Charlie Telfer Signs for Dundee United

OzGers

hate to play devils advocate - and I do think releasing guys like telfer is the wrong way - but if we were not so demanding in everything (and I think we are right to be) more youngsters would get game time.

Instead what we as a club has wanted for so long is "the win" and now its got to the stage with all the turmoil at the board etc that the "safe" option is to play experienced, un-exciting players who are more likely to grind out a win.

We have gone through CEO's and boardroom staff like EPL clubs go through managers.

to opt for "stability" on the pitch when there is so much risk elsewhere has been written on the wall since half way through our 3rd division romp..

Been preaching this for years. The majority of fans who watch us are clueless as to the finer details of football. The majority also want 100mph blood and thunder and demand we win every game including friendlies. So yes the pressure on our managers to win every game was as a direct result of the demands of the support. That argument was relevant when we were in the top flight but not when we were demoted.

Had McCoist (or any manager for that matter) come out right at the start and explained his "project" was going to involve youth and a few poor results, i expect the majority would have went with him.

Yes there would have been poor performances and moans and groans from fans whose opinions are worthless. In time though if the lads were given the support and backing from the fans and the management i am convinced they would have got us to where we are now. And without spending millions either.

This would have been the season to up the ante in terms of quality of player and judge who had it to make it through this league and cope in the SPFL. Some would have fallen away by now (Perry being the prime example). He only needed 4 or 5 games to prove he was not good enough. Similarly when someone like McLeod comes in you can see in 4 or 5 games he is something special and worth putting in the effort for.

The opportunity is gone and will never return (I hope) as that would mean going back in to admin.

So now it's back to boom and bust as the support rack up the pressure. This in turn forces the manager (wrongly) to look at players like Miller in the belief that he is better than Clark or Gallagher.

I fully expect next season to be identical to this season. Bright start then fading away to mediocrity as the same players are forced to play the same god awful style of route one football.

Bottom line is that McCoist had a golden opportunity that no other Rangers manager has ever had - and hopefully will never have again.

Rebuild the entire playing side based on FOOTBALL (on the deck, give & go, make yourself available etc) with the best of the young players, a very small core of experienced pros to help them and the best training facility in the country.

Does anyone think this side would not have won back to back promotions?

Bell

McAusland - McCulloch - Gasparatto - Wallace

McLeod - Hutton

Aird - Law - McKay

Little

His insistence on buying maturity over potential is all about his own insecurity and lack of confidence/ability as a coach.

We brought more kids through (Ness, McCabe, Wylde etc) into the first team when we had money than we do now when we're skint.

I have never seen Telfer play but the reviews of his performances are consistently good and he sounds like a real prospect who is also a lifelong bluenose into the bargain. I despise United but they have a great record of spotting and developing kids and their desire to sign him tells me this is another McCoist own goal.

The sooner this man, great player though he was, leaves our club, the better - we will continue to wither while self-preservation is put ahead of future growth and opportunities.

Charlie Telfer - who has gone from being a virtual unknown to the most exciting teenage prospect since Pele in the space of a few days this week

Sums up the last week. Sad that he has gone but we tried to keep him and HE chose to leave. No player at Rangers should be guaranteed a 1st team place. It needs to be earned.

Bottom line is that McCoist had a golden opportunity that no other Rangers manager has ever had - and hopefully will never have again.

Rebuild the entire playing side based on FOOTBALL (on the deck, give & go, make yourself available etc) with the best of the young players, a very small core of experienced pros to help them and the best training facility in the country.

Are you sure that is the job he was asked to do? His employers asked him to get back to the top ASAP, no hiccups.

Sums up the last week. Sad that he has gone but we tried to keep him and HE chose to leave. No player at Rangers should be guaranteed a 1st team place. It needs to be earned.

If McCoist applied that it would be fine but he doesn't. Our first team are guaranteed a start no matter how badly they perform. To me this is the reason youngsters like Urquhart and Telfer are now deciding to leave as they know the manager will stick with his favourites.

If McCoist applied that it would be fine but he doesn't. Our first team are guaranteed a start no matter how badly they perform. To me this is the reason youngsters like Urquhart and Telfer are now deciding to leave as they know the manager will stick with his favourites.

I don't agree bob. The last 2 seasons have seen us kicked up and down the pitches while the u20s for example have been playing the top league youth teams. McCoist goes to watch almost every u20 game, according to Gallagher, so he knows who is able to step up and who isn't.

It might be the case but grinding out these results has been partly due to the big punt to Daly tactics when playing Daly as a lone striker. The defending corners with every player back for it has seen the opposition retain possession even if we clear it and kept us under pressure.

Maybe if we tried to play football we would see MacLeod played in the middle rather than stuck out wide. Maybe MacLeod could be replaced by Crawford in this case and we could see Crawford for once played in his preferred position. Maybe the likes of Telfer could be brought on for the last 20 minutes rather than bringing the likes of Faure on to replace a midfielder. Maybe if all the yougsters got a 20 minute slot regularly they would think they had a chance at Ibrox.

If I was Charlie Telfer and I thought I was good enough I would probably leave Rangers rather than wasting away and being released with no chance of making it at 23. Its only goalkeepers who have came into our first team after they are in their 20's. I cant think of a modern day outfield player to have made it with us after this age.

