Willie Johnston sitting on the ball..

I recall him patting a selilk player on the head at the piggery after we scored a goal. Was it the 4-2 game in 1968?

I came out of that game exhausted (honestly), one of our finest performances ever.

The atmosphere was unbelievable.

I also recall Willie Johnston in amongst the choir at Ibrox on more than one occasion.

A legend in every sense of the word.

Was it not Jim Craig he patted on the head after a OG at Celtic Park.in a cup game.

Wee Doddie was sent off in the same game.

Before my time but i've been told this numerous times

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not only did he sit on the ball against Bayern and against the taigs but his classic was his corner when plaing with Vancouver. The crowd were basically on top of the players the seats were so close. Wee bud goes to take a corner; a guy offers him a beer, we man takes a swig, floats over a lovely corner and Vancouver score........ gotta love the wee man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=l9ckZUpGoNI

Was at Easter Rd when George Best played for them. As he was taking a corner someone threw a can of beer at him , to which he picked it up and kidded on to take a swig out it.

Anyway , back on topic , Willie Johnston , along with Colin Stein were my first Rangers heroes as a young pup .

Was it not Jim Craig he patted on the head after a OG at Celtic Park.in a cup game.

Wee Doddie was sent off in the same game.

Before my time but i've been told this numerous times

Was that not Colin Stein ?

Seem to recall it was a corner and Craig headed it in his own net and fell sitting down , at which point Stein ( I think ) ruffled his hair . Put us one up , tho we ended up getting humped out the cup.

Was that not Colin Stein ?

Seem to recall it was a corner and Craig headed it in his own net and fell sitting down , at which point Stein ( I think ) ruffled his hair . Put us one up , tho we ended up getting humped out the cup.

You could be right, memory may be playing up.

Pitch didn't have any grass on it, 100%mud i was told

Lost 3-1 with Davie Hay scoring a 30 yard fluke

You could be right, memory may be playing up.

Pitch didn't have any grass on it, 100%mud i was told

Lost 3-1 with Davie Hay scoring a 30 yard fluke

It was 3-1 and Doddie was sent off. Other than that I don't know too much about it. Would have been 9 or 10 at the time and it was one of the first Rangers / c....c games I was aware of . Just remember the old black and white pictures off of the telly of the Rangers goal . Happily have no recollection of any other goal from the game !

The fun really seems to have been taken out of football.

What do you think would happen to a player if he took a beer off someone like that nowadays?

A lot less than for booting the ref up the arse, something he did at West Brom. He was sent off and asked why he kicked him up the backside and he replied " he turned at the last minute". :lol:

The crowd always sounds incredible in these old videos. Id love nothing more than to go to a game at Ibrox in the 70s.

I was at the game v Bayern, we won 2-0, I think, my elder brothers took me to the game, even though my mum didn't want me to go as it was a 'school night' & I had school the next day, also we lived near Edinburgh at the time, & getting out of Ibrox & home took about an hour and a half back then, making it way past my bedtime by the time we got home.

80 000 there that night, if memory serves me right.

The All-seater stadium got rid of the good atmosphere at games.

Looking at the old Scotsport clips there, although the pitches where crap back in the day, Scottish players where technically miles ahead than the modern Scottish player, every single player in the above clips, could do the basics without even having to think about it.

I blame the teachers strike in the early eighties :ph34r:

• 3 weeks later...

Bud was a joy to watch, along with other antics on that era.

Baxter hiding the ball up his jersey and walking away with his back to the ref. who was frantically trying to find the ball and Kusnetsov standing on the ball.

Great memories. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Bud was a joy to watch, along with other antics on that era.

Baxter hiding the ball up his jersey and walking away with his back to the ref. who was frantically trying to find the ball and Kusnetsov standing on the ball.

Great memories. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Do you mean Kanchelskis when he stood on the ball against Ayr utd in the cup final?

I used to love watching him, although i do remember at the latter stage of his career when playing for us at Ibrox he stood on a players head and i am sure he got sent off for it, canny understand it myself :ph34r:

John McMaster. Stood on his neck. His excuse was "I thought it was Willie Miller" :lol:

Always thought Willie was a bit of a hothead and, as a winger, was a bit one dimensional as he mostly relied on his pace rather than outright skill to beat a man.

That being said, Colin Stein and Willie were brilliant as a front pair the year we won the ECWC.

'Bud' was always sitting on the ball during a game, the crowd loved it and he often provided his trademark in less difficult games.

Story has it Kanchelskis did this in a game with Man U and Ferguson was 'raging' with him and he never done it again.

When Kanchelskis arrived at Ibrox Bud 'slagged' him for backing down at Man U and urged him to do a 'sit on the ball' when playing in the Cup final against Ayr Utd, Kanchelskis said to him 'I can't do that in a cup final' and Willie told him 'I done it' (1971 league cup)

Kanchelskis decided to go one better just to impress Bud and stood on the ball, rather than sit on it.

He got pelters from Dick and never tried that ever again, Willie had one helluva belly laugh meantime.

Always thought Willie was a bit of a hothead and, as a winger, was a bit one dimensional as he mostly relied on his pace rather than outright skill to beat a man.

That being said, Colin Stein and Willie were brilliant as a front pair the year we won the ECWC.

Hot-head; hard to disagree. One-dimensional? Sorry you gotta be joking. He has pace, great ball control, an eye for goal and for a 'wee bloke' scored quite a few goals with his head.

Another Rangers player treated harshly by the SFA during his Rangers career.

Hot-head; hard to disagree. One-dimensional? Sorry you gotta be joking. He has pace, great ball control, an eye for goal and for a 'wee bloke' scored quite a few goals with his head.

Another Rangers player treated harshly by the SFA during his Rangers career.

He did have an eye for goal and was pretty good in the air which is why I think he was more effective when he played through the middle for us.

As a winger, never thought he had same level of ball control as some of our greats in that position. All a matter of opinion though.