Sol Campbell

My Sporting Life - the Sol Campbell edition is being re-aired tonight.

"If I wasn't black I would have captained England..." You did.

"Well, I would have captained them more."

Then we learn he is the only England player to play in six consecutive tournaments. I suppose that is slavery, Sol?

What is it with this guy? He has led a privileged life playing the sport we all love.

He constantly bleats about racism - granted, in the 80s and 90s (and even now with some knuckledraggers), it was pretty poisonous... But he also says he never supported a team growing up and I quote:

"I started supporting Man United but not because they were Man United, just because they had more black players in the team."

What kind of reason is that for supporting a team? What would be said if that statement was reversed? Or am I missing something...?

Campbell and Ferdinand, two of the most over rated players I've seen in English football. Both seem to be pushing for some sort of position in the FA so that they keep the cash rolling in. I'd probably have more time for their views if they had come out with them at the height of their careers, not the end.

Anyone who thinks Campbell supporting Man Utd because of the higher number of black players they had is racist is fucking stupid!

its not racist in the slightest, its a thought process based on simple logic, growing up in East London in the 70s and 80s its more than likely that Sol if not personally experienced would certainly have witnessed a lot of racism, when you look at the lack of black players playing in the top flight in this period its pretty reasonable to believe that as a young black aspiring footballer Campbell would be more drawn to a team (s) who has a higher number of black players, for anyone to try and label this racist in itself shows them up for having very little knowledge in the subject they're actually discussing.

Sol Campbell comes out with some bullshit from time to time and does sugfer from the poor me's but to try and use basic logic as a stick to beat him with is either ignorant, idiotic or plain naive

Anyone who thinks Campbell supporting Man Utd because of the higher number of black players they had is racist is fucking stupid!

its not racist in the slightest, its a thought process based on simple logic, growing up in East London in the 70s and 80s its more than likely that Sol if not personally experienced would certainly have witnessed a lot of racism, when you look at the lack of black players playing in the top flight in this period its pretty reasonable to believe that as a young black aspiring footballer Campbell would be more drawn to a team (s) who has a higher number of black players, for anyone to try and label this racist in itself shows them up for having very little knowledge in the subject they're actually discussing.

Sol Campbell comes out with some bullshit from time to time and does sugfer from the poor me's but to try and use basic logic as a stick to beat him with is either ignorant, idiotic or plain naive

It's racist, just like supporting a team because they have all white players is. Perhaps it's understandable why he felt that way, but it's still racist.