McCoist told to cut the Football wage bill

Boab

No need for the abuse mate, he is actually spot on. I have read both articles and nowhere in them does it actually confirm that we have to make cuts on the playing side.

It's the BBC who have written this article. The same BBC who get fed inside information from some of the current board..i.e the Easdales. The same BBC who recently always seem to be on the ball regarding the affairs of our club

They have quoted a spokesperson for the board in itallics. Now i agree that it doesn't quote an exact figure but since Rangers haven't issued a statement denying ever speaking to the BBC what does that tell you?

It tells me that information has been passed to the BBC but the spokesperson doesn't want exact figures quoted.

Others will say the BBC have added their own piece of fluff and that could be the case but given their recent history of "exclusives" i am willing to bet it's not far off the mark.

A spokesman for the Rangers board told BBC Scotland: "The CEO Graham Wallace outlined his strategy at the AGM and nothing is going to deflect him from getting Rangers back on an even keel.

"Graham and Ally are reviewing the football budget, as part of the overall business review and it would be inappropriate at this time to discuss any figures."

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The fans won't accept a fucking draw why on earth do people think we could have built a team from youngsters? Yes in all probability they would have won the league, but that wouldn't be acceptable to many.

Had that been the case then surely it would have been 3rd division ST prices?

spot on.

It's the BBC who have written this article. The same BBC who get fed inside information from some of the current board..i.e the Easdales. The same BBC who recently always seem to be on the ball regarding the affairs of our club

They have quoted a spokesperson for the board in itallics. Now i agree that it doesn't quote an exact figure but since Rangers haven't issued a statement denying ever speaking to the BBC what does that tell you?

It tells me that information has been passed to the BBC but the spokesperson doesn't want exact figures quoted.

Others will say the BBC have added their own piece of fluff and that could be the case but given their recent history of "exclusives" i am willing to bet it's not far off the mark.

A spokesman for the Rangers board told BBC Scotland: "The CEO Graham Wallace outlined his strategy at the AGM and nothing is going to deflect him from getting Rangers back on an even keel.

"Graham and Ally are reviewing the football budget, as part of the overall business review and it would be inappropriate at this time to discuss any figures."

ok again, where does it say he has to cut the football bill?

A review of the football budget is not the same as "Ally will HAVE to cut costs on the footballing side.

I know what you are getting at, but all bp9 was saying is the same as others ITT have said, that the article doesnt actually say we have to cut the footballing bill.

(tu)

Some need to wake up.

The fans won't accept a fucking draw why on earth do people think we could have built a team from youngsters? Yes in all probability they would have won the league, but that wouldn't be acceptable to many.

Had that been the case then surely it would have been 3rd division ST prices?

Well the fans are just as big a problem as McCoist and the previous board in my opinion.

Far too many have been spoiled by the Souness and Murray and Smith era.

Just about every Rangers fan i know and spoke to prior to us starting in division 3 accepted that we would be starting with youths. The overwhelming majority said they knew it wasn't going to be pretty but if they could see that a corner had been turned they would support it. For how long is open to debate i agree.

I do think that if he had persevered with the likes of Crawford, McKay, Aird, McLeod, Gasparotto, McAusland along with McCulloch , Wallace and a few others we would have been fine.

What it would also have done is shown who really has the talent to play for us at a higher level.

I was willing to give it a year minimum to see a team gelling and growing together. If it was obvious that some of the kids were plainly not good enough and there was no one to replace them then we were in trouble. But we always had the finances to counter that.

Instead we have spunked millions on overpaid and under achieving journeymen.

We didn't have the luxury of spending time getting a team together on decent wages.

We cobbled a team together at short notice, and tried to put some quality in it.

Gretna spent about 2-3 years i the bottom league before making their move. Our fanbase would not have stood for 3 years in the bottom league building a team that can go up the leagues on a shoestring budget.

Our wage bill is significantly lower than it has been under every other recent Rangers manager.

There is no way we would have spent two or three years in the bottom leagues.

Livingston got back to back promotions immediately after relegation to SD3 and I bet they also had to cobble a team together on a shoestring budget too.

A 19 year old Stevie May basically won the third divison for Alloa on his own two seasons ago and the same squad without him got another promotion the following season.

We didn't need to add SPL level quality to get out of SD3 or SD2. Our youths with two or three experienced heads around them would have done it and had McCoist got the fans on side (and considering he's the universal voice that most fans listen to that's something I think he could have done) by telling the fans there was a bigger picture then maybe expectations wouldn't have been raised the same way that they were when he signed some of the "best of the rest" SPL players and talked about wanting to win a cup that season.

I truly think we've done this at a far greater expense than was required.

You are probably right on that. I just don't feel it is ass bad as has been made out by some.

Like I said, our wage bill is significantly lower than any other Rangers manager has had to deal with.

Ally has spent significantly less on transfers than any other recent Rangers manager.

And he has still managed to put together a decent side.

