League Cup

bluenoz

In recent years, the league cup seems to have less importance both here and south of the border. I've read the occasional comment by people on RM that they could care less about winning this ( or the Petrofac Cup ) as long as we win the league. I know most are like me and want to win everything. I for one, am glad MW selects our best eleven no matter which game we play in. My best memories are the years when we win the domestic treble. I was eight when a 16 yr old DJ rose above McNeil in the 1970 LC final in front of over 100,000 supporters. I will never forget that. Things have changed as was shown by Brentford playing reserves last night in the English LC.

Petrofac and league are the two that mean most to me this season. I will be gutted if we go up having not won them.

We will only get this season to ever win these again.

Next season, I want us to go for the treble. Same as every (normal) season. Some of my best memories come from treble years as well. 99 was superb.

English teams in particular do that.They ignore cup competition to focus on keeping their lucrative position in the league system.

The financial rewards of the English leagues are enormous. The financial rewards in the cup competitions are much less.

English clubs no longer care about history, tradition, romanticism, or fans or community interest in cup competitions. Status to generate continued income is all that matters.

And English teams are now so arrogant and league status/income motivated they even turn down the chance of success in that less lucrative European competition, the EUFA cup, again denying the fans that opportunity to enjoy European football.

In my opinion those clubs are in contempt of their history, their fans and football itself. But whose going to stop it. The clubs, naw, they are greedy. FA, naw,they like the money too. The corrupt EUFA and FIFA, naw.

English teams in particular do that.They ignore cup competition to focus on keeping their lucrative position in the league system.

The financial rewards of the English leagues are enormous. The financial rewards in the cup competitions are much less.

English clubs no longer care about history, tradition, romanticism, or fans or community interest in cup competitions. Status to generate continued income is all that matters.

And English teams are now so arrogant and league status/income motivated they even turn down the chance of success in that less lucrative European competition, the EUFA cup, again denying the fans that opportunity to enjoy European football.

In my opinion those clubs are in contempt of their history, their fans and football itself. But whose going to stop it. The clubs, naw, they are greedy. FA, naw,they like the money too. The corrupt EUFA and FIFA, naw.

You could see it last night when Barca & Sevilla played in the Super Cup. Its a glorified friendly but the Barca players were celebrating like they'd won the Champions League all over again :lol:

I'd like to see the League Cup abolished and replaced with a British Cup. Something clubs from all over Britain could compete in. English teams would be more successful but playing some of those teams would be a real cash cow for us and sky. Imagine the away days too.

Dunno why but I always associate the League Cup as ours but the Scottish as the bheggars.

I do see us going for both this year, but don't really envisage us getting either.

The league is a must, the petrofac a cup we really should win, and the other 2 cups depends on the luck of the draws as much as anything.

Would be good if a lower league club such as us beat the oh so mighty mhanks who don't get any competition ( ignore any talk of failed trebles ) right enough....

Id be absolutely fucking delighted if we lifted the league cup.

I think the only problem with the league cup is the final is played quite a bit before the season ends so by the time the season is drawing to a close everyone has sort of moved on from it

They way the SPFL are thinking for next season, group games in the summer and a final in October or November. I would be up for that, friendlies in the summer are a pish poor affair and I remember the great LC finals in the 80s played in Autumn ( v sheep, Davie Cooper's free kick etc.)

They way the SPFL are thinking for next season, group games in the summer and a final in October or November. I would be up for that, friendlies in the summer are a pish poor affair and I remember the great LC finals in the 80s played in Autumn ( v sheep, Davie Cooper's free kick etc.)

I still think when we go up this year there will be reconstruction to bring up at least St mirren and Hivees too.

Think the cup reconstruction will be the least of the worries when there is the blue pound back in the top league.

I still think when we go up this year there will be reconstruction to bring up at least St mirren and Hivees too.

Think the cup reconstruction will be the least of the worries when there is the blue pound back in the top league.

I strongly suspect that as well, the SPFL have making noises about this. However, expect some bizzare construction in order to accomadate 4 OF games in this model.

Always been a fan of the l/c and would love us to win it this season. First got into the league cup the year big DJ scored the winner at hamdump as it ended a miserable barren spell where the taigs were dominant. Still one of my favourite cup finals.

Me too, remember some classics eg v the sheep in the late 80's and who can forget Jelavik's wee trundler to beat the mhanks!?.

Tell you what .I will just hate it ,if Platini gets elected to FIFA top man .He is as corrupt as the previous IMO .Just a bit flier than the previous .As for our own league cup .I'm

Backing us to win it this year .Beating Hearts in the Final

Petrofac and league are the two that mean most to me this season. I will be gutted if we go up having not won them.

We will only get this season to ever win these again.

Next season, I want us to go for the treble. Same as every (normal) season. Some of my best memories come from treble years as well. 99 was superb.

It's only the Petrofac cup we've never win. (Shamefully).

I think it would be embarrassing to have that on our honours list.

We have won everything else. I think it would be more embarrassing to have entered it 4 times and never won it.

We laugh at the tims for not winning a treble with no competition. This is our version of that imo.

We must win it this year. It was one of the reasons why I finally gave in and joined the rest with being happy to accept Div 3 - to be the first club in the world to win every trophy available in their country.

Petro would look good alongside 2 other trophies but It still doesn't matter really

In the grand scheme of things, yes. But as a Rangers tradition, I would say it's right up there.

After promotion, it's the one I want most. Followed by the Scottish cup, then the league cup.