What was your first Rangers game & how old were you?

For me, I made it to 2 cup finals before ever going to Ibrox- 1981 Scottish Cup Final and replay. With my footballing hero Mr Cooper turning on the style in the replay.

First game at Ibrox on 15th August 1981 v Raith Rovers. We won 8-1.

Being 7 at the time I thought all games might be like that...

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just recently past the 50th anniversary of my first game when we beat Dundee Utd 2-0 at Ibrox (4/4/64) with Ralph Brand and George McLean the scorers. Was 6yrs old at the time and it was like a family get-together with my dad, granda and uncles who would usually meet up at the same place in the Enclosure every home game.

Never got to my second game until nearly 18 months later. Often thought the reason for this was that maybe they thought I was too young to stay interested for full game (not the case as I lapped the entire occasion up). However, more likely having a 6yr old tagging along was considered a bit of a bind when they wanted a post-match pint.

Not quite sure but my first home game memory was being in the east enclosure and there was some kind of crush and ended up on the trackside beside big jock wallace (who wasn't best chuffed I seem to recall). Vivid flashbacks of that day on my late da's shoulders, mind the old toilets near the turnstiles and the excitement at catching a glimpse of the players warming up under the main stand at half time. Vivid stuff. First away trip I remember was at Aberdeen, got beat 3-0, got separated fae my old boy during the game cause of a fight between the fans up near the toilets when a separation gate was kicked in. Met up soon after with the help of a steward. Cunt of journey home though as I fell on the bus cause the men had used a chair as a card table across the seats and I never realised and sat down and scraped my back, dohhhh. Those where the days. I look forward to asking my daughter when she's older about her memories of her first match. Love the gers!

Ashamed to say I'm not sure when it was or what year. Probably 1968 or 9 , I think.

Pestered my dad to take me and eventually went to a midweek game v Hearts.

Was looking forward to seeing my heroes - John Greig , Colin Stein , Willie Henderson , Willie Johnston. Sadly John Greig was injured and Alfie Conn played. Pretty sure it was his debut. Anyway , we won 3-2. We were 3-0 up at one point and Hearts pulled it back to 3-2.

Strangely , I don't remember any goals , but do remember Peter McCloy , who hadn't long signed , pulling off a full length save near the end.

Great topic , by the way .

Ashamed to say I'm not sure when it was or what year. Probably 1968 or 9 , I think.

Pestered my dad to take me and eventually went to a midweek game v Hearts.

Was looking forward to seeing my heroes - John Greig , Colin Stein , Willie Henderson , Willie Johnston. Sadly John Greig was injured and Alfie Conn played. Pretty sure it was his debut. Anyway , we won 3-2. We were 3-0 up at one point and Hearts pulled it back to 3-2.

Strangely , I don't remember any goals , but do remember Peter McCloy , who hadn't long signed , pulling off a full length save near the end.

Great topic , by the way .

Agreed on the topic, memories we'll always cherish

Was told it was a game early seventies where colin stein got sent off , apoarently i burst out crying ,

I started crying when Alan Stubbs equalised late on in an old firm game. Sure it was 1-1. Da told me to grow a pair.

2002 friendly against AC Milan,I would have been 11.Can still remember it today as it was pishing down all day and me and my Dad were sitting in the Govan Front.Best part about that day and still one of the things I cherish when I go to Ibrox is walking up the stairs past all the food kiosks and the whole stadium just opens up to you,a complete sea of red white and blue.Back then I was sitting with a huge cheeser on my face,not because I was finally at a game,it was that I knew at that moment that this is where I belong.

Fast forward ten years to the first home game after that torrid summer we had,East Fife in the league cup,I decided to take my little brother to his first game.He was only 10 years old at the time and he too,like me was stunned when I seen Ibrox in the flesh for the first time.He sat and watched the game with the same smile as I did.

The Scottish Cup Final 1982, The Rangers versus The Sheep wee John McDonald scored first, big Eck scored in second half to take it to extra time, before losing another 3, I was 13 at the time, then my first Ibrox euoropean game was against Colgne I think 84/85 age 15ish :thumbup:

ah happy days :7325:

Rangers Vs St Etienne.

Standing on The Derry End with my Dad, only 4 years old wondering why all of these grown up men were getting so upset.

I found out why they were getting so upset over the next few years as I followed us around the country getting battered from pillar to post until Big Tel headed home the winner at Pittodrie.

Joy unconfined, still my happiest memory as a Bluenose, not even surpassed by the delirium of Helicopter Sunday.