Charlie Telfer Signs for Dundee United

OzGers

Im interested to see what the manager does with Gallagher if he does bring Miller in. If tossed aside like Gasparotto was last season it will tell us a lot.

As for Telfer he probably has made the correct decision as he would have no chance of getting into the managers team and would stagnate.

The irony is that urquhart has gone to Coventry City under Pressley, remember him, one of our youth players who wasn't good enough for the first team at Ibrox.

The fact is that there are hundreds of players who are good enough to play for hundreds of teams, but very few who are good enough to play for Rangers. It's a fact of life that Rangers will have an abundance of talent available to us, very few have/will make the break through into the first team.

The circumstances at the moment dictate that we must win the Championship this season, just like we had to win Div 3 and Div 1. At Dundee Utd, mediocrity is expected and delivered. Not here.

There's always an excuse for not giving them a chance quinty. If the young players don't get a chance in these divisions then they never will.

In 1986 when Graeme Souness took over the Rangers first team was roughly about 50% home grown players and about 50% bought in, but since these days young players have found it harder and harder to break into the first team and whilst the last couple of years were the perfect opportunity to reverse this trend what's happened under McCoist has been a continuation of our policy not to go with home grown players.

The way I feel about Rangers, nothing would persuade me to leave.

Sad when boys like Little are told to go but when your offered to stay on and choose otherwise..

See Ya .

On the button,much rather players here who are willing to wait or fight tooth and nail to wear the shirt because if he's as good as being made out he would have got an opportunity at some point.

To be fair, it's not just Ally who has squandered youth, I mean Gordon Ramsay was one of ours and look at the career he went on to enjoy :thumbup:

Poor old Gordon, where did it all go wrong?

Or to coin a phrase, "Who called the cook a cunt?", and the reply from the crew was, "Who called the cunt a cook?".

:7325:

The way I feel about Rangers, nothing would persuade me to leave.

Sad when boys like Little are told to go but when your offered to stay on and choose otherwise..

See Ya .

If your a footballer and you have no chance playing football whats the point in staying? I'd rather players wanted to better themselves elsewhere rather than sitting in the stands or bench taking money from the club.

Tbh I had not made my mind up on Telfer, but obviously has some potential.

There are two main issues for me though.

1) Would he have been good enough to become a regular player for us ? If so, we have made a serious mistake, if not, then best he tries again elsewhere. Time will tell on this one.

2) If we wanted to keep him and he decided to go to Dundee United himself, then either the boy or his agent is a fool, as he would be guaranteed more exposure and potential as a Rangers player, even in the championship.

If your a footballer and you have no chance playing football whats the point in staying? I'd rather players wanted to better themselves elsewhere rather than sitting in the stands or bench taking money from the club.

If your offered a contract, do all you can in training and youth games to make it work.

Little point in signing for a club with the moniker "No Surrender" if you fuck off to Dundee Hivs first chance you get ..

"Urquhart left Rangers and now Telfer has done the same. If Ally McCoist isn’t asking questions of his youth department, perhaps he should be. Is there a problem with the way some boys are being treated in there?"

There is an arguable case for that question to be reversed,perhaps. :pipe:

EVERY year that we have had kids - some have left at this stage - it will happen next season as well - BUT I struggle to think of one we released that went on to be TOP class? Can you think of any?

EVERY year that we have had kids - some have left at this stage - it will happen next season as well - BUT I struggle to think of one we released that went on to be TOP class? Can you think of any?

I'll answer your question with a question, do you think everyone who has played for us in the previous two seasons were TOP class ?

If the answer is yes then i've been watching a different team

If the answer is no then why not give them at least the opportunity to impress ?.

Could McAusland be worse than Foster for instance ?

We might discover a gem from within who can cope with the pressure and expectations of being a Ranger but they need at least the chance.

If your offered a contract, do all you can in training and youth games to make it work.

Little point in signing for a club with the moniker "No Surrender" if you fuck off to Dundee Hivs first chance you get ..

How do you know he has not done all he could in training and youth games and still got nowhere?

Is this the first chance he's had to get a transfer? No Surrender does not mean much these days im afraid...We Surrendered the club anthem without a fight...

