The "politics" of football

D'Artagnan

I had the pleasure to read a tremendous article recently on the Do The Bouncy forums, by Locutus :-

http://dothebouncy.com/main/threads/sharks-trolls-headstones-and-apathy.59319/

I love articles you can tell come from the heart, oozing in sheer passion for our club.

One particular phrase though set me thinking “Politics should have no place in football , but thats a debate for another day.” Perhaps with events elsewhere – that day has come.

Of course in a nirvana state - Politics should have no place in football, neither for that matter should Racism, Sectarianism nor Illegal betting. Unfortunately we do not live in such a sporting utopia and from time to time we have to cope with things invading our game which are neither welcome, nor enhancing for the reputation of our so called “Beautiful game”. In fact, if we are totally honest, at times it is downright ugly rather than beautiful.

But if Politics has no place in football – what about Political influence ? For the Rangers support these last 3 years or so have been a real wake up call. As our club lurched from crisis to crisis and was subjected to a catalogue of unjust treatment, the silence from politicians in Scotland was deafening. Compare and contrast such silence with the political response to an illegal procession organised by ǝpɐbıɹq uǝǝɹb ǝɥʇ.

http://news.stv.tv/west-central/218177-celtics-green-brigade-protest-results-in-msps-policing-question/

That's not to say of course that Scottish Labour MP's were silent over the crisis at Rangers, some in fact were only too happy to have something to say.

http://www.parliament.uk/edm/2012-13/913

Some of you will remember Jim McGovern, Labour MP for Dundee West from some of my previous articles. He has been particularly vocal of late.

http://www.<No links to this website>/news/politics/westminster-mps-table-motion-condemning-2867719

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/local/dundee/dundee-mp-calls-for-probe-into-champions-league-trouble-in-amsterdam-1.158942

The Courier article in particular saw some particularly critical online comments directed towards Mr McGovern – particulary as he was not so much vocal but noticeably silent after Celtic supporters misbehaved in his constituency of Dundee. Scenes described by Dundee Operations Manager Jim Thomson as “a throwback to the 1970's” and “I have never seen anything like the behaviour of the Celtic fans in the 20 years I have been running games at Dens Park” warranted not a murmur from Mr McGovern.

Not surprising then with conduct such as this that Mr McGovern requires annual staffing fees of £ 115, 581.17 ( as opposed to his Party leader, and Leader of the Opposition - Ed Miliband's £ 93, 747.42 ) perhaps his staff are particularly busy answering constituent's questions about his apparent double standards.

With Baron Reid of Cardowan a recent chairman, as well as Brian Wilson currently serving on the board of Celtic FC, it would be foolhardy to suggest our footballing rivals are suffering from a lack of political influence, particularly within the Scottish Labour Party.

Though such influence appears not to be confined to the bigger stage but also on a more localised level and has been highlighted previously

http://www.vanguardbears.co.uk/same-city-council-same-old-story.html

With the Co-op Bank, with their historical links to the Labour Party, now subject to both scrutiny and investigation, it begs the question if the favourable loan rates afforded to Celtic FC were as a consequence of Celtic's rather cosy relationship with the Scottish Labour Party ?

And as preliminary enquiries into land deals run their course in Brussels and Tory researchers work long into the night scouring over Co-op loan arrangements, I have a question for the Rangers support.

Is it time we sacrificed “politics has no place in football” - for the love of our club ?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

D'Art you've captured in a few paragraphs what has been something that's been bothering me for a while.

Speaking as a resident of the west of Scotland it has long been apparent to me that those in positions of influence in the Scottish Labour Party - at least in Glasgow and west central Scotland - were predominately "Celtic minded". A friend of mine who has been involved in consultancy work with Glasgow City Council and other prominent Scottish Local Authorities assures me that the middle to senior management very much leans toward the green as well.

I've often thought about the thousands of Rangers fans who vote Labour without a second thought, there's still parts of Glasgow and the West where the old adage of "put a red rosette on a monkey and it would get in" still applies.

As a fan base we are a broad church but there's a significant amount of us that claim to have a similar philosophy; supporting the Union, supporting a fair and equitable society without those from minorities practising nepotism, supporting an establishment that recognises who the silent majority actually are.

Are we getting that from our current elected representatives?

If we were recognised as a voting block in the way we used to be - the Scottish working class Tories up to the late 70's - we'd be a huge power in this land.

D'Art you've captured in a few paragraphs what has been something that's been bothering me for a while.

Speaking as a resident of the west of Scotland it has long been apparent to me that those in positions of influence in the Scottish Labour Party - at least in Glasgow and west central Scotland - were predominately "Celtic minded". A friend of mine who has been involved in consultancy work with Glasgow City Council and other prominent Scottish Local Authorities assures me that the middle to senior management very much leans toward the green as well.

I've often thought about the thousands of Rangers fans who vote Labour without a second thought, there's still parts of Glasgow and the West where the old adage of "put a red rosette on a monkey and it would get in" still applies.

