Warburton Won't Criticise The Defence

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, cushynumber said:

well he may not critisise them publicly as thats typically a death sentence for a manager - but it will be interesting to see if they start next season - Wilson in particular. I doubt it. A 4-6 week spell, throughout the season isn't really good enough. I think with the correct partner Kiernan could do a job, but i dont trust Wilson.

Spot on, no decent manager in any profession or industry criticizes staff in public.  Once that door is closed, the gloves are off.

apologies...as I haven't read the whole thread.........however...

I believe we do everything as a team...be it attack, defend or hold...ppe..so, to that end.... 41 goals (of 79 scored) have come from players who are either midfield or defenders...................... so why are we blaming only the defence for goals conceded?

Defending starts from the No. 9           surely we all know that

personally, I couldn't care less if we concede 4.............so long as we score 5. (I believe a certain Mr Shankley was of the same view)

Guys.......we are having a good season...and will be promoted within the next 8 days....so lets enjoy this time....then focus on the job next season

We have what we have and it will be good enough to collect at least two trophies in the coming weeks.

However next season Warburton has to ensure the defence improves. To me that means bringing in players who are better than those we currently have. We need to do that with the midfield and with the forwards too but I think the defence is the priority.

15 hours ago, TheBluebells said:

I think Wilson gets a rough time on here, I'm not saying he's a superb defender by any means but i think defensively the likes of Tav and on occasion Halliday get an easy ride on here.

The past couple of games none of them have covered themselves in glory right enough.

This.

Big Rob has been just as bad but it's Wilson who almost always get's picked out.

3 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

This.

Big Rob has been just as bad but it's Wilson who almost always get's picked out.

I see Kiernan getting a tougher time than Wilson but it doesnt matter as I think most fans are not comfortable with the thought of both of them being the central defensive pairing for next season. We need a top notch defender partnering either one of them.

11 minutes ago, Young Bob said:

I see Kiernan getting a tougher time than Wilson but it doesnt matter as I think most fans are not comfortable with the thought of both of them being the central defensive pairing for next season. We need a top notch defender partnering either one of them.

To be honest the way we set up and play it’s always going to result in us conceding a fair few goals over the season. It’s not unique to us as it was a feature of Warbs time in England too. It’s the sacrifice of playing entertaining, open football where attacking is the focal point. We did really well up until a few weeks ago in keeping some clean sheets.

2 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

To be honest the way we set up and play it’s always going to result in us conceding a fair few goals over the season. It’s not unique to us as it was a feature of Warbs time in England too. It’s the sacrifice of playing entertaining, open football where attacking is the focal point. We did really well up until a few weeks ago in keeping some clean sheets.

Ok but if he had better defenders then and now then a few of those goals would have been prevented. To me we dont have a leader in the centre of the defence which doesnt help the matter.

our team is strolling to the title , playing the most attractive football in years , looks like things are finally getting settled behind the scenes , we have a promising young squad with a top manager .....but we focus on a defence that is as open as the Clyde due to a right and a left back that are bombing up and down constantly and having a winger ( Halliday) and a centre half ( ball) who have pretty much tried to BS their way through the season ( and judging by results managed to do that) , the way we play doesn't matter who ur centre halfs are - they would look exposed and open for critiscm, unless we sacrifice our attacking philosophy .

I would be far more concerned if we were playing a crap brand of football and still conceding goals , try to find any attacking team in the world who plays our style of football that doesn't conceed goals... Doesn't exist.

Is there any coincidence that a part way through this season when we stopped conceeding goals that our goals scored also reduced? No ... And all we got on here was posts about how we " need to get back to attacking the way we did at the start of the season.

Psychology will also have a lot to do with what is happening in games recently aswell , we have been strolling it against Falkirk and QOTS so naturally our players have then took the foot of the gas ( they will have 1 eye on OF game just like the rest of us ) so find themselves exposed when they are challenged in a game and the vast amount of them being inexperienced , young and not used to being in winning positions have never been in a position to " manage the game out " 

Not saying that's acceptable by rangers standards however realistically these things take time and exprience to master.

Losing 3 + 3 goals, many of them sloppily has come at the right time. Just off the back of good consistent defending over several weeks, we can focus on the defence now and make sure they are ready for next season where the attackers against us will be even sharper and take advantage of weak defending more often.

Then again, next season we will surely have someone regular and effective in the DM role. Ball has been good but he is still learning the role. Halliday plays like a AM shoe-horned in and not always reading what's happening until it's too late. Ideally, an experienced DM who can marshall the defence behind him (if we stick with Wilson and Kiernan), if we can find one, will sove these problems more or less. Kiernan has little experience of the top league annd Wilson always had Sir Davie to direct him there. So there needs to be development one way or another.

But let's use this division as a sandbox (now it's practically won!) for preparing for next season. When it was 1-0, 1-0 a few games ago it was up front we needed to work on and they responded. Now we work on defence.

he chose to highlight how well his rearguard had done in previous games instead.

Just because you are not conceding goals, it doesn't automatically follow that you are defending really well.  I never bought into the idea that we were 'solid' during that spell.  

A new philosophy, our attack begins in defence, defenders acting as attacking wingers and midfielders. We are used to big solid defenders who dont give an inch and pass the ball in to midfield then take up a defensive position; we now have defender trying to get up field, leaving space behind with a thought to get a goal or causing one. Next season will be a roller coaster and the support will take time to adjust to the new ways as this season is proving. A lot of our sound football knowledge is based on the old philosophy, we are going to have to adapt to the new way of Rangers playing the game. MW has brought in a new thinking and we will debate the pit falls and benefits numerous times. I think it is a winning philosophy but teams are going to score against us and we are not really used to that. This is almost the exact opposite of Walters way of going about the game. This is interesting times to be a Bear.