Kenny Miller ? :pipe:

do they need to be top class for us t sell on at a small profit, no one is expecting every single youth to command a place in the first team for the rest of his career, but how about they look like decent back up players for us that could do a job for lesser clubs, then they lesser clubs may well offer a few bob

like i said before st mirren just knocked back a 400k bid for a 19yo midfielder from sheffield united, we just lost 3 players that came through our youth system for probably 100k in total (if we get lucky at the tribunal for telfer)

think of all the young players we've brought through over the last what? 15 years? how many have we sold for money?

ferguson

hutton

adam

is there any else, im struggling to think here of anymore

sad to see a young player with potential leave after all the time was and effort the club spent on the development of the player. Sad that he thought it better to leave club for his continued development. IMO he would be regarded more favourably if he has rose to the challenge, stayed and fought for his place. He could have at least thanked the club for signing him when he was only 9 years old. Good luck to Telfer and hope for his every success.

I'll answer your question with a question, do you think everyone who has played for us in the previous two seasons were TOP class ?

If the answer is yes then i've been watching a different team

If the answer is no then why not give them at least the opportunity to impress ?.

Could McAusland be worse than Foster for instance ?

We might discover a gem from within who can cope with the pressure and expectations of being a Ranger but they need at least the chance.

Not one of our players is 'Top Class' but there are no where near as bad as some would make out - we have blooded kids - but the kids have to earn that right to play - some have - some have not - the last thing we want it to play kids just because they 'might' step up, they have to earn the right to play. Now foster ain't as bad as folk make out, but let's say he is - how shite is macausland if he can't displace Foster!

Aye! Kenny Miller (tu)

do they need to be top class for us t sell on at a small profit, no one is expecting every single youth to command a place in the first team for the rest of his career, but how about they look like decent back up players for us that could do a job for lesser clubs, then they lesser clubs may well offer a few bob

like i said before st mirren just knocked back a 400k bid for a 19yo midfielder from sheffield united, we just lost 3 players that came through our youth system for probably 100k in total (if we get lucky at the tribunal for telfer)

think of all the young players we've brought through over the last what? 15 years? how many have we sold for money?

ferguson

hutton

adam

is there any else, im struggling to think here of anymore

Yes but we are holding on to our young players who can command a fee - Aird, Macleod, Crawford, Gallagher,and players like Ckark are atill young as well. The ones we have let go will find their level and I suspect it won't be that high.

Yes but we are holding on to our young players who can command a fee - Aird, Macleod, Crawford, Gallagher,and players like Ckark are atill young as well. The ones we have let go will find their level and I suspect it won't be that high.

Doesnt matter how high the level is, bringing them through the youth ranks then simply releasing them or watching them leave in their late teens is a pointless waste of time

We just let a 23yo international player leave for nothing, how much do you think little cost us in development and wages over his time at rangers, yet we chose to let him go

If lesser clubs with worse facilities can still command over half a mill for their young players, why arent we doing the same

hate to play devils advocate - and I do think releasing guys like telfer is the wrong way - but if we were not so demanding in everything (and I think we are right to be) more youngsters would get game time.

Instead what we as a club has wanted for so long is "the win" and now its got to the stage with all the turmoil at the board etc that the "safe" option is to play experienced, un-exciting players who are more likely to grind out a win.

We have gone through CEO's and boardroom staff like EPL clubs go through managers.

to opt for "stability" on the pitch when there is so much risk elsewhere has been written on the wall since half way through our 3rd division romp..

hate to play devils advocate - and I do think releasing guys like telfer is the wrong way - but if we were not so demanding in everything (and I think we are right to be) more youngsters would get game time.

Instead what we as a club has wanted for so long is "the win" and now its got to the stage with all the turmoil at the board etc that the "safe" option is to play experienced, un-exciting players who are more likely to grind out a win.

We have gone through CEO's and boardroom staff like EPL clubs go through managers.

to opt for "stability" on the pitch when there is so much risk elsewhere has been written on the wall since half way through our 3rd division romp..

It might be the case but grinding out these results has been partly due to the big punt to Daly tactics when playing Daly as a lone striker. The defending corners with every player back for it has seen the opposition retain possession even if we clear it and kept us under pressure.

Maybe if we tried to play football we would see MacLeod played in the middle rather than stuck out wide. Maybe MacLeod could be replaced by Crawford in this case and we could see Crawford for once played in his preferred position. Maybe the likes of Telfer could be brought on for the last 20 minutes rather than bringing the likes of Faure on to replace a midfielder. Maybe if all the yougsters got a 20 minute slot regularly they would think they had a chance at Ibrox.

If I was Charlie Telfer and I thought I was good enough I would probably leave Rangers rather than wasting away and being released with no chance of making it at 23. Its only goalkeepers who have came into our first team after they are in their 20's. I cant think of a modern day outfield player to have made it with us after this age.