Is McInnes Back In The Conversation Yet?

BlueSuedeSambas

Mcinnes defo wouldn't be just jobs for the boys

He's actually went away and proved himself first and has the attributes to be a successful Rangers manager in my opinion

Unlike McCoist

Proved himself where?

1 good season at St Johnstone

Given the bullet at Bristol City

Achieving reasonable consistency with an average Aberdeen side who have spent more than most other Premier sides and are still not runaway 2nd place by any view

Proved he is Joe Average at best

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not just the manager that's the problem, it's the whole set up.

If we do get fresh investment, the money should be sent on setting up a world class scouting system, and a world class youth system. We also need the right coaches in place, not ex players, but proper technical coaches. Nothing else is more important. There should be a blueprint set up about the way we expect to play football, the standards you have to uphold to play for Rangers and they should all be taught it from the youngest level, to the first team. Everyone should be taught the same way to play. We need a philosphy, strong at the back, strong in attack. That's where our next manager comes in. It could be the most important choice of manager in our history and we should have made it last season when we had time and money to impliment it!

Proved himself where?

Achieving reasonable consistency with an average Aberdeen side who have spent more than most other Premier sides and are still not runaway 2nd place by any view

Bristol City are a club that's declined badly all round, look at how they've gone on since he left

Is it in any way respectful to discuss a replacement for Ally while he still actually has the job.

Always happy to discuss his tactics (or lack thereof) & his philosophy (or lack thereof) but to actually discuss replacements is a bit seedy IMO

This is maybe why it happens.

No man is bigger than the club although it feels that way sometimes.

Proved himself where?

That's a matter of opinion then

I think he's proved himself, personally

It's not just the manager that's the problem, it's the whole set up.

If we do get fresh investment, the money should be sent on setting up a world class scouting system, and a world class youth system. We also need the right coaches in place, not ex players, but proper technical coaches. Nothing else is more important. There should be a blueprint set up about the way we expect to play football, the standards you have to uphold to play for Rangers and they should all be taught it from the youngest level, to the first team. Everyone should be taught the same way to play. We need a philosphy, strong at the back, strong in attack. That's where our next manager comes in. It could be the most important choice of manager in our history and we should have made it last season when we had time and money to impliment it!

GOAT - I htink you are bang on but we also need a manager who will deliver instant results otherwise our ever fickle fanbase will descend ont hem and the whole thing will collapse.

PLG could have been the man to deliver the great infrastructure when he came in. His on field performance was dire though and so we will never know what the potential could have been there.

We shoudl be able to get back to the top flight no bother but how many fans would accept possibly 4-5 seasons there possibly sitting well behind the filth waiting patiently for this all to fully take shape. I'd find it hard and I try and see myself as a "bigger picture" fan, but there are so many who just would't tolerate it and then the whole thing falls down again

It's a real shame we are still talking about the whole set up being a mess despite having these very same discussions for years.

You have to wonder if we as a club will ever get the finger out and do something about it.

really hoping it's on the top of Wallace list come the end of the 120 day review.

Is it in any way respectful to discuss a replacement for Ally while he still actually has the job.

Always happy to discuss his tactics (or lack thereof) & his philosophy (or lack thereof) but to actually discuss replacements is a bit seedy IMO

People often spoke about who would be SAF's successor at Man Utd and it wasn't deemed disrespectful. I don't see how this is any different especially because I haven't once called for McCoists head in this thread or suggested that he should be replaced now.

I'm merely putting it out there for discussion that there is a fairly decent depth of guys who are proving themselves elsewhere who will come into the equation when he does leave which is a far cry from what was out there when it came to replacing McLeish (we ended up with PLG, although he was seen as a coup at the time) & PLG (Smith was the only viable candidate then IMO)

That's a matter of opinion then

I think he's proved himself, personally

It's not opinion - it's fact.

We need someone who coudl hadle the pressure and edeliver at a club where, as Walter put it "you are only ever 3 defeats away form a crisis"

At what stage of his managerial career has McInnes ever proved that?

I think McInnes is a decent coach, but do I think he has PROVED he could handle the role here - no chance.

