Barrie McKay

GlasgowsBlue

One of his biggest fans but in the second half he was poor today but it was a pish poor team performance and the players seemed nervous when we lost the goal. 

I know this is about Barrie, but I do believe the lack of confidence in our defence is starting to effect some of the players. :ohmy:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Bears r us said:

One of his biggest fans but in the second half he was poor today but it was a pish poor team performance and the players seemed nervous when we lost the goal. 

I know this is about Barrie, but I do believe the lack of confidence in our defence is starting to effect some of the players. :ohmy:

This all day long (tu)

We don't seem able to put him away by getting the ball in front of him to run on to.

So he's usually receiving the ball with back to goal, or on the half turn, with one or two guys in front of him who are boxing him in already.

OR, we ping a lovely, floating 50 yard ball straight to his chest, giving his marker time to tread on his toes by the time he's brought it under control.

Oddly, we seem able to give Tav a better ball to run on to, on the other side.

We need to get better at putting Barrie away in the areas where he can do most damage.

Like most, I'm a huge fan and really do think he has it all, and has the potential to go very far. His first touch, his change of pace and ability to pick a pass and spread the play is a joy to behold at times. First half, I thought he looked good but I agree he was a bit more subdued in the 2nd half. 

The thing that stood out for me was Wallace. Personally I don't think Wallace was that great, which was a big surprise. Maybe I'm being over critical of Wallace as he's been so good this past 12 months but he just didn't seem to be at the races IMO, offensively anyway. Barrie made a few decent slide rule passes, the type Wallace normally reads/runs into without thinking but for some reason the partnership wasn't quite there.

McKay off the park is quite a reserved lad and at times it maybe shows on the pitch. I think everyone just needs to encourage him more to be more positive because he absolutely has the ability. We need to tell him to demand the ball more, run at the right back more, and shoot more. He has already come on leaps and bounds in the past 12 months, and to extent we are maybe expecting too much of him. It's easy to forget he struggled somewhat on loan at Raith and Morton but that's all down to the high standards he has now reached. He now has to push on and I believe he will.........

2 hours ago, TheKingObv said:

He was pish today.

Some good touches but lost count how many times he lost the ball.

No he was very good but the lack of movement around him when he brought the ball down or took on players left him with minimal options to play a killer pass. Some folk are looking for too much from him.  He needs players to apply themselves as much as he does to oi fir that final pass. 

15 minutes ago, Bears r us said:

Said this at the game today , i thought we looked ok at the back then they got the goal from nothing and it really seemed to affect us , it also doesnt help that nobody in the team seems to love a tackle or going and taking a game by the scruff of the neck 

Had a couple of moments early on then faded away today.

2nd half he tried to take on his man a couple of times but was brushed off the ball quite easily.

There is a problem with our set-up that he seems to be asked to stay out wide to receive the ball. So someone pings a nice 50/60 yard pass to him which he will control with ease, now the problem appears, the guy who pinged the ball to him was a midfielder, so here is McKay on the wing with no one in our team anywhere near him and he needs to wait for Wallace to come running from 40 yards deeper to pass to. By that time the other team is all back in position to defend easily.

Even when the balls on the right wing he seems to be too far over to the left. He should be coming inside to be closer to the play.

I'd like to see him being given a bit more of a free reign because he's wasted out there.

12 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Think MW had him in mind when he spoke about lack of heart today, McKays ability with Forresters heart and we'd have a world beater on our hands.

He normally does try quite hard, there was a good few times, even in pre-season against Motherwell for example, he lost the ball and tracked back and won it near our box to start another attack. Like I said before, the players just looked so unfit today it was ridiculous.

Great player but up against anyone of similar pace and he finds it tough even with his trickery, not helped that Wallace seems to be struggling a wee bit.

McKay and Wallace will come good though.

Our Fitness seems nowhere near last year when we blew teams away.

18 minutes ago, Smile said:

Great player but up against anyone of similar pace and he finds it tough even with his trickery, not helped that Wallace seems to be struggling a wee bit.

McKay and Wallace will come good though.

Our Fitness seems nowhere near last year when we blew teams away.

I really wonder if any of last year's squad will 'train on' and reach the consistently high levels we're going to need.

Like Barrie - there will be a lot more players of similar (or greater) pace to deal with.

Accies right winger/midfielder did a real number on him 1st half, tracking back, robbing him, then dealing with getting the ball away with secure possession.

Edit - overall situation not helped by the 'quality' signings being below match fitness & the younger end (Rossiter apart) being injured.

3 hours ago, Terro266 said:

Looked like a fan had walked on to the pitch when he came on with the huge top that had no number ?

Great player tho just not at his best today 

Guy tore the shirt off his back trying to stop him today hence the change of strip.

3 minutes ago, HG5 said:

I really wonder if any of last year's squad will 'train on' and reach the consistently high levels we're going to need.

Like Barrie - there will be a lot more players of similar (or greater) pace to deal with.

Accies right winger/midfielder did a real number on him 1st half, tracking back, robbing him, then dealing with getting the ball away with secure possession.

Edit - overall situation not helped by the 'quality' signings being below match fitness & the younger end (Rossiter apart) being injured.

I think there is an obvious step up even though the league's so poor i think we noticed this today, may also be down to lack of fitness or match sharpness ,we should still be murdering teams of Hamiltons stature.

1 minute ago, Smile said:

I think there is an obvious step up even though the league's so poor i think we noticed this today, may also be down to lack of fitness or match sharpness ,we should still be murdering teams of Hamiltons stature.

Agreed?

I felt for Barrie today, he was expected to do everything but got very little support, especially towards the end of the first half and until the subs came on. 

Some of passing was excellent today, one diagonal pass that cubed to Tav about 2cms off the ground in particular, but i lost count of the times he got into a crossing/passing position and there was no one in the box or pressing forward from midfield. 

Still our best player in my book, closely followed by Forrester!

3 hours ago, Prso's headband said:

Might be our best player but he was shocking today. As was Wallace. 

The whole team was below average including MW IMO. Barrie had a good first half and a below par second.

Wallace and McKay usually do one twos and control that left wing. Didn't happen today though.

37 minutes ago, Smile said:

I agree with that. I think there is a step up in standards. I thought McKay's runs where into isolated areas that made him largely ineffective for much of the match mainly because he didn't get the return that he got last season by doing the same things. Barrie will have to release the ball a lot quicker than he did today, and play with a lot more subtlety in a creative sense.

8 hours ago, Tom0411 said:

Guy tore the shirt off his back trying to stop him today hence the change of strip.

Yeh I know just thought it looked funny 

they could have got him a smaller top looked like they just grabbed one from the mega store ? Wonder if they got abuse when getting it ?