Biggest Match Attendance You Have Been To

pcbear

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not sure but my Dad took me as a boy when the enclosures were still standing and people still got a carryout in. Remember on a cold day the back of my leg getting warm as some steamer pished down the back a my leg was early 80's to mid but fuck knows attendances back then.

I hear tales of having fires in the enclosures in winter to keep warm but not sure if a wind up.

You actually remember the pishing incident? These things were like kick-offs at Hampden, they happened every game. Too many pairs of pish soaked jeans to rmember.

Fires at Ibrox, yes 100% but IIRC mostly on the big terraces especially the septic end at non OF games when that end was emptier.

It was 80,000, Celtic played Inter the same night at Parkhead and there was 75,000 there, 155,000 in Glasgow for two matches, we won they got beat on pens.

That's right, I remember they played that night. I was in the centennial stand. Parlane & Jardine. As a 10 yr old, it felt like there was 500k that night. :D

Rangers v Bayern semi at Ibrox. Can't remember attendence but was over 100k. What a night that was.

Was some kind of record attendance for a single city including those who watched it on TV. Possibly 75% of Glaswegians watched them as both games were also live on TV. The statistics are out there somewhere.

I had the best of both worlds. was at Ibrox then over to Merkland Street on the subway and my Dad went in to the pub nearest the subway station with me sat in the corner with a lemonade just as the tims were finishing extra time and Dixie was stepping up for that penalty kick. Probably the greatest nights football ever in Glasgow for a Gers fan..

Biggest attendance at Ibrox for me was against Bayern in '72. Was also at the game against England when Dalglish stuck the ball through Clemence's legs. Don't know the year or the crowd. Some big guy just picked me up and shook me when the ball hit the net. No idea who he was. I can also confirm the stories of pish running down the back of your leg, lovely and warm on a cold day.

Biggest attendance at Ibrox for me was against Bayern in '72. Was also at the game against England when Dalglish stuck the ball through Clemence's legs. Don't know the year or the crowd. Some big guy just picked me up and shook me when the ball hit the net. No idea who he was. I can also confirm the stories of pish running down the back of your leg, lovely and warm on a cold day.

Nobody took it too personal when they got peed on as most fans used to try and pish in to an empty beer can rather than push their way through the massed crowd to then go away down to the primitive toilets and then back.

Trouble was it was hard to pee straight into the wee hole in the can as the crowd swayed as they tried to hold the can steady so most of the pee would miss. Hampden was the worst cause the dust turned into pee saturated mud quite quickly too.

Biggest irony was that big wide ground trailing flared trousers (high waisters with a thrre button waist, :rolleyes: ) and ground trailing flared denims were in fashion so those would soak up masses of the stuff.

Nobody took it too personal when they got peed on as most fans used to try and pish in to an empty beer can rather than push their way through the massed crowd to then go away down to the primitive toilets and then back.

Trouble was it was hard to pee straight into the wee hole in the can as the crowd swayed as they tried to hold the can steady so most of the pee would miss. Hampden was the worst cause the dust turned into pee saturated mud quite quickly too.

Biggest irony was that big wide ground trailing flared trousers (high waisters with a thrre button waist, :rolleyes: ) and ground trailing flared denims were in fashion so those would soak up masses of the stuff.

That's spot on about the flared trousers, they would end up soaking up to the knees.....

Although they were were ideal for smuggling in cans of lager, four fitted inside your pulled up football socks easily. Ever notice everybody walked up to the turnstiles like the Tin Man?

That's spot on about the flared trousers, they would end up soaking up to the knees.....

Although they were were ideal for smuggling in cans of lager, four fitted inside your pulled up football socks easily. Ever notice everybody walked up to the turnstiles like the Tin Man?

:)

And with another couple of cans in the high waist. (tu)

Was great when the ring pull cans came out too and once opened you could seperate the wee aluminium ring and use the "pull off" bit to flick the ring over the heads of the crowd on to the track. That was our pre-match entertainment back then.

1964 cup final Rangers v Dundee 134 K in attendance what a game and what a finish, this thread has brought back great memories. What a fabulous club to support.

How good was that Rangers team ? Up there with the best ever ? They were very sucessful and came close to European glory on a few occasions.

You actually remember the pishing incident? These things were like kick-offs at Hampden, they happened every game. Too many pairs of pish soaked jeans to rmember.

Fires at Ibrox, yes 100% but IIRC mostly on the big terraces especially the septic end at non OF games when that end was emptier.

I think it was 1st game i went to on my own a Man Utd friendly (1990) I think and some bastard was steaming pishing all over my jeans.

I just cannot imagine having a fire at a footy game and honestly thought my Old Man was talking shite.