Boughera Says We Knocked Him Back This Summer

Headline doesn't quite fit article but here it is

FORMER Rangers star Madjid Bougherra has revealed he offered to return to Ibrox this summer to end his playing career, but was rejected.

The Algerian captain spent a turbulent three-year period at Ibrox from 2008 before moving in a £1.7 million deal to Qatari club Lekhwiya.

He moved onto UAE outfit Al-Fujairah last year and was out of contract at the end of the season.

But the 33-year-old's hopes of returning to Glasgow to end his playing career were dashed and he's signed a new deal with the Emirates side.

Bougherra said: "My wish was to go back to Rangers and finish my career there.

"I was out of contract and my dream would have been to play again with Rangers.

"Sadly, it was not possible for that to happen.

"I have now decided to stay with Al Fujairah because it is a club that suits me and I hope to enjoy another good season with them.

"Then I will do my coaching badges as I move into the next stage of my career."

Bougherra won three titles with Rangers, a Scottish Cup and a League Cup.

But he was never far from controversy and was sent off in his last game for the club in a 1-1 Champions League qualifying draw in Malmo.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great player, but too far the wrong side of 30.

As I said, I reckon the squad is being built now for the return to the SPL.

Why sign players just because they want to come to Rangers (or Celtic for that matter) to end their careers?

Why sign players just because they want to come to Rangers (or Celtic for that matter) to end their careers?

33 isn't the wrong side

33 isn't the wrong side

yeah but once we're back in the SPL, he's 34, then if it does take another season to compete fully, he's then 35

I prefer the two defenders signed so far...

Don't like taking back former players,but for him would have made an exception,great player when he wa,s here

Very underrated by most,and age is irrelevant if your good enough,old or young,and eustace is 35 so would have loved

To have seen him here

I'd have offered him a year. Would've been a good backup CB. Bit of experience. However I'd have offered him about £1,000 a week or something. Although I'm sure once he'd seen a wage like that he'd have retracted his heartfelt offer and went elsewhere.

Boogie is 33, Eustace is going on 36, Davy Weir should have had a word with Warburton

Love the big man, and I have no doubt, that if Ally were still here, he'd have been paraded as we speak, but our current gaffer is looking to build for the long term (tu)

No hard feelings to Boogie, as I have no doubt he'd have came in and got in ahead of Moshni/jig/Zal and possibly McGregor, but this isn't the time to bring older ex players players back.

all the best big man, cracking player and a RM emote to boot :wink:

We have stopped being a pension top up fund which is good.

No issues signing the odd older player but as MW says they have a specific role to fill in terms of mentoring and nurturing youth on and off the pitch.

Davie Weir did this when he rejoined at an older age. He made so many other CHs improve their game. Gelled the back 4.

Don't really see this quality in Bougie.

So all in all the correct decision imo