Danny Wilson

GOAT

The talents always been there, and when he's at his best he's by miles our best defender. Makes so many crucial blocks and reads things that the rest of our players don't even see - can tell he's played alongside Sir Davie since he was 17. Delighted that he's turned around his bad run from a couple months back. 

There was a period I felt he should be benched with Ball in his place but he's upped his game.  Far more consistent now, but to fair, it was a completely new back five with the exception of Wallace so it was only natural they would take time to understand each others game.

1 minute ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Could you name these few goals he's been at fault for? 

It's ignored on here that Kiernan has been involved in more of the goals we've conceded and Ball last night was dreadful for the Morton goal, his defending was far worse than what Wilson get's blamed for i.e Alloa goal and Cummings away at Hibs.

Apart from his passing, he's been fine all season, was a scapegoat and the other two defenders bad decisions, slack passing and poor positioning gets overlooked often!

Alot of our defensive mistakes are due to the centre backs covering where Tav should be due to his lack of tracking back/poor positioning.

My only worry for the scum game is Griffiths exploiting those gaps. 

4 minutes ago, RD.1872 said:

Alot of our defensive mistakes are due to the centre backs covering where Tav should be due to his lack of tracking back/poor positioning.

I agree, but overall, it won't be too embarrassing if we win 3-2 rather than 3-0. 

:pipe:

12 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

It's ignored on here that Kiernan has been involved in more of the goals we've conceded and Ball last night was dreadful for the Morton goal, his defending was far worse than what Wilson get's blamed for i.e Alloa goal and Cummings away at Hibs.

Apart from his passing, he's been fine all season, was a scapegoat and the other two defenders bad decisions, slack passing and poor positioning gets overlooked often!

Only one I can remember was the St Johnstone game, him and Wallace were allover the place for their first.

10 minutes ago, RD.1872 said:

Alot of our defensive mistakes are due to the centre backsiscovering where Tav should be due to his lack of tracking back/poor positioning.

Just make sure someone hurts the Thumb early doors to put him off wanting to run at us IS all we need to do.

13 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

It's ignored on here that Kiernan has been involved in more of the goals we've conceded

Two goals there that he was a part off (the second one I think he congested it which didn't allow Wes to do proper goalkeeping.)

Kiernan does have bad games, and makes poor choices or poor balls to other players. But he has maintained a good defensive record, and he seems to be getting better. I think last night will also let him see (from watching in the stands) a new view point on how to be defensive. Also it let's us see just how much he commands the back line, he constantly keeps Tav in check who tends to go out of position. Also Kiernan just holding the ball up allows Tav to come back and support him. 

3 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

All about opinions as people blame him for the Alloa goal in the 1-1 last month. Personally I thought Wilson and Kiernan both should have done better. Can that goal be regarded as a clear fault by any of them? I'm not convinced. People also blame him for Cummings goal in the 2-1 defeat at Hibs, I don't think it was that bad, Ball's defending last night was worse in my opinion. The St Johnstone third goal was terrible from both him and Kiernan.

Wilson has gave away two penalties(both poor decisions, one well outside the box) 

Outside the St Johnstone game and his slack passing, I've yet to see these faults for goals that many on here pull Wilson up for. There was a thread posted slating Wilson after the 4-2 win against Hibs, even-though Kiernan was at fault for two goals and had a shocker. 

I think a lot of the goals are genuinely their fault, its always going to be hard adjusting and playing to our style due to the way our wing backs work. I'd say both have had pretty good seasons bearing that in mind.

1 minute ago, Rangers_no1 said:

I would add in both goals against Hibs, his poor positioning played Cummings onside and he jumped out of the way for the second goal as well

I saw you said this earlier in this topic, and I went back and had a look and I agree he was pretty slack. He didn't have anyone marked in the first goal. 

What part in the Livi game do you mean btw? I had a look at the goal against us but Kiernan was anywhere near it at the time, it took a deflection off of Ball. 

I'll still maintain that Kiernan is the best defender we have, I think Wilson does get painted in a bad light despite him doing a pretty good job. Ball is good but I think he's better when he's in a defensive midfielder role. With Wilson and Kiernan behind him to back him up. It might be his age and he needs a bit of direction, I noticed that he sign posted a lot of his moves last night. 

Too slow at reading dangerous situations and more inclined to leave it to others to cover for him. Flat footed when one on one with an opposing player running at him and is too easily beaten. Doesn't show the player to the outside. Too often looks for the long diagonal pass instead of playing it to a free man in front of him (although that seems to have gone from his game thankfully). Often isn't urgent enough with passing when we are up tempo and pressing.

Has improved though over the last few games  though, but I'll pick Kiernan ahead of him any time.

I think Wilson lacks the pace required to be a great central defender and yes, I know if you can read the game this can compensate for it. The way we play is based on our players being quick off the mark.

When he was with hearts he had a more compact defence beside him and this suited him. He failed big time in England could this have been lack of pace.

Know what, you can watch any goal in any game and there is an opposition error somewhere down the line that leads to it, I'm in agreement with most above in that after a shaky start he is now showing what a good player he is.

Both decent defenders but both lack pace...Kiernan  lunges in at times whilst Wilson can be too casual.

I think the art of good defending lies in decision making....for example when to attack the ball and when to hold your position.......per previous comments we are looking better when only one of the fullbacks bomb on.

Hard to be critical of our boys given the level of spending and style of football we are producing riht now.

5 hours ago, GOAT said:

Not been his biggest fan since he signed, he's been at fault for a few of the goals we've conceded, but he's came on a lot the last two months.  So fair play to him.

Got to agree, but he can do more. A bit too cool for me as he isn't all that, yet. I want to see him get angry. Was listening to Alan Shearer on the box earlier and he said that about Lukaku, in that he shouldn't need be waiting to get kicked a few times before he starts excerting himself. Reminded me a bit of Wilson. Just dominate from the off and make that physical presence of his really felt.

Think some of the critiscm he got earlier in the season was justified however I don't think he looked fit.

Add that into the fact he was part of a new defence , that takes time for them to get to know each other and also kiernan wasn't as positionaly aware as what he is now , along with Halliday getting used to his role and the wing back focussing more on attacking than defending I think Danny's upturn in form recently is more to do with the defensive unit  in general getting better "pitch geography" as MW puts it and understanding each other's style of play .

Think he and kiernan have a real opportunity to form a solid partnership for years to come , up to them to take it 

I think that Wilson's a really good defender, he just needs to cut out the unforced errors that seem to be a part of his game.

Some games he looks to stroll through, however he has the look of someone who thinks they can stroll through every game, which he can't. He's one of those players that you wish he was as good as he thinks he is.

9 hours ago, Rangers_no1 said:

3 hours ago, Blue Avenger said:

Got to agree, but he can do more. A bit too cool for me as he isn't all that, yet. I want to see him get angry. Was listening to Alan Shearer on the box earlier and he said that about Lukaku, in that he shouldn't need be waiting to get kicked a few times before he starts excerting himself. Reminded me a bit of Wilson. Just dominate from the off and make that physical presence of his really felt.

mortons goal the other night? he looks straight at the goal scorer coming up behind him but still goes to the man on the ball when he already had two men marking him.leaving the scorer free at the back post :wink: