Ally Has Gone

djbroxybear

he knocked us back at least once before he joined us :lol:[/quote

I believe at the time he signed for Sunderland he was told that he wouldn't be guaranteed a first team spot at Ibrox, so decided to prove himself to someone who would give him that opportunity, after proving himself in England when he did get the opportunity to come to The Rangers he didn't hesitate.

You have to remember he was still young and would have been getting conflicting advice at this time, but my point was that when he did sign for us you could see what it meant to him, remember also that Souness tried to get rid of him, but his strength of character proved even to Souness that this guy loved The Rangers.

He joined Sunderland in 1981-as someone who watched us then he would have got a game no problem.In fact, Bob McPhail would have got a game then!

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he knocked us back at least once before he joined us :lol:

I believe at the time he signed for Sunderland he was told that he wouldn't be guaranteed a first team spot at Ibrox, so decided to prove himself to someone who would give him that opportunity, after proving himself in England when he did get the opportunity to come to The Rangers he didn't hesitate.

You have to remember he was still young and would have been getting conflicting advice at this time, but my point was that when he did sign for us you could see what it meant to him, remember also that Souness tried to get rid of him, but his strength of character proved even to Souness that this guy loved The Rangers.

if him and his da grew up supporting us, what bad advice could have stopped him joining his boyhood heroes at a time where we were fucking stinking bad on the park

why would he move to a club down south instead of a club an hours drive away from everyone he knows

basically he chased the £ signs

Helped to embelish a trophey cabinet, envied throughout the world. I for one am glad he was part of our fantastic club, will always be a hero in my eyes.

Money could not buy the joy I felt when Ally scored his hat trick in the league cup final against the tims in 1983, you guys carry on but count me out in hating the all time leading goal scorer in our clubs history

He failed as manager but he has earned my blue tinted glasses

Ally has done the right thing IMO.

He is a legend as a player.

The Rangers manager job was too big for him as a rookie manager though. We can all think of a hundered examples to prove that point. He tried and failed in the third season. Should have thrown the town in earlier, but it is hard to throw your dreams away.

He always had our best interests at heart IMO. His failings as a manager were not due to a lack of love for Rangers, they were due to a lack of ability.

he knocked us back at least once before he joined us :lol:[/quote

"Proving himself in England" Please supply his excessive scoring with Blunderland. He was lucky to get offered a contract at Ibrox.

if him and his da grew up supporting us, what bad advice could have stopped him joining his boyhood heroes at a time where we were fucking stinking bad on the park

why would he move to a club down south instead of a club an hours drive away from everyone he knows

basically he chased the £ signs[/quote

What part of not being guaranteed a first team spot are you not understanding?, yes we were pish poor but he was still not being guaranteed a first team slot, what is so wrong with wanting first team action when you are a kid.

What part of not being guaranteed a first team spot are you not understanding?, yes we were pish poor but he was still not being guaranteed a first team slot, what is so wrong with wanting first team action when you are a kid.

so he was at sunderland for 2 years, 8 goals in 53 appearances

tell me what part of that record guaranteed him a start when he chose to join rangers

tell me what part of that record guaranteed him a start when he chose to join rangers

I never said it was anything about his record at Sunderland guaranteeing him a first team slot at Ibrox, what I said was before he signed for Sunderland he wasn't guaranteed a first team spot at Ibrox, bit of a difference I'm sure you must agree.

Anyway we are getting off topic here.

Still picking up a wage, confirmed by the Murray interview :anguish:

What's the quote? Cheers mate

Watched the video of his interview, must of missed it and can't be arsed watching it again.

basically he chased the £ signs

My dad told me repeatedly growing up, if I had the chance to become a professional footballer with celtic or not at all then he'd encourage that. I never agreed with him, but he is as staunch as anyone about Rangers FC.

This argument is stupid, you have plenty of ammo to criticise and condemn McCoist without resorting to such ludicrous pettiness.

Fs Jim. What point are you trying to make?

Wee tangent, is there any other club record goalscorer who is as vilified? I can't think of anyone close.

What's the quote? Cheers mate

Watched the video of his interview, must of missed it and can't be arsed watching it again.

My dad told me repeatedly growing up, if I had the chance to become a professional footballer with celtic or not at all then he'd encourage that. I never agreed with him, but he is as staunch as anyone about Rangers FC.