As a fan base we are a broad church but there's a significant amount of us that claim to have a similar philosophy; supporting the Union, supporting a fair and equitable society without those from minorities practising nepotism, supporting an establishment that recognises who the silent majority actually are.

Are we getting that from our current elected representatives?

If we were recognised as a voting block in the way we used to be - the Scottish working class Tories up to the late 70's - we'd be a huge power in this land.

Beast

After all that has transpired I cannot for the life of me understand why any Bear would vote for Labour - but then again perhaps some separate their politics from their football club. Im sure Im not alone when I say - I cant.

DTB D'art would have Rangers reduced to about 500 a week supporters with all their bleeding liberalism They love rainbow laces, drugs, Michael Jackson but do not think that staunch protestants or politics or sectarianism although when ye point out that their forum is named after the song If ye canny dtb your a tim they decide it mean something else. According to them the smallest forum on the web there is no religious or political motivation at the old firm statistics and facts do not support their view We are as big because we are more than a club big enough for all but not excluding the mainstream in the way in which they do

D'art I do agree that the labour party has become more and more for catholic septics but people can either use their vote elsewhere or petition for change

Football has always been an arena for more than the actual game and incorporates religious, social status and political views (not too dissimilar to the Roman arenas of old)

Hard to believe these days that there was once a Prime Minister of the United Kingdom whose constituency was Glasgow Central:

Andrew Bonar Law ( CONSERVATIVE)

Modern politically brainwashed youngsters probably would not believe that, but it is the legacy of the media in Scotland that has created this, but the political takeover, especially in the Glasgow area, and the media continual drip-drip of their leftist agenda, with celtic-minded political agitators against the Poll Tax that wiped out a true opposition to labour.

D'art, I've C&Pd a few of your OPs in the past to spread to my fellow bears but I'm not sure of this one. It probably won't get the 30+ reps you usually get from an OP but obviously that's not the aim of your thread which is fine.

In the first few lines you highlighted an article which you described as "tremendous". Numerous grammatical mistakes aside (some of which made the article unreadable for me (normally I wouldn't mention but i genuinely struggled at times)), I just don't get the sense of ill will against our own brethren waiting to "step in and buy the club at a knock down price". The wealthy Rangers fans did not become wealthy by throwing money at business deals to the benefit of their opposing number on the opposite end of the table. If King or any of the other wealthy Rangers men did throw money around to buy a majority share in the club then I would seriously question their credentials as businessmen.

Anyway, sorry D'art, it's too late and I've only really adressed you first line and first link. OT for me.

Where I live, the politics is, on the main, between SNP, & Labour. Both parties ranks are swollen with good church going, Rangers supporting Protestants. I could NEVER vote for SNP, so I choose Labour, in an area where there are 100 COS affiliated churches, for every 1 RC chapel. Are the Western Isles an anomaly? ( The staunchly Protestant Lewis, Harris, & North Uist) Are we different to the rest of Scotland? I believe yes. Though I do not attend church, I am told that most services, in the many churches, are fairly packed out, that includes, the morning service, the evening service, & in Stornoway, the Gallic service.

D'art, I've C&Pd a few of your OPs in the past to spread to my fellow bears but I'm not sure of this one. It probably won't get the 30+ reps you usually get from an OP but obviously that's not the aim of your thread which is fine.

In the first few lines you highlighted an article which you described as "tremendous". Numerous grammatical mistakes aside (some of which made the article unreadable for me (normally I wouldn't mention but i genuinely struggled at times)), I just don't get the sense of ill will against our own brethren waiting to "step in and buy the club at a knock down price". The wealthy Rangers fans did not become wealthy by throwing money at business deals to the benefit of their opposing number on the opposite end of the table. If King or any of the other wealthy Rangers men did throw money around to buy a majority share in the club then I would seriously question their credentials as businessmen.

Anyway, sorry D'art, it's too late and I've only really adressed you first line and first link. OT for me.

Each to their own Jamie. I dont agree with everything in Locutus' article - nor does everyone on the DTB site for that matter. But I admire his absolute sense of passion and love for our club - not only his hunger but also his understanding that we as a support deserve better. Most of the time in fellow Bears I look for what unites us rather than what divides us. I used his article as a link not only because I enjoyed it - but because of his perspective on the politics - which I feel really needs to change.

Hard to believe these days that there was once a Prime Minister of the United Kingdom whose constituency was Glasgow Central:

Andrew Bonar Law ( CONSERVATIVE)

Modern politically brainwashed youngsters probably would not believe that, but it is the legacy of the media in Scotland that has created this, but the political takeover, especially in the Glasgow area, and the media continual drip-drip of their leftist agenda, with celtic-minded political agitators against the Poll Tax that wiped out a true opposition to labour.

Ask the question HS - when was the last time there was a Protestant Lord Provost in Glasgow ? The answer will astonish you.

