Kit Man

Murtaugh

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mate I think you will find he doesnt actually do the laundry. He is responsible for the logistics of it all and making sure the players have what they require. Do we really need a kitman and an assistant?You could quite easily make one position/person whatever way you want to put it,redundant.

Do the club require someone to manage the kit? You will find the answer is YES and as such, you cannot just make a man redundant because he has a nice wee contract.

Now that you have changed your thought process and understand that you can merge two positions in to one and have two re-apply for the role, you are coming back on to the right track.

However, the flaw with the two positions in to one is that it would be difficult to make Jimmy redundant if you offered him the new role at a small fraction of his previous salary - again the courts would look at the previous combined salary of two positions, the added responsibility for one doing both and if they felt the salary cut was unjust, rule in Jimmy's favour - in my opinion.

is this the level we are stooping too.The guy is on too much money,but trying to shame and blacken the name of people who have been loyal to the club for years is utterly shameful,if we need to get these people off the wage bill,at least do it with a bit of class,leaking peoples wages to shame them to the support is shameful,not the Rangers way,but that's the problem ,none of these imposters running the club have a fuckin clue what the Rangers way is.

I am sure you're equally outraged by naming Rangers Fans on the web and posting pictures of homes.

Do the club require someone to manage the kit? You will find the answer is YES and as such, you cannot just make a man redundant because he has a nice wee contract.

Now that you have changed your thought process and understand that you can merge two positions in to one and have two re-apply for the role, you are coming back on to the right track.

However, the flaw with the two positions in to one is that it would be difficult to make Jimmy redundant if you offered him the new role at a small fraction of his previous salary - again the courts would look at the previous combined salary of two positions, the added responsibility for one doing both and if they felt the salary cut was unjust, rule in Jimmy's favour - in my opinion.

Companies do this sort of thing all the time and the employee has no recourse. I found this from 2008:

I spoke to my mate who is in pro football and he told me this.

The kit man at a club like norwich is responsible for all the kit of full time players and staff at the club (first, reserve, youth)

He has to get all the kit ready and to the venue

he looks after players personal kit if they so desire (boots, extra kit) boots are put in a skip by youth players to take to games, some players do it themselves.

I would imagine he has no assistant but maybe a laundry lady, this means if the first team are away tuesday night and the reserves are training or playing the next day the kitman has to be there regardless of what time he got in to bed the previous night.

By all accounts it is a very demanding job that needs experience and knowledge.

salary 25-30k

The obvious answer would be to detach the first team Kit Manager role from the rest. Have one with first team responsibility and, one and an assistant with the rest. As for salary, any tribunal would look at the going rates for the new roles and would make a decision on that basis.

Sounds like Jimmy is a pal. You have an opinion and I have mine. Mine is based on some facts of legally making people redundant after they were offered the choice of taking pay cuts to save their jobs.

Anyway it doesnt change the fact that the Rangers kitman is on a huge amount of money for doing not very much. I wont mention the fact that its a bit odd that his son is found to be the assistant and is on 60K. I wonder if he was the most qualified person interviewed for the position?

This ain't rocket science you take a couple of hard ass auditors, an accountant as much coffee as they can drink a list of employees at ibrox, and a pen?

You crunch the numbers people will always accept cuts before redundancies and its fairer than sending people home to family's with a final pay packet!

As has been said previous you honour the contracts that are in place as legally it's the only option, then as those terms end, those fortunate to be on such contracts are hauled in presented with a new contract/salary, with two boxes Yes, No, please Tick thankyou!

Just on a footnote to this, why aren't our lot washing their own kits, never did me any harm through all the years I played fitba?

Such luxuries should be reserved for professionals only really, we're just a Sunday outfit!

Companies do this sort of thing all the time and the employee has no recourse. I found this from 2008:

I spoke to my mate who is in pro football and he told me this.

The kit man at a club like norwich is responsible for all the kit of full time players and staff at the club (first, reserve, youth)

He has to get all the kit ready and to the venue

he looks after players personal kit if they so desire (boots, extra kit) boots are put in a skip by youth players to take to games, some players do it themselves.

I would imagine he has no assistant but maybe a laundry lady, this means if the first team are away tuesday night and the reserves are training or playing the next day the kitman has to be there regardless of what time he got in to bed the previous night.

By all accounts it is a very demanding job that needs experience and knowledge.

salary 25-30k

The obvious answer would be to detach the first team Kit Manager role from the rest. Have one with first team responsibility and, one and an assistant with the rest. As for salary, any tribunal would look at the going rates for the new roles and would make a decision on that basis.

I think the court would have looked at the going rate had Charles Green did this 6 months after the TUPE. However, the fact that these employers have been paying the current rate since TUPE, it would not go well in a tribunal, in my opinion.

I think the court would have looked at the going rate had Charles Green did this 6 months after the TUPE. However, the fact that these employers have been paying the current rate since TUPE, it would not go well in a tribunal, in my opinion.

A reorganisation is long overdue. I think your opinion is misguided, having been involved in restructuring as a union rep the tribunal is unlikely to be able to find an issue with reorganisation, especially if it is creating jobs and, with the necessity within the organisation to reduce costs.

Sounds like Jimmy is a pal. You have an opinion and I have mine. Mine is based on some facts of legally making people redundant after they were offered the choice of taking pay cuts to save their jobs.

Anyway it doesnt change the fact that the Rangers kitman is on a huge amount of money for doing not very much. I wont mention the fact that its a bit odd that his son is found to be the assistant and is on 60K. I wonder if he was the most qualified person interviewed for the position?

He ain't a pal of mine but he is certainly Ally's pal.

You CANNOT make someone redundant because they refuse a pay cut - you are not making sense. To reduce the wage, you offer the pay cut and if they refuse you would need to make the role redundant. Once that happens, you have to be very careful on how you bring someone else in to a similar role on the reduced salary.

The easiest way is to place both Jimmy and his son on notice of being at risk of redundancy. You then ask them both to apply for a merged position and one will be offered the position at the reduced salary - if they accept, they take the role, if they refuse, they walk.

A reorganisation is long overdue. I think your opinion is misguided, having been involved in restructuring as a union rep the tribunal is unlikely to be able to find an issue with reorganisation, especially if it is creating jobs and, with the necessity within the organisation to reduce costs.

So the reorganisation is to create jobs? You seriously think the courts would agree with that when the previous salary for two positions was £190k and now the club are offering £30k for one?

So the reorganisation is to create jobs? You seriously think the courts would agree with that when the previous salary for two positions was £190k and now the club are offering £30k for one?

You mean the tribunal, why do you keep going on about 'the courts'. This is for an employment tribunal and not a court. You are aware that splitting responsibilities into 2 will create a job. The worth of those jobs would be entirely separate from what the incumbent of the redundant role was earning.

The downgrading of jobs goes on quite regularly, do you have any experience, on either side, of this sort of process?

You mean the tribunal, why do you keep going on about 'the courts'. This is for an employment tribunal and not a court. You are aware that splitting responsibilities into 2 will create a job. The worth of those jobs would be entirely separate from what the incumbent of the redundant role was earning.

The downgrading of jobs goes on quite regularly, do you have any experience, on either side, of this sort of process?

I use the term court because everyone knows what it is and therefore widespread understanding. The process is exactly the same, as I am sure you are aware.

So now you are talking about taking two jobs and splitting between more jobs? That is a complete tangent to the previous mentioned taking two jobs and merging in to one!

I have not managed these scenario's in the past but have been around it.