(tu) you're spot on with regards to bringing the young lads on, rather than faure or cribari, we know what these lads are capable of - absolutely sod all, why bring them on? What purpose does it serve to bring faure on in midfield, when he's a centre half. When we have Crawford, Murdoch and Telfer twiddling their thumbs. Fucking daft

tried to keep him by waiting until the final two weeks of his contract to offer him one, and only because we heard Dundee United were after him

Are you sure that is the job he was asked to do? His employers asked him to get back to the top ASAP, no hiccups.

we were playing amateurs and part time footballers that were more concerned with delivering mail, teaching schoolkids and fixing leaks, we didnt need cribari, kyle, sandaza, peralta etc

tried to keep him by waiting until the final two weeks of his contract to offer him one, and only because we heard Dundee United were after him

we were playing amateurs and part time footballers that were more concerned with delivering mail, teaching schoolkids and fixing leaks, we didnt need cribari, kyle, sandaza, peralta etc

Really?

Wouldn't surprise me to be honest. Look what we did with Mitchelllast year, signed him then 6 weeks later told him he could go.

Doesnt matter how high the level is, bringing them through the youth ranks then simply releasing them or watching them leave in their late teens is a pointless waste of time

We just let a 23yo international player leave for nothing, how much do you think little cost us in development and wages over his time at rangers, yet we chose to let him go

If lesser clubs with worse facilities can still command over half a mill for their young players, why arent we doing the same

Why not just ignore the point I made that we are hanging on to our 4/5 brightest stars and ramble on anyway about how shite everything is anyway - after all it's the ( new) Rangers way!

Why not just ignore the point I made that we are hanging on to our 4/5 brightest stars and ramble on anyway about how shite everything is anyway - after all it's the ( new) Rangers way!

and again your missing my point, its good were keeping our brightest stars, they are the ones we can mould into our first team in the future

the rest however shouldnt be leaving for nothing, especially international players, allowing andy little (for example) to leave for nothing is a disgrace

If your a footballer and you have no chance playing football whats the point in staying? I'd rather players wanted to better themselves elsewhere rather than sitting in the stands or bench taking money from the club.

If you are a footballer and you have no chance of playing for the first team I want you gone, the reserves should be full of young guys that know they should be playing for the first team, leaving is giving up and telling the world you are not good enough.

It does my fucking head in that we have some off the best young talent in Scotland that would love nothing better than play for the club they love but time after time we show a complete lack off faith and trust in them when it comes to the first team, no wonder they all go elsewhere.

What is the point in getting these young guys in at the age off nine train them for another nine years then letting them go just as they should be getting their chance in the first team?

Yes l know lots can't/won't make the step up but the amout off good young players we let go only to sign overpriced has beens is fucking criminal.

Agree with every word mate (tu)

Never thought I'd think this but rapidly coming to opinion it's a poor use of time and money having a youth development policy. Post Bosman, players have all the power and even at a young age if they show any promise, they are off chasing the money. Don't blame them for doing this but does call into question why we bother on youth side.

Think the mob across the city have hit on the right idea. They seem to be concentrating in picking up players in early 20s, playing them for a year or two, and if they come good selling them on. Of course, you need to have a reasonably good scouting system to make this work.

Never thought I'd think this but rapidly coming to opinion it's a poor use of time and money having a youth development policy. Post Bosman, players have all the power and even at a young age if they show any promise, they are off chasing the money. Don't blame them for doing this but does call into question why we bother on youth side.

Think the mob across the city have hit on the right idea. They seem to be concentrating in picking up players in early 20s, playing them for a year or two, and if they come good selling them on. Of course, you need to have a reasonably good scouting system to make this work.

And a compliant mhedia willing to big up every player they sign as a superstar and link them with big money moves to all the big English clubs. Richard Wilson wrote a article on the potential new taig manager some guy from Norway who I've never heard off but the article was calling him the "Norwegian Jugan Klopp" and going on and on about how great he is, if that's how a supposed bear talks about bheast targets what chance have we got of ever getting a fair deal from the press? (sorry gone a bit OT here but the article annoyed me lol)

And a compliant mhedia willing to big up every player they sign as a superstar and link them with big money moves to all the big English clubs. Richard Wilson wrote a article on the potential new taig manager some guy from Norway who I've never heard off but the article was calling him the "Norwegian Jugan Klopp" and going on and on about how great he is, if that's how a supposed bear talks about bheast targets what chance have we got of ever getting a fair deal from the press? (sorry gone a bit OT here but the article annoyed me lol)

good points made but just a wee note that richard wilson actually grew up a celtic supporter

and again your missing my point, its good were keeping our brightest stars, they are the ones we can mould into our first team in the future

the rest however shouldnt be leaving for nothing, especially international players, allowing andy little (for example) to leave for nothing is a disgrace

Little: he was at the end of his contract - should we have given him another contract and them gamble on getting a fee? I'm not sure your coming across like you know how contracts and transfers work these days.

• 2 weeks later...

It must be frustrsating for a youngster at 18 or 19, not even making it onto the bench. When theres guys like Black, and Daly starting.

Silly stuff Black and Daly have performed at a level this boy may never reach whatever you think of the pair of them.