DTB D'art would have Rangers reduced to about 500 a week supporters with all their bleeding liberalism They love rainbow laces, drugs, Michael Jackson but do not think that staunch protestants or politics or sectarianism although when ye point out that their forum is named after the song If ye canny dtb your a tim they decide it mean something else. According to them the smallest forum on the web there is no religious or political motivation at the old firm statistics and facts do not support their view We are as big because we are more than a club big enough for all but not excluding the mainstream in the way in which they do

There are one or two trying to buck that trend on DTB to be fair.

Where I live, the politics is, on the main, between SNP, & Labour. Both parties ranks are swollen with good church going, Rangers supporting Protestants. I could NEVER vote for SNP, so I choose Labour, in an area where there are 100 COS affiliated churches, for every 1 RC chapel. Are the Western Isles an anomaly? ( The staunchly Protestant Lewis, Harris, & North Uist) Are we different to the rest of Scotland? I believe yes. Though I do not attend church, I am told that most services, in the many churches, are fairly packed out, that includes, the morning service, the evening service, & in Stornoway, the Gallic service.

The only time I step into a church is for a wedding or the other function, have been known to belt out a few hymns down Ibrox way with simply the best being a particular fave...

Glasgow protestants have let these people gain control of the council and the Parlimentary seats, but lets not tar all the Labour party with the same brush, there are Rangers supporting MPs and they need our support to stay in office.

The only time I step into a church is for a wedding or the other function, have been known to belt out a few hymns down Ibrox way with simply the best being a particular fave...

Glasgow protestants have let these people gain control of the council and the Parlimentary seats, but lets not tar all the Labour party with the same brush, there are Rangers supporting MPs and they need our support to stay in office.

What in the Labour Party ? If so where were they when we were on our knees?

What in the Labour Party ? If so where were they when we were on our knees?

I vote for one every four or five years, Brian Donohoe is the secretary of the Parlimentary Rangers Supporters Club. What did he do, he certainly didn't try to illegally fund us with State Aid like other teams.

I vote for one every four or five years, Brian Donohoe is the secretary of the Parlimentary Rangers Supporters Club. What did he do, he certainly didn't try to illegally fund us with State Aid like other teams.

Thats what he didn't do but I'm asking where was his vocal support when we were on our knees and getting slaughtered by everyone?

Jim McGovern is not a Glasgow based, even West Coast MP allgers

Beast

After all that has transpired I cannot for the life of me understand why any Bear would vote for Labour - but then again perhaps some separate their politics from their football club. Im sure Im not alone when I say - I cant.

Maybe Labour voting Rangers fan look at in the bigger picture and do not vote because of which football team they support. I have voted Labour on several occasions because of their social stance and the help that they have provided me with my education and in raising a young family. They have helped with Student grants and with the creation of working tax credits which has gone a long way to helping my kids. Something that the Tories would not do, something the Lib Dems would not do, something the SNP would not do. No excusing the underhanded and corrupt behavior of GCC, but i like to look at the bigger picture. Who will do the most for the working class and most vulnerable. For me that is the Labour party. I would hope that every Bear will vote for whomever they feel will benefit our nation for the best.

Bothwell the SNP was behind keeping education free at university levels not the labour as ye said. Their mis-management has cost the working families more than they gave and allowed a tory gvt in The SNP has stopped the privatisation of GP's in Scotland what did Labour do down south?????????? Labour is no longer a feasible option we must go independent and be responsible for our own destiny and stop perpetrating the myth of Conservative elitism vs Labour for he working man

Jim McGovern is not a Glasgow based, even West Coast MP allgers

There is no doubt some people keep bad company and are influenced into making comments that are outwith the scope of their resonsibilities, I just hope the people of mcgoverns constituency recognise that a certain football team in Glasgow takes up more of his time than they do and vote with that in mind.

Maybe Labour voting Rangers fan look at in the bigger picture and do not vote because of which football team they support. I have voted Labour on several occasions because of their social stance and the help that they have provided me with my education and in raising a young family. They have helped with Student grants and with the creation of working tax credits which has gone a long way to helping my kids. Something that the Tories would not do, something the Lib Dems would not do, something the SNP would not do. No excusing the underhanded and corrupt behavior of GCC, but i like to look at the bigger picture. Who will do the most for the working class and most vulnerable. For me that is the Labour party. I would hope that every Bear will vote for whomever they feel will benefit our nation for the best.

Well I seem to remember the SNP - not Labour - ensuring university education was free for our children.

I also remember it was the Tories - not Labour - who introduced the right to buy with regard to council homes.

But one thing Labour can exclusively claim credit for - the engineering of the Iraq War.

Is that the big picture you refer to ?

Beast

D'Art perhaps Gers fans/Unionists should become more involved in politics and in the Labour party?

I will never vote for the separatist SNP.

I'm no fan of Lord Snooty and the Tories.

We are not exactly spoilt for choice.