Walter Thinks Fitness Was Not A Issue Last Year

markem

We finished third and were miles behind a Hearts team that was more or less a team of young boys.

While third is not any place close to our expectations - I don't think we would have been so low had Ally stayed as manager - KMcDs spell was horrendous and McCall steadied the boat a bit - ergo my comments we were no where near as bad as folk make out - especially under Ally and as this thread has focused on fitness I am also of the opinion we were no where near as unfit as folk try to make out.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your second sentence - you want my opinion on what 'he' said ? Walter or Mr cox?

But perhaps this will help ...

Our team was obviously not perfect last year - but it was no where near as bad as folk made out. I think this whole 'lack of fitness' thing is a red herring - we won more games than we lost - we won many games in the last 30 min as well. But being of moderate opinion on here while everyone else takes extreme views is somehow derided instead of debates!

The team wasn't as bad as made out?

Are you on the wind up?

Losing to part time teams, getting beat off Hibs 4-0 away, 3-1 and 2-0 at Ibrox.

Throwing away a 2 goal margin in 20 minutes against Alloa?

Drawing three times in the season against Livingston?

Finishing third in the second tier of Scottish football?

would be interested in the stats for that - it always felt like we would throw away goals toward the end of games and get a draw

Ach I'm to lazy to back an opinion up with facts! :pipe:

I also worried about late goals - I just don't think that 'worry' was down to fitness.

The team wasn't as bad as made out?

Are you on the wind up?

Losing to part time teams, getting beat off Hibs 4-0 away, 3-1 and 2-0 at Ibrox.

Throwing away a 2 goal margin in 20 minutes against Alloa?

Drawing three times in the season against Livingston?

Finishing third in the second tier of Scottish football?

Finishing 3rd is better than 4th - and again , to repeat, 3rd is not what we expect but this thread has concentrated on out fitness levels - and again to repeat - our fitness levels are no where as bad as folk are trying to make out.

Amazing how our fans have changed - it seems defending the team, defending Ally, defending Walter, defending chaps who have played for us and left - that now leads to accusations of being taig like - have a word with yourself ( and others) - often on RM if your not a hater this type of shit gets bandied about - pathetic.

The first taig comment was in a post liked by yourself and now your all offended, grow up!

When Alloa, Livingston etc were running over the top of our players in midfield and not a single defender could keep up with a semi-pro striker then I'd say fitness was a very massive issue

Ach I'm to lazy to back an opinion up with facts! :pipe:

I also worried about late goals - I just don't think that 'worry' was down to fitness.

I had a quick look but couldn't see the timings of the goals... i thought the fitness aspect was crucial last season tbh but each to their own

Finishing 3rd is better than 4th - and again , to repeat, 3rd is not what we expect but this thread has concentrated on out fitness levels - and again to repeat - our fitness levels are no where as bad as folk are trying to make out.

You've got to be at the wind up or your expectations of a Rangers team are ridiculously low.

While third is not any place close to our expectations - I don't think we would have been so low had Ally stayed as manager - KMcDs spell was horrendous and McCall steadied the boat a bit - ergo my comments we were no where near as bad as folk make out - especially under Ally and as this thread has focused on fitness I am also of the opinion we were no where near as unfit as folk try to make out.

We were absolutely appalling before Ally was given the boot. Especially November/December

Drew at home to Alloa.

Lost away to Hearts, and gave them the title after some cowardly tactics.

Got beaten by Alloa who had players just finished their shift.

Queen of the South outplaying us.

Had he stayed we might have not seen the playoffs at all.

We were absolutely appalling before Ally was given the boot. Especially November/December

Drew at home to Alloa.

We were well clear in second when he left

Your second sentence - you want my opinion on what 'he' said ? Walter or Mr cox?

But perhaps this will help ...

Our team was obviously not perfect last year - but it was no where near as bad as folk made out. I think this whole 'lack of fitness' thing is a red herring - we won more games than we lost - we won many games in the last 30 min as well. But being of moderate opinion on here while everyone else takes extreme views is somehow derided instead of debates!

Being a smart arse does not help your case.

My view is based on watching Rangers over three and a half years of a poor McCoist tenure. It was poor on so many fronts, all of which have been noted on this website time and time again. While some may think it is accpetanble simply to win more games than you lose, the plethora of defeats by teams of the ilk of Alloa, Annan, Peterhead and Stirling Albion and an American college team is not acceptable. Why you ignore these facts is beyond me. It's not extreme to view these types of defeats, and performances, as acceptable. Why do you not see this?

Drew at home to Alloa.

.. And second ( not what we want but not over at that point). Every one seems to discount the lack of stability at the club, the worst board we ever had ( and that takes some fucking doing) , the undermining of Ally by the board, the boycotters who did not support because of the board, and on and on! But Ally is an easy target for some and many jump on that bandwagon, to the extent we have some folk ( in another thread) even saying he was a second rate footballer!