We need someone who coudl hadle the pressure and edeliver at a club where, as Walter put it "you are only ever 3 defeats away form a crisis"

I think McInnes is a decent coach, but do I think he has PROVED he could handle the role here - no chance.

What is fact?

He is a proven manager in Scotland, he has done well and guided Aberdeen to a cup final and second place so far in the Premiership.

He struggled in England at a club that was in a nose dive and still is.

How do you know he couldn't handle it, based on what exactly?

Bristol City are a club that's declined badly all round, look at how they've gone on since he left

True - beut we are not exactly in great ascendency ourselves and if Ally is replaced then we would need someone who could deliver this

GOAT - I htink you are bang on but we also need a manager who will deliver instant results otherwise our ever fickle fanbase will descend ont hem and the whole thing will collapse.

PLG could have been the man to deliver the great infrastructure when he came in. His on field performance was dire though and so we will never know what the potential could have been there.

We shoudl be able to get back to the top flight no bother but how many fans would accept possibly 4-5 seasons there possibly sitting well behind the filth waiting patiently for this all to fully take shape. I'd find it hard and I try and see myself as a "bigger picture" fan, but there are so many who just would't tolerate it and then the whole thing falls down again

It's going to happen with McCoist in charge unless we have someone who come in and buy us the league.

When it comes to talking about potential future Rangers managers?

He was often talked about as one when he was at St Johnstone but he completely fell off the radar when he moved to Bristol City & flopped. However, now he seems to have rebuilt his reputation a bit now, he's got the sheepshaggers playing some decent stuff, they are into their first cup final in however many years and are sitting second in the SPL.

This will probably spark a whole debate on the old boys acts, jobs for the boys, widening our horizons and changing the culture of the club (not necessarily points that I disagree with) but looking at it purely from the point of view of that historically we are a club who more often than not have appointed British managers it's surely no bad thing that McCall, Butcher & now McInnes are all proving themselves as very capable SPL managers and it bodes well for the future when it comes to identifying a new manager further down the line?

How "further down the line" are you talking here?

A month....two months....this summer??

The Rangers require and deserve the finished article a manager with a proven success rate and able to hit the ground running and impose his will on the club, we don't need unentered apprentices sand dancers or tv celebrities, if he costs us £750k or £1 million it would be money well spent.

Second best or third best is not in The Rangers vocabulary or bye-laws.

Get where your coming from but nah the debate is good

We deserve better

What is fact?

He is a proven manager in Scotland, he has done well and guided Aberdeen to a cup final and second place so far in the Premiership.

He struggled in England at a club that was in a nose dive and still is.

How do you know he couldn't handle it, based on what exactly?

The fact he has won nothing as a manager (I don''t count the challenge cup) and has 1 good season as amanager ecvery 5 years - that isn't a proven track record by any standard.

The guy has a 40% win rate across his managerial career - how long would he last at Ibrox if he continued that sort of record

and ally has? he was signed into the job with no prior experience other than a few cup games when Smith gave him the reigns.

With all due respect to you I don't think you know the difference between fact and opinion

The nose dive of Bristol City is partly down to him. They were supposed to be aiming for the playoffs when he took over and instead they were fighting relegation.

He used his budget on Ricky Foster and played him in 4 different positions. Also signed a number of guys with Champions League experience and still ended up leaving them in a relegation spot with no chance of getting out.

It's going to happen with McCoist in charge unless we have someone who come in and buy us the league.

I don't disagree with you there - that's why gettign the coice of successor is absolutely crucial. If that person can deliver results on the pitch and oversee a full restucture in scouting and youth then we have a real winner.

Derek McInnes would not be that person though

I don't disagree with you there - that's why gettign the coice of successor is absolutely crucial. If that person can deliver results on the pitch and oversee a full restucture in scouting and youth then we have a real winner.

Derek McInnes would not be that person though

In your opinion.

The argument of whether Ally should be manager of the club, going forward, is completely valid & always worthwhile.

I can understand that if you accept the premis that Ally isn't good enough, the next logical question would always be "who is then?" but for me that conversation should only happen if he leaves.