Murdoch - Sink Or Swim

Needs to do a bit of speed work.

(Older Bears will recall the days when the team photo included 'sprint coach' - was it Stan Anderson, or something like?).

If he can do that, he has all the attributes to make it, for me.

Seems a decent lad as well (if only because I haven't heard anything negative about him).

I thought he was held back last year, he was played as a dm but I think he would be much better being played as a box to box midfielder. If we are going to play 3 in the centre I would allow him to get forward a bit more whilst harrassing people on the ball, so long as we have a solid dm covering him.

Murdoch has the capability off being a great. Clever little player. Needs the correct guidance and the right player beside him to thrive.will dictate games if no numptys are beside him. The need for a no nonsense general in the middle park for then to give Murdoch the freedom.

Murdoch has the capability off being a great. Clever little player. Needs the correct guidance and the right player beside him to thrive.will dictate games if no numptys are beside him. The need for a no nonsense general in the middle park for then to give Murdoch the freedom.

Good all round player with exceptional talent but, and a big but, last season his speed over 20-40 metres was poor. Over the first 5 metres he is ok and a reason as to why he is playing with us. Should expect to stay with us, this season and in perhaps the foreseeable future, he needs to sort this speed issue out.

Thought he was getting out-muscled in some of his early games but he's maybe still to fill out a bit and will get more experienced in handling the physical side of games at senior level. At least he was getting stuck in and not shirking any tackles, more than could be said for certain players beside him. I think he has good awareness and plays passes which may be straightforward but effective, he reminds me a wee bit of Kevin Thomson in that sense.

Good all round player with exceptional talent but, and a big but, last season his speed over 20-40 metres was poor. Over the first 5 metres he is ok and a reason as to why he is playing with us. Should expect to stay with us, this season and in perhaps the foreseeable future, he needs to sort this speed issue out.

Speed over 20-40 metres isn't a necessity for a footballer (especially in his position) if he is a decent passer of a ball. Speed over 5-10 metres is vital, so if he can sharpen that up he will be fine.

I'm sure our new background staff will sort his speed out. :pipe:

I think this boy has the class to flourish under Warburton & Weir. I feel he played safe under the old regime at times but I cannot see anything other than wee Andy doing the business this season.

Played safe? He was slated in by smc to play a specific role which he did very well. Onwards and upwards for the wee man

and

Speed over 20-40 metres isn't a necessity for a footballer (especially in his position) if he is a decent passer of a ball. Speed over 5-10 metres is vital, so if he can sharpen that up he will be fine.

I'm sure our new background staff will sort his speed out. :pipe:

May not be a necessity but when he went forward to Hibs box and lost it, during the play offs, Allan showed him to be a snail as he sped away. Never seen this so apparent from a first team rangers player in a good while.

May not be a necessity but when he went forward to Hibs box and lost it, during the play offs, Allan showed him to be a snail as he sped away. Never seen this so apparent from a first team rangers player in a good while.

That is one of the dangers of when a midfielder loses the ball, but it is also a consequence of the team not being set up properly, whether by mismanagement of the tactics or by the manager simply not having the players on the park to work as a unit (or both)

There is no denying Murdoch hasn't got the speed to get back chasing, but the manager has to structure his tactics to ensure he's covered if he loses the ball in that position.

A box to box midfielder has to have a big engine and at the moment Murdoch hasn't got that, but he is only 20 yrs old and he can improve with the correct training (which to be frank, I don't think he's had that recently) If he wants to be in that engine room of Warburton's team, he's going to have to work hard this season.

I think he is a bang average player! Really don't think he will cut the mustard at the top level. He was found wanting against motherwell and a few other games as well. He will be playing for Dumbarton or raith rovers in 2 years.

I honestly think that's completely ridiculous, he is comfortable on the ball, can pick a pass and doesn't mind getting stuck in, he's obviously going to fill out a bit and become stronger and for me he has all the attributes to become a decent midfielder

Has some good attributes he's tenacious, determined and can sometimes spot a pass but not a lot of people picked up on his bad attributes. He lost the ball a lot of the time and got caught in possession too often.

This will be a big year for him, he looked better because there alternative was Ian black but in a competitive midfield if he can step up then he can be a good player

I think he is a bang average player! Really don't think he will cut the mustard at the top level. He was found wanting against motherwell and a few other games as well. He will be playing for Dumbarton or raith rovers in 2 years.

A young Rino Gattuso was found wanting in a few games that he played for us as well. What ever happened to him?

Murdoch may or may not end up being a regular at Ibrox, it's too early to say. However, it may help if our fans could support and have a bit of faith in him.

A young Rino Gattuso was found wanting in a few games that he played for us as well. What ever happened to him?

Murdoch may or may not end up being a regular at Ibrox, it's too early to say. However, it may help if our fans could support and have a bit of faith in him.

We'll need to get used to watching youth, and the inconsistency that goes along with them, rather than be so quick to write off young players.

The club are changing their outlook, the fans need to keep up.