Derek Johnstone: Blind faith won't be enough for Rangers fans, club need to sho

Bothwellbear

Derek Johnstone: Blind faith won't be enough for Rangers fans, club need to show them the money

RANGERS chief executive Graham Wallace is, as we all know, currently carrying out a 120-day "restructuring project" at the Ibrox club.

Derek_Johnstone_210x210.jpg

Derek Johnstone Football columnist

Friday 21/02/2014

0 Comments

Print

23502247.jpg

Dave King has been linked several times with investing money in the Ibrox club

When he completes it, the likelihood is that cutbacks will have to be made. The club is currently operating at a loss and existing funds are dwindling.

But if he reduces outgoings then how does the club go forward without significant additional investment?

For me, there has to be fresh funding.

It has been suggested by some that this £1.5m loan from the Easdale brothers and Laxey Partners will help tide the club over until supporters renew season tickets.

But I am not so sure that Rangers can rely on their followers simply backing them with blind loyalty without them seeing something in return.

Fans will want assurances about the financial state of the club at present and about where their money will go before they commit to buying their season tickets once again.

The club cannot move up to the SPFL Championship next season - a full-time league - with the same players as they have this year.

I am not talking about them going out and buying anybody for huge sums of money. But they can strengthen once again with free transfers.

The fans need to know if their hard-earned cash will just go towards helping the club get through the season or will go into the squad.

I am genuinely convinced that those involved at Rangers at the moment are working away for the good of the club.

But supporters are entitled to ask questions about the future, and whether investment will be coming in.

We are hearing reports Dave King, the South Africa-based businessman and former director, has had his offer to invest rejected by the club.

I am led to believe that, because the way the club is set up at the moment, Rangers would be unable to accept any investment from him.

But that may well change in the future if, as is looking increasingly likely, there is a second share offering. As I say, I think there has to be fresh investment.

But the vast majority of Rangers fans - and I include myself in this number - do not understand or have any interest in the financial side of the club.

They just want progress on the park and off it. They do not care about the personalities involved as long as the club flourishes.

But I think it would help supporters work together with the club if it was explained why an investment from King was turned down if, indeed, it actually was.

Totally agree with DJ all we want is a team on the park strong enough to win the championship next season as the current line up is nowhere near strong enough to win it , and I also believe we should only be looking at bosmans at this time , however there needs to be major investment on the playing side when we return to the SPFL of at least 10m for the standard of player who will be required

Totally agree with DJ all we want is a team on the park strong enough to win the championship next season as the current line up is nowhere near strong enough to win it , and I also believe we should only be looking at bosmans at this time , however there needs to be major investment on the playing side when we return to the SPFL of at least 10m for the standard of player who will be required

The current team is easily good enough to win the championship next season.

Mental.

I have said it many times lets get the plan finished and then see what is required to move Rangers forward. With a plan in place it makes life easier to pitch to get additional funding in. We can all have opinions but until this plan is made public and we all know what is required all the opinions so far mean NOTHING.

In the Ramsden's final

Walking the League

In Scottish Cup quarters with a very good chance of the Semi-finals.

Aye, we have no chance of winning the Championship.

Bell

Wallace

Law

Aird

Templeton

Shiels

Daly

Black

MacLeod

8 players in my opinion who are too good for the Championship - and there are a few more you could easily add to that in my opinion. We will win it, and with a bit to spare.

"But supporters are entitled to ask questions about the future, and whether investment will be coming in......

As I say, I think there has to be fresh investment.

But the vast majority of Rangers fans - and I include myself in this number - do not understand or have any interest in the financial side of the club. "

So we are entitled to ask about investments, DJ HAS an opinion on investment, but don't have any interest in the financial issues involving the club.

Contradictory nonsense from DJ. Now more than ever we do have an interest,and importantly transparency.

DJ really does irk me with some nonsense he spouts and when he doesn't use his platform on RC to defend us or merely get facts out there.

The current team is easily good enough to win the championship next season.

i really do dispair with some our fans....the current team is not good enough to win the championship it is another big step up in class , remember we cannot just hope we are good enough to in this league , we simply must win it!.... ,we have no right full back, a bombscare, and an over the hill forward/midfielder beside him in the centre of defence, lack creativity in midfield and lack a poacher type up front , thats 5 areas that need to be looked at !

There are some who totally overrate the quality of football in Scotland. I would be very confident that our current squad could and should achieve at least a top 6 finish in the so called "Premiership". Frankly the teams in that league, bar the taigs are pish. If we fail to comfortably win the Championship next season with the wage bill / resources we have then frankly quite it would be a disgrace.

There's a lot of money being wasted at our club, not least the wages for players that neither take part and probably never will. Get rid of them and replace them with a few decent players, bring on a few youths and we have plenty to get ourselves into the SPFL over the next 2 years.

Remember, ticket prices will increase next year, no?

And if there is another share issue, don't have it just before Christmas.

i really do dispair with some our fans....the current team is not good enough to win the championship it is another big step up in class , remember we cannot just hope we are good enough to in this league , we simply must win it!.... ,we have no right full back, a bombscare, and an over the hill forward/midfielder beside him in the centre of defence, lack creativity in midfield and lack a poacher type up front , thats 5 areas that need to be looked at !

The current squad has weaknesses, but for the level we will be going into it's absolutely fine. It's the Scottish first division, not the champions league.

There are some who totally overrate the quality of football in Scotland. I would be very confident that our current squad could and should achieve at least a top 6 finish in the so called "Premiership". Frankly the teams in that league, bar the taigs are pish. If we fail to comfortably win the Championship next season with the wage bill / resources we have then frankly quite it would be a disgrace.

the Championship is not a lot better than div 1 or 2 and the SPFL is not a massive step up from the championship. Europe? Well that is a whole different issue. If we even want to contemplate competing in Europe then investment in players will be required.

Europe in my opinion needs to be on the backburner for a while till we reestablish our supremacy in the domestic league.

Another article from the rebel alliance saying "I fully support the board but we need investment. ....Dave King.....investment. .....Dave King. Did I mention Dave King ?"

Anyone would think he wanted Dave King involved.

This board are no mugs and have continually proved the rebels are not the only source of anything. (Except bullshit I suppose)

They won't have king foisted on them and he can't starve his way in.

If they want him they will call.

As for renewals, bears will renew anyway regardless of any financial moves going on.

Does DK really think bears will let the season start without them ?

Hes barking up the wrong tree there. In fact he's just barking.

we have a good enough team at the moment, the league position and two cups we are in shows this.

in the summer we have to move atleast 5 players on and bring in at least 3 good player but only if the club has the money to do this,if not then the fans will have to dig deep or the board find investment which is part of there job that there getting well paid for.

Christ sake.

I assume you see us as underdogs in the Ramsdens Cup final then? :lol: