The Murray Era - Player Memories

Bjorklund

Like my username would suggest I am quite a big fan of Jocky Bjorkland who I felt was a really rock solid defender.

Was just wondering who the other non-fashionable fans favourites from the 90s and early part of this century.

Some of my other favourite players were:

Davie Robertson

Alan McLaren (no idea why I just liked him)

Kanchelskis

Erik Bo Anderson (again not sure why looking back)

Billy Dodds

Yup, for me it is Mikhailichenko and Huistra.

Huistra was so underrated for me.

Another I've mentioned before is Seb Rozental. May seem like a mental one considering what happened but I followed his career before he came to us and I couldn't believe we had managed to bring him to Ibrox. He was an unreal striker. Absolutely gutting what happened.

If you consider him, Mols, Negri and a few others, what happened to them, we've had some fucking unreal bad luck with quality front men. Mols was still a brilliant player for us before and after, however, leaves you wondering what might have been.

Yeah, I liked watching Huistra and Mikailichenko when they were on a game. The Laudrup and David Robertson partnership on the left flank was great to watch at times.. The vision of Laudrup picking out the bombing, overlapping of Robertson was quality..Which just reminded me of that goal that was chopped off in the 3-3 derby at Ibrox. NEVER OFFSIDE.

Huistra is the one for me too. You never hear him talked about, but he scored and set up some important goals and was here for a long time, about 5 years, I think.

Laudrup's arrival was really the end for him.

My greatest memories of him were setting up a goal v the mhanks for Durrant and the goal away to Club Brugge in the nearly season in the Champions League.

Also I know it's not 90s, but just before... honorable mention for Mel Sterland. Was only here for half a season but scored some important goals and made a good wee contribution to winning the league that season (1989 I think).

Yeah, I liked watching Huistra and Mikailichenko when they were on a game. The Laudrup and David Robertson partnership on the left flank was great to watch at times.. The vision of Laudrup picking out the bombing, overlapping of Robertson was quality..Which just reminded me of that goal that was chopped off in the 3-3 derby at Ibrox. NEVER OFFSIDE.

Then Laudrup scored again & the scoreboard flashed up 'It's 1-1 now!'.

Like my username would suggest I am quite a big fan of Jocky Bjorkland who I felt was a really rock solid defender.

Was just wondering who the other non-fashionable fans favourites from the 90s and early part of this century.

Davie Robertson

Kanchelskis

Billy Dodds

The big man had never scored a goal until he left Rangers. Only ended up with 1, when at Valencia IIRC.

Jonas Thern was another who if not for horrendous injury would have been a stand out Imho, at that time I used to watch the Itallian football on c4 and he was excellent in a very good Roma side. So when Walter bagged him I thought it would prove to be genius, sadly fate would rob Rangers of such an outstanding play maker :-)

Ps why cant I get the emicons anymore in the reply box?

Jonas Thern was another who if not for horrendous injury would have been a stand out Imho, at that time I used to watch the Itallian football on c4 and he was excellent in a very good Roma side. So when Walter bagged him I thought it would prove to be genius, sadly fate would rob Rangers of such an outstanding play maker :-)

Ps why cant I get the emicons anymore in the reply box?

flick the switch top left in the reply box.

flick the switch top left in the reply box.

unfortunately still not available, I have the reply box and the 3 switches on the top corner but instead of having the reply box features of changing fonts, uploading pics or any of the desktop features including the emicons icon button above this reply box I have nothing. Thanks anyway CN :-)

Davie Robertson

Kanchelskis

Billy Dodds

I wouldn't have thought that Davie Robertson or Alan McLaren were non-fashionable fans favourites. DR was probably the best left back I've seen at the club , and I include Numan in that , ( though it's close ) and Alan McLaren could well have been the next Rangers and Scotland captain had it not been for that injury.

My own ones would be Drinkell , who had a good season before Johnson came , and Tugay who I thought never got the game time he deserved.

Mikhailichenko was 1 of my favorites, a cracking player for us who but his better days before he came to us, when I was younger I liked the USSR team he was in they had some really top drawer players and Mikhailichenko was 1 of them, in his day he was a world class player and 1 of the best midfielders around.

Davie Robertson

Kanchelskis

Billy Dodds

Sorry but didn't think Bjorklund was very good.

I thought Davie Robertson was excellent and vastly underrated.

McLaren wasn't my cup of tea either, far too slow and immobile.

Kanchelskis was past his best but still pretty good although we paid far too much for him.

Bo Andersen was reasonably good.

Macpherson, Mikhailichenko, Huistra, Van Vossen(that miss), Petric.

Never rated Macpherson.

Miko was an excellent player but lazy. Not helped by Smith playing him as a left winger!!

Huistra was a very good player and a bargain buy for a change.

Van Vossen was not a bad player but his miss at the San Giro was his downfall in fans' opinions. We won the game anyway so it didn't matter in the end. Scored a peach at Killie from a ridiculous angle.

Petric was as hard a defender as I've seen. I rated him.