Should we change to a 3-5-2 formation ?

WhosTheDado

OK we all know the gaffer loves his 4-3-3 and so do I. Some of the football last season was a joy and pleasure to watch. But I was just thinking with the players that we have, would we be more suited to a 3-5-2 formation ? Hopefully the signing of Senderos and the return to fitness for Holt, Crooks, Windass, Waghorn can fix our sluggish start to the season but if not then maybe another formation could be the answer.

A 3-5-2 could possibly be the solution to both our defensive frailties and lack of goals. Our defence currently is basically the 2 centre backs with little cover from the full backs. The amount of times a long ball from the opposition gets flicked on and beats our defence is scary. A change to a back 3 would possibly cut that out and make us more secure. In turn this should allow Tav and Wallace to get up and down the park more freely. Also an extra CB can only be beneficial for defending set pieces which as we all know is another frailty of ours.

Then we would have our centre mids like we do at the moment with one difference, I'd have Barrie McKay playing in there just in front of the other 2 midfielders. There seems to be a real lack of movement, energy and purpose in our central midfield since the end of last season which is continuing onto this season. I think McKay can play in there as a playmaker linking midfield with attack.

Up front we would have the 2 strikers. They would thrive on the width still provided by Wallace and Tav and the passing of our playmaker either McKay/Kranjcar/Forrester. I could see a partnership between Waghorn and Garner hitting 50+ goals easy in this kind of setup.

Oh aye and another thing, fuck international football :anguish: pile a shite. Roll on the 10th:uk:

4 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

We do 3-5-2 at certain points during a match; we don't do it rigidly, but we do at times in attack do it, sometimes we do 2- 5- 3. The beauty 4-3-3, certainly the way Warburton plays it,  is that it is not rigid as such.

Don't agree with that. 

352 has three CDs, 433 doesn't. Might put people in that position but you don't have the right skills. 

I don't think 433 suits us at all. We have no natural wingers and our midfield is lightweight. 

Just now, theiconicman said:

Don't agree with that. 

352 has three CDs, 433 doesn't. Might put people in that position but you don't have the right skills. 

I don't think 433 suits us at all. We have no natural wingers and our midfield is lightweight. 

I agree, I was just playing with the formation theme!

1 minute ago, Inigo said:

No way. 3 at the back rarely works and that's probably why it doesn't get used much.

It works against a 433 but not so well against a 442 which is probably why you rarely see it. 

Hibs played it against us in final and league and had us flumoxed. 

Just now, Wearethepeople72 said:

We definitely need to find about something. Can't continue playing the same way all game, every game, like we have been recently. We need a plan B. Whether three at the back is the answer or not, I'm not so sure.  

Imo we don't have any natural wingers so I'd drop any formation that tries to play them. 

So I'd go 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 diamond. 

2 minutes ago, theiconicman said:

It works against a 433 but not so well against a 442 which is probably why you rarely see it. 

That was as much to do with the quality of our midfield in some way. Formations are not everything, and last season we played with a virtually non-existent midfield for much of it. Holt was injured and then came back but not in the same form. We were heavily reliant on Halliday, and we had no creative edge in midfield. Forrester was injured, Waghorn was still not fully fit. Those were important factors.

Just now, theiconicman said:

Don't agree with that. 

Mckay not natural enough 

12 minutes ago, theiconicman said:

IMO it's weak against either. It's too easy to adapt any system to exploit it.

I think we should move to a simple 6/5.   6 whose predominant job is to defend and not let in any goals.  Interchangeable 5 whose job it is to go and create havoc in the opposition half and score bags of goals.  When we are 2 up then switch to 5/6 and let someone like Crooks play as one of the attacking 6.

There you are.  Sorted.   A defence that sticks to defending and defending well.  An interchangeable front 5 whose job it is to create goal scoring chances aplenty.....and take them.

433 when we have the ball but a tight 451 when we dont

but if we don't move the ball quickly and hunt it down even quicker then we will let them get into the game 

in there faces from 1st whistle to last

we need to win the midfield as early as possible but we need the correct players in the midfield to do that