can you coach a winning mentality and ruthlessness?

MacBoyd

Few worries I have with these players is seeing out games we are narrowly winning and scoring and grinding out wins when our play is poor.

Both traits of great Rangers teams. Is that something that is inside a player or can warbs teach these players how to win these types of games? 

Just now, MacBoyd said:

Few worries I have with these players is seeing out games we are narrowly winning and scoring and grinding out wins when our play is poor.

Both traits of great Rangers teams. Is that something that is inside a player or can warbs teach these players how to win these types of games? 

I think a lot of it comes from the players themselves, and filling your team with these types.  If you look at the Man United team of 1999 they had a winning mentality unlike anything I've ever seen.  They had a lot of leaders, captains, and aggression, within the squad.  I'm not saying we'll reach those heights but I do believe Warburton is recruiting guys who set by example and many have captained prior to coming here.

9 minutes ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

I think a lot of it comes from the players themselves, and filling your team with these types.  If you look at the Man United team of 1999 they had a winning mentality unlike anything I've ever seen.  They had a lot of leaders, captains, and aggression, within the squad.  I'm not saying we'll reach those heights but I do believe Warburton is recruiting guys who set by example and many have captained prior to coming here.

Hope so mate I just feel they are a bit fragile and don't react well when things are not going our way. It might just be our terrible defence that gives me the fear. 

13 minutes ago, MacBoyd said:

Hope so mate I just feel they are a bit fragile and don't react well when things are not going our way. It might just be our terrible defence that gives me the fear. 

Look at the team individually and what some have accomplished.  Wilson, at a very young age, captained a Hearts side to win the Championship convincingly.  Hill has captained many times and gives his all.  Barton is a born winner, hates losing, and is only here for the challenge.  Rossiter looks to have real bite to him.  Halliday plays for the jersey.  Guys like Holt and Foderingham have real aggression about them.  We do have the right kind of players in there.

What I will say is at times we look unmotivated and unprepared.  The final games of last years league season and the cup final are prime examples.  Opening day of this season against Hamilton would be another fine example.  People will tell you that Hamilton were up for it, but surely we should be up for it too. 

Look at the team individually and what some have accomplished.  Wilson, at a very young age, captained a Hearts side to win the Championship convincingly.  Hill has captained many times and gives his all.  Barton is a born winner, hates losing, and is only here for the challenge.  Rossiter looks to have real bite to him.  Halliday plays for the jersey.  Guys like Holt and Foderingham have real aggression about them.  We do have the right kind of players in there.

What I will say is at times we look unmotivated and unprepared.  The final games of last years league season and the cup final are prime examples.  Opening day of this season against Hamilton would be another fine example.  People will tell you that Hamilton were up for it, but surely we should be up for it too. 

Good post mate. Agree with all of this. :541:

14 minutes ago, weshallnotbemoved! said:

People tell us that we are privilidged for Warbs to be here.

Good. Vice versa.

Jury is still out.

Is there someone else you would have chosen given the circumstances?

37 minutes ago, weshallnotbemoved! said:

Good. Vice versa.

Jury is still out.

The jury is not still out the verdict is in and they are unanimous that we have the best man for the job at the helm.

Given what he he inherited and what he has achieved I can't believe people would doubt him. It is a young squad and his style of play will result in losing a few games when maybe we could have ground a result out but it has been a joy to watch since Mr Warburton took over. 

He has made it far more enjoyable going to watch the mighty Rangers. We should appreciate what we have got.

The scum appear to produce a relentlessness, generation after generation.

Look no further recently than their ECL qualifier, where they managed to produce not one, but two penalties in injury time at the end of each half.

Look how often, over recent years, they get a 43rd or later minute goal, when it appears the opposition have kept them out.

This is definitely an attitude that can be coached into a team.

53 minutes ago, weshallnotbemoved! said:

Good. Vice versa.

Jury is still out.

Can't believe people are questioning Warburtons managerial ability only one game into the season.

Given the result last season, the new signings so far this year and the wins in the league cup.

Maybe a bit premature don't you think. Maybe if we are in the bottom half of the table at Christmas you could be forgiven, but not now FFS.

24 minutes ago, HG5 said:

The scum appear to produce a relentlessness, generation after generation.

Look no further recently than their ECL qualifier, where they managed to produce not one, but two penalties in injury time at the end of each half.

Look how often, over recent years, they get a 43rd or later minute goal, when it appears the opposition have kept them out.

This is definitely an attitude that can be coached into a team.

When Celtic needed a goal against Hearts in those last 30mins they went for it.  When we needed a goal against Hamilton we didn't do the same thing.  Hill was passing it with no urgency, Strikers in our own half, not enough men pushing forward for a goal. 

3 minutes ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

When Celtic needed a goal against Hearts in those last 30mins they went for it.  When we needed a goal against Hamilton we didn't do the same thing.  Hill was passing it with no urgency, Miller in our own half, not enough men pushing forward for a goal. 