The point Al makes is a great one. IF we had went the route of bringing in tried and tested lower league players to get us through these divisions, the season book price would have to be lowered to third division prices.

We have made some mistakes and Ally isnt perfect ( far from it) But look where we are now compared to where we were last season.

we have roughly the same sized wage bill as last season, but a vastly better team.

There is no way we would have spent two or three years in the bottom leagues.

Livingston got back to back promotions immediately after relegation to SD3 and I bet they also had to cobble a team together on a shoestring budget too.

A 19 year old Stevie May basically won the third divison for Alloa on his own two seasons ago and the same squad without him got another promotion the following season.

We didn't need to add SPL level quality to get out of SD3 or SD2. Our youths with two or three experienced heads around them would have done it and had McCoist got the fans on side (and considering he's the universal voice that most fans listen to that's something I think he could have done) by telling the fans there was a bigger picture then maybe expectations wouldn't have been raised the same way that they were when he signed some of the "best of the rest" SPL players and talked about wanting to win a cup that season.

(tu)

I think Ally has done well in extremely trying circumstances and their is little I would critisise him for - his reign ain't been perfect but folk underestimate what it takes to rebuild a team so I back him 100%

However past board members seemed to have sucked us dry - surprised BS is still here but the current board have shit to sort out and it's the past board that I blame not Ally

The same board that allowed ally to spend a kings ransom to win nothing but a couple of part time/amateur leagues

Give ally the same budget as the rest of the 3rd division and i doubt he'd have came close to winningthe tthing

Well the fans are just as big a problem as McCoist and the previous board in my opinion.

You're probably right, but that doesn't change the reality of it. Now I know the football is nowhere near the standard we require, or indeed the standard it should be for the wages being paid, but can you imagine what we would be watching had we not brought in some of the guys this season?

I dread to think how long it would have taken the fans to drift away, then all we would hear is why are we watching this pish? Why do we have a turnover to wage ration of 20%?

Now I'm not saying the fans wouldn't pay their ST money, I'm just querying how many would actually turn up.

A lot of the fans complaints re performance and style of play is exactly because we have invested so much in the playing squad. Maybe not in comparison with other Rangers managers but certainly far in excess of our opponents and still more than anyone else in Scotland bar Celtic.

Had there been a more pragmatic approach, then I think it is far more likely the support from the stands would also be a lot more patient.

It just seems to me that short-term thinking is rife throughout our club, and I really do fear what that means for our long-term prospects!

A lot of the fans complaints re performance and style of play is exactly because we have invested so much in the playing squad. Maybe not in comparison with other Rangers managers but certainly far in excess of our opponents and still more than anyone else in Scotland bar Celtic.

Had there been a more pragmatic approach, then I think it is far more likely the support from the stands would also be a lot more patient.

It just seems to me that short-term thinking is rife throughout our club, and I really do fear what that means for our long-term prospects!

That's exactly my point.

You pay out stupid wages to over rated players and expect sterling performances. Money doesn't make a football player play any better.

If the expectation levels were realistic then the majority of fans would have stayed (as they have done watching this seasons rubbish)

And if fans want to hurl abuse at youngsters after 2 or 3 games they can fuck off and watch a level of football their intellect can handle..PS4 or X-box

The same board that allowed ally to spend a kings ransom to win nothing but a couple of part time/amateur leagues

Give ally the same budget as the rest of the 3rd division and i doubt he'd have came close to winningthe tthing

We will never know and there is no point is guessing - but Ally is driving us forward - I see that you don't - so we disagree - but we are moving forward and building for the future!

Although there is a culture of short term fixes at Rangers, has been for years. Short term fixes, long term poison.

It's all very well having these abstract self flagellation sessions on message boards but I think your average bear that goes to games cares little about anything else other than getting back to the top as quickly and painlessly as possible.

Am i the only one to read the story in the OP and not find a single quote stating that footballing costs must be cut

No a few of us spotted that - but some folk just want to keep promoting their Ally oot agenda - same posters as the multiple other Anti Ally threads

Although there is a culture of short term fixes at Rangers, has been for years. Short term fixes, long term poison.

It's all very well having these abstract self flagellation sessions on message boards but your average bear that goes to games cares little about anything else other than getting back to the top as quickly and painlessly as possible.

You know what the 'average bear' cares about?

That's some gift....

we have roughly the same sized wage bill as last season, but a vastly better team.

thats debatable when you consider a lot of last seasons wage bill was made up with goian and bocanegra's wages, plus we had a couple of months of the likes of edu, broadfoot etc on the wage bill

the team on the park may be better this season but last seasons wages were bloated with guys who werent in the team (tu)

I would actually prefer Wallace stayed and took over the captaincy with immediate effect.

I would punt McCulloch the first chance I got unless he took a serious pay cut to £1k month, and as part of the agreement extend his contract past the summer.

If you haven't played 50% of games this season you would also be transfer listed.

don't disagree with you. Wallace would be a good captain. Cheaper and better than jig. I just think if he has to be sold then so be it. We'll still get back to the top without him.