This argument is stupid, you have plenty of ammo to criticise and condemn McCoist without resorting to such ludicrous pettiness.

Fs Jim. What point are you trying to make?

Wee tangent, is there any other club record goalscorer who is as vilified? I can't think of anyone close.

He said they'd not been in touch with him about it so stands to reason he'll still be getting paid.

He said they'd not been in touch with him about it so stands to reason he'll still be getting paid.

Fair enough, if we're believing PM now... ;)

If its shown he has been using and abusing us financially my disappointment in him will be massive. However having grown up watching this man give his everything for us. Score title winning, cup final winning, champions league goals for us I can never bring myself to hate him. There's still a lot to come out in the wash I think.

It's been a two way street. We have been good for him, and him to us. I can't ignore that.

Ask any Sunderland fan who watched them back then and IIRC they didn't want to see him leave as they could see his potential

What a scorching career. In 2 years, he scored 8 goals in 53 or 54 appearances .Legend At Sunderland I think NOT. I do not normally hear fans cheering for Potential l!!

Fair enough, if we're believing PM now... ;)

If its shown he has been using and abusing us financially my disappointment in him will be massive. However having grown up watching this man give his everything for us. Score title winning, cup final winning, champions league goals for us I can never bring myself to hate him. There's still a lot to come out in the wash I think.

It's been a two way street. We have been good for him, and him to us. I can't ignore that.

Do you think it's right for him to be continually sitting at home picking up a very generous wage from us? Even if you gave any merit to the excuse that he shouldn't help out the 'spivs' by waving a pay-off, that's not been an issue for three weeks now. And while it's what he's contractually entitled to is it really wrong to expect a decent decision from someone with so much history at the club? Unless he's managed his finances very badly then I can't see there being a situation where McCoist actually needs the money either, a long playing career, years working on the TV and the money he's already earned from 8 years at us as a manager and an assistant.

It's a big pity, I doubt anyone seriously takes pleasure in thinking like this but I see no possible explanation other than greed.

What a scorching career. In 2 years, he scored 8 goals in 53 or 54 appearances .Legend At Sunderland I think NOT. I do not normally hear fans cheering for Potential l!!

For christ's sake, now you're trying to say that I said he was a legend at Sunderland, where did I say that? I didn't even infer that, what I did infer was that Sunderland supporters at that time could see he had potential and fortunately so did we, and I'm only guessing here before you misquote me again, but I imagine that he was told he would be given his chance if he signed for us.

Once again we are getting of topic here, and if you look back at my original comment I'm very disillusioned with Ally right now.

Dodgy commentator aye...

Before my time tbh, was he as hated?

Gets slated for being seen as an 'Uncle Tom' on Radio Snide & failing to stick up for the club.

In fairness, he's probably not copping as much flak as Ally, as he doesn't continue to draw a wage from the club, but an example of how our greats can plunge from hero to zero.

But, but, but..... He'll pay it all back, once DK gets in.

The forum sages said so.

Clutching at straws but maybe he needs lambias and leech gone before he can come out and say what he wants to say! I'm hoping it's something like this anyway. :(

It's breaking my heart the amount of hatred people feel for him but I can't help thinking how strange it is that we've heard absolutely nothing

Clutching at straws but maybe he needs lambias and leech gone before he can come out Nd say what he wants to say! I'm hoping it's something like this anyway. :(

It's breaking my heart the amount of hatred people feel for him but I can't help thinking how strange it is that we've heard absolutely nothing

So he takes the money & still gets to 'come out and say what he wants to say'?

Only one person getting the better end of this deal, eh?

It might be breaking your heart, but if it's all so tightly written that he continues to be rewarded for a spectacular failure, AND gets to dish the dirt on others, it isn't hard to understand why folk aren't very well disposed towards him.

So he takes the money & still gets to 'come out and say what he wants to say'?

Only one person getting the better end of this deal, eh?

It might be breaking your heart, but if it's all so tightly written that he continues to be rewarded for a spectacular failure, AND gets to dish the dirt on others, it isn't hard to understand why folk aren't very well disposed towards him.

:( I know! Like I said clutching at straws.

I grew up watching Ally. I had my bedroom wall plastered in his pictures when I was a teenager! I want to believe there's more than meets the eye here.

Time will tell, he can't keep this silence forever.