These forums are all about opinions and you know what they say about opinions they are like arseholes everybody has one.Some could see from the start of his management tenure that Ally did not have what it took.Some could see that even when he was in charge for some of the cup games. Some on the other hand wanted to turn a blind eye to what was becoming more and more obvious due to his career as a player and thats their choice.Its only my opinion but i honestly think that Ally thought that managing the Rangers would just be like what Walter did,after all thats where he learned his trade shall we say.Unfortunately for Ally the financial mess the club ended up in scuppered his plans and when asked to manage like almost every other manager has to do and has had to do since day one ie not have millions to spend Ally was found wanting. He couldnt buy his way out of the mess example when Naismith got injured he really didnt know how to combat that loss as he couldnt go out and buy another Naismith.Yes there was boardroom trouble as we all know to well but again look at Hearts.At one point their players werent even getting paid for months at a time but they still managed to go out and win the Scottish cup.There has been a lot wrong at the great old club for a long while as i have stated on previous posts we became lazy.Lazy in scouting,lazy in training,lazy n youth development,lazy in tactical awareness,lazy in moving with the times.We adopted a policy of let the others scout,develop and we will go in with the big Rangers cheque book and spend the cash job done.Only problem with that phylosophy is it all falls apart when theres no cash to spend.Walter is entitled to his opinion as is Mark and lets be honest surely no one expected Walter to say any of it was Allys fault.What puzzles me is why Walter thought he had to say anything at all but again he is entitled to his opinion.We now have a new board who hopefully will bring stability off the park and for once in a long time a management team who the fans are looking forward to bringing the correct results on the park.A management team who can work within the budgets that are realistic to the position the club are in and for the leagues that we are in.As i say its only my opinion but like i say they are like arseholes everybody has one and some are different to others but that is what these forums are all about or should be.

.. And second ( not what we want but not over at that point). Every one seems to discount the lack of stability at the club, the worst board we ever had ( and that takes some fucking doing) , the undermining of Ally by the board, the boycotters who did not support because of the board, and on and on! But Ally is an easy target for some and many jump on that bandwagon, to the extent we have some folk ( in another thread) even saying he was a second rate footballer!

As genuine as they may be none of those factors excuse the absolute drop in standards within Ally's scope to control.

Poster above makes a good point in that expectations are subjective. Regardless of the challenges faced I believe we could have expected much more from Ally. A whole lot more including keeping a grip of basic standards.

How anyone can defend mccoists tenure is beyond comprehension. There's no defending the transfer policy for 1. I mean faure was one of the best we could sign or mosnhi? Fucking Kevin Kyle? The extremely dour football on show? The pandering to other teams in media conferences? Hammering the ball against the managers arse? Buffets at Murray park? Players getting haircuts and nandos around 1:30 on training days? The unstable boardroom never made those decisions

How anyone can defend mccoists tenure is beyond comprehension. There's no defending the transfer policy for 1. I mean faure was one of the best we could sign or mosnhi? Fucking Kevin Kyle? The extremely dour football on show? The pandering to other teams in media conferences? Hammering the ball against the managers arse? Buffets at Murray park? Players getting haircuts and nandos around 1:30 on training days? The unstable boardroom never made those decisions

did he not sign SA last year to give kyle hutton another year as well i heard?

As genuine as they may be none of those factors excuse the absolute drop in standards within Ally's scope to control.

Poster above makes a good point in that expectations are subjective. Regardless of the challenges faced I believe we could have expected much more from Ally. A whole lot more including keeping a grip of basic standards.

I expected more of Ally as well - but he was no where near as bad as folks make out - and IMHO - did nothing to warrant the vitriol folks pour at him. It's hard taking a moderate stance as in here only extreme positions seem acceptable.

Dear-oh-dear.

If you can accept the shocking fitness levels (lack of, more like) we showed last season and the seasons before that under 'The Gardener' then there's nothing I can add.

I expected more of Ally as well - but he was no where near as bad as folks make out - and IMHO - did nothing to warrant the vitriol folks pour at him. It's hard taking a moderate stance as in here only extreme positions seem acceptable.

Ally did a lot of damage to this club in his tenure as manager -

there was a lot of money spent (badly)

there was no development of youth players,

there was no obvious ability to coach a team (seemed he relied on trying to bring in older players that could sort themselves out)

he couldn't make a sub or tactical change during a game to influence the outcome

he couldn't train a fit team to maintain performace levels over 90 mins

he didn't know how to use a squad of players, he had his favorites who were undroppable

he played a consistently terrible brand of football, barely covered by scraping results against part timers - which seems to be the only defence of him

couldn't do the decent thing when his time was up and is still taking a wage

- he was the personification of short term-ism

I can't see what warrants a moderate stance to him tbh

Nowhere near as bad? Jesus Christ do you need reminding of the last 3 years?

We were the laughing stock of football under him.

did he not sign SA last year to give kyle hutton another year as well i heard?

as far as I know we never went in for Allan. Wether that was to keep Hutton - who knows. Maybe he wanted Hutton tied down then thought the board would sign Allan. But as I said the board never caused the issues in my previous post