Warburton Era To Be Built On Respect

Lee Wallace reveals 'respect' is at the centre of Rangers' new Code of Conduct
4002510.jpg?display=1&htype=0&type=mc3

BEST FOOT FORWARD: Lee Wallace (left) believes Rangers are making real strides under new boss Mark Warburton

Gary Keown / 5 hours ago / Rangers

5 hours ago

LEE WALLACE has revealed that Rangers’ top players are actively involved in drawing up a new Code of Conduct with manager Mark Warburton.

Warburton has spoken about how impressed he was with the set-up at Barcelona after initial encounters with their youth squads in the Next Gen tournament he co-founded and wants to see the same levels of professionalism from top to bottom at the Ladbrokes Championship outfit.

Wallace, last season’s vice-captain, admits the process of establishing those standards is now well under way with the focus very much on having the players on the same wavelength as the rest of the staff employed by the club at Ibrox and Murray Park.

“We have to appreciate the environment that we are working in,” said Wallace. “Sometimes, you can overlook that and take it for granted.

“We are now reinforcing that mindset in and around Murray Park and there are mannerisms now around the place as well.

“The players are looking to sort out their own Code of Conduct in-house. Whether it is between ourselves or the guys who work on the (playing) fields, it is about the respect that we show and that we can all come together with the staff at Ibrox and, more importantly, the fans.

“If we all go on this path together, the future is certainly looking great for Rangers.”

Wallace has also bought into the passing style of play that Warburton and his assistant David Weir are determined to implement at Rangers.

“It was widely documented that Brentford played a great brand of football and I think that got the eye of the nation,” he said. “The fact the manager and Davie got them from League One to the Championship play-offs was a massive eye-opener for everyone.”

Wallace crossed paths with Weir during the Rangers assistant manager’s days as a player, but he admits they did not quite bring out the best in each other.

“I have so much respect for him,” said Wallace in an interview with Rangers TV. “Unfortunately, he got injured on my debut against Malmo at Ibrox and that was it.

“He was in and around the dressing room, though, and was outstanding as a captain. Any problems or any bad moments in the early part of my Rangers career, I would go to Davie.

“He would be open and honest and it was great. It is just unfortunate I only got that first period with him.

“I played in a Scotland game with him as well, but I am pretty sure I got injured in that. It hasn’t been too great in terms of playing with each other, but I hope that playing under his coaching will help us all become better .”

Wallace has also admitted that last term’s squad let down Stuart McCall in his attempts to land the manager’s role on a permanent basis thanks to their 6-1 aggregate defeat to Motherwell in the final of the Premiership play-offs.

“It was sad with Stuart McCall and Kenny Black moving on,” said Wallace. “They did a great job and did everything they could and, in the end, we ended up failing them. The players let them down. We fell short for them.”

"It was sad with Stuart McCall and Kenny Black moving on", said Wallace. "They did a great job and did everything they could and, in the end, we ended up failing them. The players let them down. We fell short for them."

You also failed the club and the fans, don't ever forget that either.

Although to be fair, some of our own support failed the club last season aswell.

Let's be honest, Wallace has been lacking respect for himself and the club for 2 years. Most of his performances have been shocking in that time, mostly overlooked due to the standards of the others.

Hopefully we see the old Wallace again this season.

I think it's simply showing professionalism, of which there was obviously none during the mccoist reign!

Indeed, the sad sad thing is that we are coming out and boasting that we are behaving professionally when it should just be a given. We havent had a proper professional set up since PLG tried to modernise us. Previous boards should be ashamed for allowing this to continue

I think it's simply showing professionalism, of which there was obviously none during the mccoist reign!

Nail on head! None of this is revolutionary, there should be respect and upholding of traditions coursing through the veins of everyone at Ibrox. Too many charlatans and impostors these past few years, board, management and players.

This morning I had a tour around a local secondary school that I'm hoping my daughter gets to go to next year. It's new and only in it's 2nd year. It has terrific physical space and a forward, deep thing approach to it's philosophy and culture and to learning itself. Max 120 pupils in a year. What impressed me most during the walk about was how they view respect as the foundation of any successful group that work, learn and grow together. You could see it, hear it and feel it. I was very impressed with the whole set-up and hope my wee one gets in.

