Rangers players 'can't believe' what they earn, according to Kevin Kyle

]Kevin Kyle shone a light on the financial mismanagement at Rangers when he claimed even his former team-mates can’t believe how much they earn.

A business review by Graham Wallace last week revealed staggering losses of £70.7million in the last 18 months, with the chief executive insisting that the wage cost is ‘well in excess of what it should be’.

But responding to criticism of players being paid £7,000 a week to play against part-time opponents in the lower leagues, manager Ally McCoist insisted the first-team wages-to-turnover ratio is just 28 per cent — a figure he believes is the ‘envy of any club in world football’.

In a typically candid interview with Sportsmail, however, former Ibrox striker Kyle claims the club are paying players far more than most of them could ever hope to make elsewhere.

‘There are guys at Rangers who can’t believe their luck at what they earn,’ said the 32-year-old, who signed for the Ibrox club in August 2012.

‘I remember a fellow pro phoning me in the summer and, because I had read about it in a paper, I asked him: “Did Rangers really offer you that amount?”

‘And he said to me: “You know what? I think I could actually get even more off them”.

‘You are thinking to yourself: “Third division football and they are going to be earning £350,000 or £400,000 a year? And they would go higher still?”’

Kyle spent last season at Rangers, making nine appearances and scoring three goals during an injury-plagued spell.

Exonerating his former team-mates of blame for doing the best they can financially, he claims he was offered four times what he would have accepted to join the club.

‘You cannot blame the players because they were offered the cash,’ he maintained. ‘It’s the guys who were at Rangers before who ultimately paid them the cash.

‘If you are going to be really, really honest and brutal about it, you take a lot of those players in the Rangers team and challenge them to go somewhere else in Scotland and get the same cash — they wouldn’t get it.

‘Even if they tried to go south, they wouldn’t get it there, either. There would be one or two that might. Lee Wallace probably.

‘But I don’t think any other player in that Rangers team just now could go to another club and get the same wages.’

http://www.dailymail...Kevin-Kyle.html

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

'Exonerating his former team-mates of blame for doing the best they can financially, he claims he was offered four times what he would have accepted to join the club.'

That is frightening.

Was there not something posted on here saying Daly would have signed for £2k a week but we jumped straight in at £5k?

Makes you think that getting players from the lower divisions should have been the prudent choice, but no, we go the opposite way and allow the manager to take his pick, and end up paying over the odds for overweight,overrated, and ultimately, overpaid, underachievers. Whoever let this happen must have been a shrewd operator, and must by all means be rewarded for his negotiating skills, I don't think.

:7325:

Makes you think that getting players from the lower divisions should have been the prudent choice, but no, we go the opposite way and allow the manager to take his pick, and end up paying over the odds for overweight,overrated, and ultimately, overpaid, underachievers. Whoever let this happen must have been a shrewd operator, and must by all means be rewarded for his negotiating skills, I don't think.

:7325:

Careful now, you cant blame Ally as he didn't know his budget.

Actually its not that he didn't know it and its not that he did

but he didn't :craphead:

I have a new business strategy for the wage negotiating team, it's not too complicated so it shouldn't cause too much problems.

...ask, yeah, ask the player how... how much he wants to, be paid before saying, "here's 7 grand a week, what d'ya thinka that?"

In all seriousness, I think it's a fair point. How can a player, or a lower agent have the upper hand in these negotiations against serious business men? We are Rangers, these players would have jumped at the chance to join us simply to play in front of so many fans in such a great stadium, enjoying world class services.

I don't get it, it's like they didn't care enough about the situation, reeks of people not giving a shit to be honest.

business review by Graham Wallace last week revealed staggering losses of £70.7million in the last 18 months, with the chief executive insisting that the wage cost is ‘well in excess of what it should be’.

Feck me...talk about getting the facts wrong ...wish they would stop to check the mince they write...70.7 million losses???? Since when.

I cannot believe the attitude of the Rangers Team that took to the field in the Ramsdens Cup Final- they looked well groomed, arrogant, very comfortable, and disinclined to put in a hard shift. Overpaid? Just one of many aspects of the Culture that needs to change before we see a combative, eager and genuinely professional Rangers team run onto the pitch again.

manager Ally McCoist insisted the first-team wages-to-turnover ratio is just 28 per cent — a figure he believes is the ‘envy of any club in world football’.

This gets to me. We certainly aren't the envy of any club in world football. When he is comparing the ratio figures he is doing it against Premiership and Championship teams in England and other countries where the league is tough and full-time definitely not comparing the ratio figures to teams in other countries that are in the 3rd or 4th tier and part-time opponents. The wages we pay are a disgrace for this league!

I cannot believe the attitude of the Rangers Team that took to the field in the Ramsdens Cup Final- they looked well groomed, arrogant, very comfortable, and disinclined to put in a hard shift. Overpaid? Just one of many aspects of the Culture that needs to change before we see a combative, eager and genuinely professional Rangers team run onto the pitch again.

It's like they are all good mates but not team mates willing to roll their sleeves up and give us 90minutes of entertainment and a good shift .The players we have are mostly not good enough but they are all Allys mates now