Zelalem

Frank Reynolds

Four assists...who were they against? I can't think of a single instance where this player has produced a goal through innovative play. He hasn't been worth a place in the team. I hope he can step up a gear for the remainder of the season because Mark Warburton seems enamoured with him.

Set Holt up for one (QoS away, maybe), Tav at Morton, apparently one v Airdrie.

If we're really stretching a point, he hid shuffle it sideways for Waghorn to do the rest with a quite sublime curler to the top corner v Dumbarton, as you say, I wouldn't have described that as 'innovative play'.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Four assists...who were they against? I can't think of a single instance where this player has produced a goal through innovative play. He hasn't been worth a place in the team. I hope he can step up a gear for the remainder of the season because Mark Warburton seems enamoured with him.

DP

Set Holt up for one (QoS away, maybe), Tav at Morton, apparently one v Airdrie.

If we're really stretching a point, he hid shuffle it sideways for Waghorn to do the rest with a quite sublime curler to the top corner v Dumbarton, as you say, I wouldn't have described that as 'innovative play'.

Yes he may have been part of a move that resulted in a goal but I don't see that as an 'assist'. Like that simple wall pass that 'set up' Waghorns goal; my old granny could have played that. Give me one example of where he has created something out of the usual. I think you'll struggle. Obviously he's a skilful player with potential but he isn't worth a place in the team at the moment and I don't get why he is been rated by so many. Hopefully though he'll make me eat my words today.

Yes he may have been part of a move that resulted in a goal but I don't see that as an 'assist'. Like that simple wall pass that 'set up' Waghorns goal; my old granny could have played that. Give me one example of where he has created something out of the usual. I think you'll struggle. Obviously he's a skilful player with potential but he isn't worth a place in the team at the moment and I don't get why he is been rated by so many. Hopefully though he'll make me eat my words today.

Oh, I know mate.

Just quoted the examples to show that if he does do something decent, it gets noticed.

There ain't that much to go on, though.....

I like Zelalem and you can see his obvious talent but right now his performances have been average, the way we play needs driving midfielders who can move quickly and move the ball quickly......he kills the flow of the game and slows it right down.

Cracking wee player but does not merit a starting slot for me, if he were to drive forward and move the ball quickly I'd have him in there in a heart beat but it's obvious Law offers a far better dynamic to the team.

Can you not? You weren't watching the match against Airdrie then. The pass he made that night was as fine a pass for cutting a defence open as you will see anywhere.

Picking and choosing what counts as an assist to suit an agenda. Ridiculous.

Not at all. First I don't have an 'agenda', don't be daft; I have an opinion. I am not going to praise someone for doing something unremarkable. You could equally say labelling a simplistic piece of play an 'assist' to big up a player is part of an 'agenda'...if you were being a twat that is.

Can you not? You weren't watching the match against Airdrie then. The pass he made that night was as fine a pass for cutting a defence open as you will see anywhere.

I don't remember it, no. Who scored? I'll look up the video and if I've missed an assist of note, I'll hold my hand up.

I don't think anyone is wrong on Zelalem, just perhaps a little fixated on him being one thing.

Zelalem hasn't thus far performed in anyway near the level required to get into the midfield of our team in a normal year, he has so far at this level failed to set the heather alight in a fashion that suggests he's on the cusp of greatness.

By the same token he isn't shite either, if you remember Arteta being at us we sold him at a loss, with a few more years under his belt he was worthy of a move to Arsenal and was valued at a pretty penny to boot. Zelalem COULD be in that vein, he'll MAYBE go on to be a very good player but it looks like that will be a few years down the line IF he stays on course in that direction.

All in all he is a young player who may or may not reach heights, we're not going to see the best of him but we might bring him on a bit and get the odd turn out of him if we're lucky.

Off topic, always amazed we sold Arteta for the price we did. Really baffled me that one. Anyone could see he had that bit of quality about him.

Waghorn.

Fair enough. That was a very good pass and it was an 'assist' I'd not registered. More of that and I'd be happy but the reality is Zelalam has produced very little. If he had been a youngster from Auchenhowie, rather than one from a big club in the BPL, I think most would be saying he isn't ready for the first team.

Looking at that goal though it made me think about why I'm dubious about these 'assists'. If Waghorn had played a cross and someone else scored then Zelalam's very good bit of play wouldn't have been an assist; seems daft. If done properly some goals would have more than one player and others none at all; I don't think the last player should get an assist to his name automatically just because he was the last player to touch the ball. Zelalam's simple pass for Wagorn to score from a long range shot is an example.

I love how Nicky "Invisible" Law has gone from being the player most wanted dropped and as far away from the club as possible to a sudden viable option in our midfield. Ten minutes here and there doesn't make a good player.+-

Our top goal scorer last season.........Zelalem - I remember one shot so far this season, give me the invisible man. At this time it's a no brainer.

He has a good quick touch and can often pick out a good pass.

I think we would all be calling Zelalem an amazing player if the ball was played to him, he played a quick pass / pinpoint pass outside the box to "a striker" and the striker takes a shot. Obviously they wouldnt always go in or be on target even but we would praise Zelalem for the assist and accuracy of his pass.

Instead the scenario is usually along the lines of ball to Zelalem, pass to McKay, back to Zelalem, finds Halliday, forward to Miller, back to Zelalem, to Waghorn, to McKay, to Zelalem... etc. And the rival teams can read it.

pretty much the case. We were more direct against Hibs so hopefully we dont go back to the tippy tappy stuff.

I think because of the role he plays we could easily overlook his attributes. His ability to hold on to the ball is under-rated, in my opinion. Keeping possession is important, and this player keeps possession better than any in the team. He is a very good footballer, and a great player in the making. Making the direct pass is hard when there is a congested area, but even then we can overlook what he brings, because some of his short passes are good. Where I think he would be better is if he took his opportunities in front of goal better. He is very good at making space for himself, another sign of a very good player, but when he has made that space he has not shown the composure he needs to have. He will make it at Arsenal, or a team of that calbre; I'm certain of that.

Aye we all long for the 'direct' play of the McCoist era.

far from it but the opposition have been forcing us into mistakes. We need to have someone take men on to get to the by line or split the defence by running through. The opposition limit our space and force passing errors. We are not good enough to pas the balls through defences. We also need to break out of our defence quicker . Too many players hang back.