters that do the studies are usually 1st or 2nd generation munchers. Aye while we've been bangin big drums these people have been plotting and scheming !