McCoist told to cut the Football wage bill

Boab

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25736543

By Alasdair Lamont Senior football reporter, BBC Scotland

Rangers manager Ally McCoist has been told he will have to make cuts to his playing budget.

McCoist has been in discussions with Graham Wallace recently as the chief executive undertakes a comprehensive review of the Ibrox finances.

Wallace told shareholders at the annual general meeting in December savings would need to be made.

And the players' wage bill at the League One side currently stands between £6m and £7m per annum.

A spokesman for the Rangers board told BBC Scotland: "The CEO Graham Wallace outlined his strategy at the AGM and nothing is going to deflect him from getting Rangers back on an even keel.

"Graham and Ally are reviewing the football budget, as part of the overall business review and it would be inappropriate at this time to discuss any figures."

The news comes on the day that three million shares worth around £750,000 were traded in Rangers International Football Club plc.

The share price dropped as low as 24p early in the day before rallying slightly to close at 28.5p.

That is a fall from the 90p price at the launch of the share issue just over a year ago.

Earlier this week, McCoist signed off on a pay cut of around 50%, which he agreed to in October.

And consultant Philip Nash has been brought to Ibrox to help oversee the financial overhaul.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good stuff

However I'm a great believer in prevention better than cure. Signings like Foster and Smith should have never been sanctioned, we should have never gave Goian and Boca over 1 million to leave and should have never handed long term contracts to some of the dross we have like Perry, Naismith and Hegarty - that's not with the benefit of hindsight either

Onwards and upwards though - time for change and more financial discipline. Wallace will do the job

A £7m wage budget is probably pretty high for the divison we are in but it is only around 37% of turnover which is more than sustainable.

Your right but I hope we are thinking long term and making as much cuts as possible now in order to have as much as possible for our assault on the top flight title when we return

Based on wage/turnover ratio it isn't high at all. Costs elsewhere that are the issue.

That isn't to say we wouldn't walk the league with. wage bill of say £1.5m.

What sort of costs are you referring to?

A 200k bonus that Stockbridge paid back perhaps? What about a 250k investigation into Green that one side of the fence insisted on and proved a waste of time and money? Or what about the investments and purchases that will make us money in future like Ed House, the car park, brining the security and catering in house etc

It's not all doom and gloom

Costs have to be cut across the board because it's the right thing to do going forward and for the future rather than anything else

Based on wage/turnover ratio it isn't high at all. Costs elsewhere that are the issue.

That isn't to say we wouldn't walk the league with. wage bill of say £1.5m.

I have to agree. In fact, correct me if I'm wrong, but is non-playing staff salaries not accumulating to somewhere in the region of £10m? That should be the first port of call at the moment.

However, I do agree that some players need to be moved on also such as Perry and co. who are never fit. I also include Templeton in that bracket.

I agree we get rid of all the deadwood.

However, Shiels and Templeton should definitely stay. 2 players who will be vital for us next season, trust me.

If played regular and in right positions and formations then I agree but that's me thinking ideally

What sort of costs are you referring to?

A 200k bonus that Stockbridge paid back perhaps? What about a 250k investigation into Green that one side of the fence insisted on and proved a waste of time and money? Or what about the investments and purchases that will make us money in future like Ed House, the car park, brining the security and catering in house etc

It's not all doom and gloom

Costs have to be cut across the board because it's the right thing to do going forward and for the future rather than anything else

No none of that. Although EH is sitting empty and will be for the forseeable future.

I'd probably start with Jack Irvine & MediaHouse. We have 3 PR companies. Non-first team wages is around the £10m mark, is that all necessary?

It is going to be a balancing act across the board as you say. I do trust Wallace & Nash to get it right however.

I have to agree. In fact, correct me if I'm wrong, but is non-playing staff salaries not accumulating to somewhere in the region of £10m? That should be the first port of call at the moment.

However, I do agree that some players need to be moved on also such as Perry and co. who are never fit. I also include Templeton in that bracket.

It's a balancing act across the whole club. As I say the wage ratio is acceptable but yet again do we need players such as Cribari, Shiels, Foster as an example?