Derek Parlane

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great player and great guy who came from Rhu just outside Helensburgh. His mother was a regular customer at my father's shop which always ensured autographed photos.

While many hail Negris 5 goals against the Arabs, Parlane equalled this feat against the Pars, many years before, if memory serves me correctly.

PS JD I m sure he went on to be a chef.

$%28KGrHqN,%21o0FIKpvPrr-BSHIzrfQ,g~~60_

Signed from Queens Park. Done very well in his first couple of years. Scoring against Bayern in the ECWC semi and the equaliser in the 73 cup final against the filth.

It was big DJ being put back up front which blunted his career. In the two treble season DJ scored a barrel load and Parlane couldn't form a partnership with him (too similar perhaps) feck even Martin Henderson got a game then!

Gordon Smiths arrival and great partnership with DJ was the final straw as far as his Rangers career was concerned.

A regular in the the corporate areas of Ibrox recently - should always be regarded as a good club servant.

Great player and great guy who came from Rhu just outside Helensburgh. His mother was a regular customer at my father's shop which always ensured autographed photos.

While many hail Negris 5 goals against the Arabs, Parlane equalled this feat against the Pars, many years before, if memory serves me correctly.

Where was the shop?

Really really nice big fella .Can't believe the club don't do more to give him a bit more profile .He is and always be a legend for me

A popular player as I was growing up. he went to Leeds but I don't think it worked out for him. Anyone know how things went for him after Leeds? And any general memories of the guy?

i was at Dens Park for the game against Dundee where Colin Stein was in his second stint at Rangers and he got sent off in the first half to which a riot ensue and the Ref had to take the players off of the park.

Rangers were down 1-0 at half time then in the second half i saw Tommy McLean score a fantastic solo equalizing goal where he walked round the goalkeeper and as Tommy Gemmell went to stop him the wee man faked out Gemmell who fell on his arse and McClean rolled the ball into the empty net.

A few minutes later Derek Parlane scored one of the best goals i've seen a Rangers player score to win the game 2-1 for a ten man Rangers side.

Tommy McClean cut in from the left hand side and curled a ball into the box and without breaking stride Parlane had killed it with his left foot and smashed a volley into the net with his right foot.

He hit it so hard that the ball stuck in between the stanchion and the net.

You had to be there to see it as it was a brilliant piece of skill.

I also saw him score 5 at East End Park in a game where he missed about 5 great chances.

I think the first time i saw him play was in the ECWC Semi against Bayern where he scored.

Parlane was a magnificent Centre Forward for Rangers who deserves all the accolades that come his way as he scored some memorable goals in a Bue jersey.

Signed from Queens Park. Done very well in his first couple of years. Scoring against Bayern in the ECWC semi and the equaliser in the 73 cup final against the filth.

It was big DJ being put back up front which blunted his career. In the two treble season DJ scored a barrel load and Parlane couldn't form a partnership with him (too similar perhaps) feck even Martin Henderson got a game then!

Gordon Smiths arrival and great partnership with DJ was the final straw as far as his Rangers career was concerned.

A regular in the the corporate areas of Ibrox recently - should always be regarded as a good club servant.

Oops...

If I remember correctly Derek lost his place to Martin Henderson. Incredible really when you look back at the two players. Henderson wasn't in the same class. He had a lot of skill for a big lad, maybe because he started as a midfielder. Was played alone upfront too often ploughing a lone furrow. Had a very successful season at Man City as well. Him and Colin Stein were my heroes back in the day. Parlance, Parlane, King of Ibrox Park indeed.

I grew up in the village, we'd regularly be playing on the Navy park just along from his parents house (his father, Jimmy was also a Rangers player) and he and his two brothers, Ian (a goalkeeper with local amateur team, Arrochar) and Nigel (who played at Ardencaple with my brother, and later also signed for Rangers) occasionally joined us for a kick about. Genuinely down to earth and generous with his time for us kids. One particular occasion we were invited into his parents house for a photo shoot with the Record. I ran up the road to tell my mum and by the time I got back the photographer had been and gone! Bummer

Iirc he started in the semi final win in 72 against Bayern in place of an injured John Greig , and scored out 2nd goal. Also made the bench for the final. Not bad for an 18 year old . Also worth noting that Derek Johnstone was establishing himself in the team at the same age.

Also remember how disappointed I was when we sold Colin Stein after the ECWC final , but the way Derek Parlane settled into the team and started scoring on a regular basis that pain was eased. Always seemed to do well against c....c and for a few years would always be our No1 striker.

As another poster mentioned , for some reason Jock Wallace preferred Martin Henderson for a while , something to this day I've never understood .

Think his time was running out with Rangers when we signed Gordon Smith in 78 , who together with Derek Johnstone that season , formed one our best forward combinations that helped win the treble.

The King of Ibrox Park played ten years for us and another five years at teams including Leeds, Man City, Swansea, Rochdale, Airdrie and Macclesfield. He was a definite hero of mine back in the day, even when I ended up with burst appendix stitches after he scored in the Big Tam final :D

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/13204025._King_of_Ibrox_Park__Derek_Parlane_recalls_his_Rangers_heyday/

A classy player - always had a bit more skill than the average striker from those times. He was still emerging as a squad player but played in the midfield (relacing the injured Grieg) the night we beat Bayern in the Cup Winners Cup Semi-Final second leg at Ibrox in 1972. Scored the second goal that night. I was on the terracing at the Broomloan end that night and will never forget it.