Cricket

1 hour ago, kplfishtank said:

I had a feeling you would be all over this 😂😂. Kohli going home after this test probably means a whitewash for India. Hopefully some good games to watch. My mates going to Melbourne to see the Boxing Day game. 

how can any test team never mind a quality side like india be all out for 36

2 hours ago, kplfishtank said:

I had a feeling you would be all over this 😂😂. Kohli going home after this test probably means a whitewash for India. Hopefully some good games to watch. My mates going to Melbourne to see the Boxing Day game. 

My mate has been getting rinsed all morning and afternoon so far 😂

10 hours ago, billscott said:

how can any test team never mind a quality side like india be all out for 36

It can happen. England getting bowled out for 55 against New Zealand a couple of years ago for example. However that Indian batting collapse was pretty extraordinary. Given it was 1955 the last time something that bad happened, it's fair to say you might never see that again.

Australia bowled really well and the pitch was giving some movement. To be honest Hazlewood and Cummins bowled outstandingly well against a batting line up that crumpled. The score reflects genuine top quality bowling as much as poor quality batting - that spell was as good you'll ever see. 

Australia are turning into an excellent side. Lack a few players, but the bowling attack is fantastic and Smith and Labuschagne are top class too.

On 21/12/2020 at 09:28, Creampuff said:

If Pucovski and Green transition those First Class numbers to Test Cricket then Australia will be very, very difficult to beat. 

Arguably they will still lack a real quality WK, but other than that they’d be pretty much perfect.

Probably a bit harsh on Paine, I’d say he’s pretty solid. Although at 36, he’s not got long left in test cricket...

On 22/12/2020 at 20:40, plymouthranger said:

Probably a bit harsh on Paine, I’d say he’s pretty solid. Although at 36, he’s not got long left in test cricket...

He probably is a weak link though.

Don't get me wrong, he was asked to do a job, and he done it - but cannot help feel the Aussies will be better without him

The bowling in the Australia v India series has been good - but it is showing the lack of test activity from the batting. 

Nobody has really looked comfortable so far, and despite pretty fair pitches, the ball is dominating the bat. Even when the batsmen get in, they aren't going anywhere quickly - slow scoring. 

14 minutes ago, Badger said:

Aussies, and indeed the Indians, just haven't been at it with the bat (Rahane aside). I'd assume it is just test rustiness.

Yeah I agree. 

I think partly it’s because batsmen (generally) don’t get away with many mistakes, whereas bowlers in Test matches often get away with the odd bad delivery (at worst it’s six runs, but in Test Cricket even that’s unlikely). So the sloppiness all-round will always tilt towards low scoring.

8 minutes ago, Creampuff said:

Yeah I agree. 

I think partly it’s because batsmen (generally) don’t get away with many mistakes, whereas bowlers in Test matches often get away with the odd bad delivery (at worst it’s six runs, but in Test Cricket even that’s unlikely). So the sloppiness all-round will always tilt towards low scoring.

I also think it's easier to switch between formats as a bowler. Guys have had plenty T20 under there belts so relatively sharp.

However some (very) top quality batsmen have looked really sloppy so far in the 2 tests, where as bowling been good with spells wheres is been outstanding.

1 minute ago, Badger said:

I also think it's easier to switch between formats as a bowler. Guys have had plenty T20 under there belts so relatively sharp.

However some (very) top quality batsmen have looked really sloppy so far in the 2 tests, where as bowling been good with spells wheres is been outstanding.

Makes sense given that the longer formats are the ones really requiring intense discipline and focus for hours (and sometimes days) of leaves and gentle prods. 

T20 is a bit more “see ball hit ball”.

Incredible batting spell there from the Black Caps.

60 runs in 5 overs prior to the declaration would be impressive in T20 never mind a test match.

Kyle Jamieson looks like a bowler who will prove very effective despite not being fast, accurate, or moving the ball much. However he is an absolute giant of a man who's long arms and height see him bowl lengths where the bounce seems to cause batsmen real issues. If he can add a bit of pace and movement he is going to be develop into a problem for a lot batsmen.

4 hours ago, Badger said:

Incredible batting spell there from the Black Caps.

60 runs in 5 overs prior to the declaration would be impressive in T20 never mind a test match.

Kyle Jamieson looks like a bowler who will prove very effective despite not being fast, accurate, or moving the ball much. However he is an absolute giant of a man who's long arms and height see him bowl lengths where the bounce seems to cause batsmen real issues. If he can add a bit of pace and movement he is going to be develop into a problem for a lot batsmen.

I mean, totally fair play to the Kiwis, but honestly come on tae fuck Pakistan. Multiple no-balls and dropped catches against guys like Williamson and Nicholls (in NZ) is just a massive no-no. 

Never going to win a test with that kind of pish. Pile of shite and tbh without Babar in that middle order, the batting is too lightweight. 

Shan Masood continues to fail opening the batting, he'll be getting punted soon.

India at one stage giving singles to Labuschagne to get Smith on-strike against Ashwin.

I know Ashwin has gotten Smith a few times in this series, but is giving away runs to get arguably the modern game’s best Test batsman on-strike really a sensible plan?

I remember England doing it to get Michael Clarke on strike to massive backfiring effect in the Ashes once too. Think Broad was the bowler then and there was a working theory that Clarke couldn’t handle his short stuff.

I think Smith's struggles against Ashwin were only temporary, and probably down to a lack of test cricket more than Ashwin being his bogey man.

India without Kohli in there have their top order go nowhere fast once Rohit Sharma has gone. Rahane can get the scoring moving but it usually cautious. Pujara, great test player he is, goes nowhere fast. He stood at the crease for 200 odd balls and only made 50.

2 hours ago, Badger said:

I think Smith's struggles against Ashwin were only temporary, and probably down to a lack of test cricket more than Ashwin being his bogey man.

India without Kohli in there have their top order go nowhere fast once Rohit Sharma has gone. Rahane can get the scoring moving but it usually cautious. Pujara, great test player he is, goes nowhere fast. He stood at the crease for 200 odd balls and only made 50.

Pujara being so slow puts extra pressure on the guy at the other end to keep the score ticking over.