Then I come home and read this.

Warburton has it right.

I'm all for professionalism and respect, and have grown up and been aware of this ethos firmly established in The Rangers' teams of old , which with all due respect to W&W, was started in earnest from Wilton onwards, and absolutely personified by the late great Bill Struth both as a player and all through his managerial career with the Club.

Scot Symon, Willie Waddell, Jock Wallace all carried it forward with pride, and to a degree all other managers followed suit to the best of their abilities trying to instil this old template in the playing staff with a great degree of success most of the time.

Sadly, lately, this pattern seems to have disappeared, to the point where anyone not familiar with our age old traditions, would be excused for thinking they actually never existed in the first place.

My hat's off to the new management team for bringing back and making this old tradition a priority, as it will breed confidence and in turn be an excellent working tool for on field success, and off field success.

Respecting others around you who are all part of the bigger picture should come as a given, but not all are aware of this function and most have to be taught it, but when this then becomes a natural attribute the difference is amazing, pressure dissipates, stress disappears, confidence is boosted, teamwork becomes the watchword, and the results of this formula builds and builds and the rewards become evident, and again success follows success as the team achieve their goals.

This type of behaviour brings not only footballing success, but financial gains also, as the more this behaviour is "advertised", the more actual advertisers are inclined to pay good money to be associated with a winning formula, as they know they will benefit immensely, and in turn, will pay very well for the privilege of this association.

So sometimes it is just a case of getting back to basics, and it seems to be a tactic that W&W are encouraging, and in turn we the fans seem to recognise this instinctively, and it's not all that surprising considering most of us, to a degree, have been in and around these old traditions that have been handed down from our Gallant Pioneers to the present management team, for a while already, and we know historically that if applied correctly, they work.

They seem to be making all the correct moves to build on the old and apply it to the modern game, and this combination, if all the players play their part, can only result in a winning formula for The Rangers for seasons to come.

I hope it all happens for us this coming season, and we are rewarded with a winning team to take us up this time, and further.

:uk:

Football players aren't that well known for an abundance of grey matter. There are a few exceptions of course.

There is also a lot of arrogance amongst them without the brain cells or talent to back it up.

Values have deteriorated over time in the game. Too many billy big baws thinking they have arrived and the world owes them a living. Average players earning a king's ransome.

Gone are the days when Jock Wallace could walk into a room and there would be silence. Players only too ready to listen.

Unless a manager is someone with the record and status of Mouhrino, players think they are better than everyone. Much to do with the money I'm afraid. Look at billy big baws Sterling and how he has treated Liverpool. Sure he is good, but not that good and it costs nothing to show some respect to the club that made him.

What MW is doing is spelling out to them and they need it. The ground rules. The basics, the conduct, the attitude, the work ethic and how to earn and show respect. Long overdue.

Football players aren't that well known for an abundance of grey matter. There are a few exceptions of course.

There is also a lot of arrogance amongst them without the brain cells or talent to back it up.

Values have deteriorated over time in the game. Too many billy big baws thinking they have arrived and the world owes them a living. Average players earning a king's ransome.

Gone are the days when Jock Wallace could walk into a room and there would be silence. Players only too ready to listen.

Unless a manager is someone with the record and status of Mouhrino, players think they are better than everyone. Much to do with the money I'm afraid. Look at billy big baws Sterling and how he has treated Liverpool. Sure he is good, but not that good and it costs nothing to show some respect to the club that made him.

What MW is doing is spelling out to them and they need it. The ground rules. The basics, the conduct, the attitude, the work ethic and how to earn and show respect. Long overdue.

You're correct if you think players have more power but I'm pretty sure Souness, Smith and Advocat didn't need to rattle a tumbler to get anyone's attention and in fact Souness in particular had enough carisma and respect to silence any dressing room. Advocat like Wallace probably used a bit of fear factor along with respect and Walter was no soft touch either.Players won't give respect unless it's earned but we're not short on managers since Wallace who've earned respect. With regards to Sterling, he showed Liverpool £49m pounds of respect and he knows there is no chance of winning major honours at a club who sadly are living on past honours which probably will never happen again such is the difference between Man City and Chelseas budget to all the rest.