The Aggression Today

RFCRobertson

I gotta say I was really impressed with how aggressive the rangers were being today, in terms of tackles and challenges.

Compared to the Livi game, you could see they had "toughened" up a bit after that.

I know it'll seem really hypocritical saying "aw such and such is a bastard for that challenge" and then saying "Good on Wally for taking that bastard out". But personally, that's what I want to see. I don't want to see Oduwa getting his ankle and throat hit, He's a player of the team I support. but seeing Kaiser Kiernan take a player out gets me hyped up especially since is many teams play that damn dirty against us.

What do you think? Think they've started to commit to challenges?

Kiernan was outstanding today in terms of physicality, took a lot of grappling from Thompson and lashed out fairly when he levelled him on the touchline. Andy Halliday made Goodwin look like a wee fluffy bunny. Everyone was in about it today. Good to see were a good passing quick football team who won't take crap from anyone

I think they decided that they would lay down a marker when needed. It also helped that the ref was far more in control.

Booking Goodwin after a few minutes helped.

yep thought the ref had a decent game today and set his stall out so to speak by booking Goodwin early doors which put down a marker for the rest

yep thought the ref had a decent game today and set his stall out so to speak by booking Goodwin early doors which put down a marker for the rest

think he timed the booking just right a couple of tackles went in that he let go and then said fair enough card time set out his stall and maintained it players knew what would happen. a good game all round for him and after that twat dallas the other night it was good to see a decent ref performance.

think he timed the booking just right a couple of tackles went in that he let go and then said fair enough card time set out his stall and maintained it players knew what would happen. a good game all round for him and after that twat dallas the other night it was good to see a decent ref performance.

I thought Kiernan getting booked was pretty harsh. Other than that there wasn't much I could really contest.

I thought Kiernan getting booked was pretty harsh. Other than that there wasn't much I could really contest.

He kicked the ball away when we gave a FK away. It's a booking in football every single time. It was unnecessary - I really like Kiernan but he does have the occasional rush of blood to the head where he does stupid things on the pitch.

You learn more from your team in a game like that compared to a 5-0 canter. Not that I want to watch us being that poor every week, we need to strengthen some areas and get back to the passing game. It concerns me a bit that at half time whatever team talk was given about keeping the ball and treating it properly wasn't listened to or was listened to and not implemented. Tav and Wallace were guilty of some very slack play and passes. Good win, but improvements are needed or we face a defeat next week as Hibs are a step above anything we have played so far in the league.

He kicked the ball away when we gave a FK away. It's a booking in football every single time. It was unnecessary - I really like Kiernan but he does have the occasional rush of blood to the head where he does stupid things on the pitch.

I presumed he just didn't hear the whistle, he didn't seem/look frustrated to me

The only aggression we showed was in direct competition to a heavy handed approach. Was delighted with the effort and graft we put in all over the park, all of it fair, all of it needed to counter a saints team that where heavy handed, fair-ish, but heavy handed and right up for it.

They'll never play like that again, they were desperate to get one over us, we had to pick our moments, and when we did we weren't as good as we've been in the past. They tired and we should've hurt them more after riding some big waves. No team can play at that intensity throughout the 90 and saints gave it a good effort.

Wes

Kiernan

Ball

Holt

4 absolute standouts and needed to be brave today, controlled aggression is the word (tu)

Saints will feel aggrieved at a lack of a point, but they went out to do us and they say they "had a go" but in reality they're game plan was to stop us and hope to capitilise.

Not saying that's wrong, but it's not as if they've controlled the game and outplayed us. Tough game that required some big characters.

Delighted with everyone tonight (tu)

I presumed he just didn't hear the whistle, he didn't seem/look frustrated to me

He wasn't frustrated and he he was facing our goal when he stupidly flicked the ball away, he heard the whistle all right, and as said previously, it is a stonewall booking offence, and in the type game we were involved in today he could have cost us had it been earlier in the game as the ref had laid down a marker that he was prepared to book people for infringing the rules.

Unnecessary silly booking, but the way we were standing up to some unnecessary stuff coming from St.Mirren was commendable, and showed another side of our game that was welcome under the circumstances.

St.Mirren came at us in a different mode and it didn't pay off, but it was clear to see that we were fortunate to get away with all the points, if not for Wes F in goal we may have been caught out, he was my MOTM today and done us proud.

:uk:

He wasn't frustrated and he he was facing our goal when he stupidly flicked the ball away, he heard the whistle all right, and as said previously, it is a stonewall booking offence, and in the type game we were involved in today he could have cost us had it been earlier in the game as the ref had laid down a marker that he was prepared to book people for infringing the rules.

Unnecessary silly booking, but the way we were standing up to some unnecessary stuff coming from St.Mirren was commendable, and showed another side of our game that was welcome under the circumstances.

St.Mirren came at us in a different mode and it didn't pay off, but it was clear to see that we were fortunate to get away with all the points, if not for Wes F in goal we may have been caught out, he was my MOTM today and done us proud.

I take back what I said then ^^

I thought we looked very leg weary/jaded to start with. St Mirren looked far sharper and far more up for it than we did. That worried me slightly. The goal came just at the right time imo, as we were just starting to find our feet, and it forced them back a bit. We were, of course, a lot more dogged in our challenges than midweek.

I'm not going to complain, but I wouldn't mind if Warburton had a plan b formation. Our normal 4-3-3 never really got going today!

Still, 11 out of 11 is never a bad thing! :D

You are spot on with your comments,Bobby (tu) If there's one thing that annoys me more than a player getting booked for a senseless tackle it's a player who gets a stupid booking for kicking the ball away especially when he knew exactly what he was doing. Kiernan does some great stuff in the centre of defence but undoes a lot of the good work by putting his brain into neutral at times, which is infuriating for a manager.

Big Wes Foderingham was my MOTM by a clear margin (although he nearly fucked it up when he threw the ball about 3 yards to the opposition) doh When Foderingham signed for us I was laughed at on this forum when I stated that he would end up being as good,if not better a 'keeper than McGregor :sherlock: I'm not about to change my opinion anytime soon :pipe:

Dont know whether its cause Mark likes to keep the ball moving and not get involved in physicality or just because st midden had the ball more than other teams we've played, but we showed controlled aggression and put in tackles and it was good to see, saw another side to our game today.

think it was more to do with the totting up c.3 he did blow up a few times for him so don't think he can complain to much.