1, Miller player 2/3 of they last 30 mins.

2, Your heed is so far up Celtic's arse lately it's unreal.

You have to look no further than Souness. 

Got criticised for ' buying ' the league , but the reality was the majority of the team were already there . He turned guys like Munro , McPherson , McMinn Durrant , Ferguson , Fleck etc , combined with older heads like Coops , and gave then a winning mentality . These guys turned into men under Souness .

And also worth a mention would be Jock Wallace who signed / gave  these guys the chance , at an early age  , and who knows what would have happened , had he stayed a bit longer , he may have reaped the benefits of what he had sowed. 

So yes , a winning mentality is a vital factor to success .

5 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

1, Miller player 2/3 of they last 30 mins.

2, Your heed is so far up Celtic's arse lately it's unreal.

My mistake about Miller I forgot he was subbed.  But when Miller was on he was dropping that deep, instead of leading our line.  In that last 30mins we were short of men in the box.  If we need a goal we need to step up a gear and that didn't happen against Hamilton.

We have more players in our team now with that 'winning mentality' than in quite some time.  I think the determination of the likes of Barton, Forrester, Kranjcar, Miller will rub off o the rest of the players.  We've always had a captain but we also needed leaders on the park, we now have them in spades.

When Celtic needed a goal against Hearts in those last 30mins they went for it.  When we needed a goal against Hamilton we didn't do the same thing.  Hill was passing it with no urgency, Miller in our own half, not enough men pushing forward for a goal. 

In a nutshell.

But I could go chapter & verse over a number of years where they have displayed the sort of relentlessness that has seen them over the line when all seemed lost.

We've had our own moments, of course, but they seem a lot more prolific at it than us.

4 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

We have more players in our team now with that 'winning mentality' than in quite some time.  I think the determination of the likes of Barton, Forrester, Kranjcar, Miller will rub off o the rest of the players.  We've always had a captain but we also needed leaders on the park, we now have them in spades.

Someone in the dressing room pre-match to get them in the mental zone?  I don't think Warburton can do it very well.  He's forever talking about how 'we'll be ready' and then we're not.  I believe in Warburton, his player picks, formation, and system. 

2 minutes ago, HG5 said:

In a nutshell.

But I could go chapter & verse over a number of years where they have displayed the sort of relentlessness that has seen them over the line when all seemed lost.

We've had our own moments, of course, but they seem a lot more prolific at it than us.

Seriously?? Over the years they have managed to get over the line more than us. When it has went to the last day of the season who has managed to get over the line?

I don't ever remember a helicopter turning east!!!

18 minutes ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

When Celtic needed a goal against Hearts in those last 30mins they went for it.  When we needed a goal against Hamilton we didn't do the same thing.  Hill was passing it with no urgency, Strikers in our own half, not enough men pushing forward for a goal. 

Oh yes we did and as Warburton said we have to take our chances, Rangers biggest problem is not putting the ball away. I posted all last season that Warburtons setup is toothless, Tuesday night was more direct playing a typical center forward and we badly need another and cut out the over played knocking the ball about for no reason.

11 minutes ago, westenclosure2008 said:

Seriously?? Over the years they have managed to get over the line more than us. When it has went to the last day of the season who has managed to get over the line?

I don't ever remember a helicopter turning east!!!

How many last games of the season are you talking about?

I'm talking about a regular season on season where those tramps pick up a late goal, in either half, that swings it.

Whilst I loved it at the time, I don't remember Scott MacDonald playing for Rangers when he scored the helicopter changing direction goal.

Edit - we haven't even been in their division while a lot of these late goals have happened - such as my example of the recent ECL qualifier.

3 minutes ago, danger ranger said:

Oh yes we did and as Warburton said we have to take our chances, Rangers biggest problem is not putting the ball away. I posted all last season that Warburtons setup is toothless, Tuesday night was more direct playing a typical center forward and we badly need another and cut out the over played knocking the ball about for no reason.

We should start worrying when we aren't creating chances. It's the most attacking formation and style we have played in years so hardly think it is toothless. I agree it can be frustrating at times but you can't score if you don't have the ball.. Managing a game in that manner is a Barcelona tactic and they have done not too bad out of it. 

15 minutes ago, HG5 said:

How many last games of the season are you talking about?

I'm talking about a regular season on season where those tramps pick up a late goal, in either half, that swings it.

Whilst I loved it at the time, I don't remember Scott MacDonald playing for Rangers when he scored the helicopter changing direction goal.

Edit - we haven't even been in their division while a lot of these late goals have happened - such as my example of the recent ECL qualifier.

Tanadice and Rugby park spring to mind as days where we showed much more relentless than them. I'm sure I read somewhere that in the last nine times it has went to the last day we have won 6 of them!!

A fucking ridiculous tackle by a Khazikstani(couldn't be bothered spellchecking) defender does not mean they have a better mentality. They got lucky.