Inverness, the new barca

What is it with ex bheast players and turning their teams into a "barca" passing game team?

We all saw how that worked out for monkeyheid at the stad de gadd but now yogi has his sights on the highlanders revolutionising their game on barcas blueprint.

From the bbc:

John Hughes has defended himself against those who question his desire to have his Inverness players trying to emulate Barcelona's passing game.

"You'll never get close to them - never in a million years," the Caley Thistle manager admitted. "You can live until your 60 and never get close to them.

"But we're not playing against Real Madrid and Malaga, no disrespect to the rest of the teams.

"It all balances itself out. But you need that vision to inspire you."

Hughes took over after Terry Butcher's departure for the Caley Thistle manager's former club, Hibernian, in December.

They have slipped from a high of second place to fifth after a run of nine games during which they have only recorded one victory.

But Hughes is determined not to stray from his preferred passing style and took his squad back to school ahead of Friday's Highland derby against Ross County.

"You just have to keep believing," he told BBC Scotland. "It is my ideas and my philosophy. I am not going to ask them to train one way and play another.

"I took them into a classroom this morning and read the two football bibles - for the moment for me - it's the Barcelona book and Pep Guardiola's book.

"Going on the tactics board, taking the tactics board on to the training pitch.

"If you've not got a structure or philosophy, the game becomes individuals and if you've got a team of individuals then you'll never win a football match."

Despite Tuesday's 2-1 home defeat by Motherwell, Hughes was pleased with his side's performances but stressed they were a "work in progress".

"If you look at the European Cup final two seasons ago, Inter Milan against Barcelona, Barcelona total football, a team I would pay money to watch, and yet it's a boot up the park, a flick on and it is in the back of the net and the cup goes back to Italy," he said.

"That's similar to what happened to us the other night. Two long balls and it's in the back of the net."

"We're controlling the football park and passing it well - a little bit slow, we have to speed it up, that's for sure.

"It is going to take time. We just have to show patience.

"Terry left with a great bunch of boys with great values and he prides himself on clean sheets and that's where we've let ourselves down.

"Just because we play an expansive style of football, doesn't mean we let the other team score goals."

Related to this story

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/26877820

He was a shit appointment for them. Seems to have a decent reputation because his teams try and play decent which would be all fine and well but they never actually achieve anything by doing it.

It's no coincidence that they have dropped down the table since he moved there. They will finish bottom 6 next season and probably be in a relegation scrap the season after if he's not sacked before then.

I expected him to get slated for that, BUT, I like the fact that he has a philosophy. Of course he isnt goinng to get them to play like Barca, but there is no harm in trying to emulate it and take some things from them.

We want to copy the Youth/Scouting system of Ajax.. we're never gonna get to the same level, but there is no harm in trying to take some things from them and trying as best to move in that direction.

It's not just the passing game that make Barca such a good team though. It's their off the ball work that is exception and requires really fit players to constantly close down their opponents for 90mins and then counter attack.

I doubt his squad could emulate that.

It's not just the passing game that make Barca such a good team though. It's their off the ball work that is exception and requires really fit players to constantly close down their opponents for 90mins and then counter attack.

I doubt his squad could emulate that.

Of course, but that doesnt mean that you can do something similar, on a lower standard, of course.

Another thing is the power on each pass.. you need good technique to be able to tame those passes, but that can be worked on as well.