How Would You Have Approached The Transfer Window And Upcoming Season In General?

RDFM

This season hasn't started too brightly (Obviously) and in hindsight the transfer window also was not too amazing. Assuming you had a budget of 3 - 5 Million (I know it's more than we've spent but let's assume King was generous) and free range at team selection etc how would you have done it? Here's mine - 

Signings 
Matt Gilks - Free
Lee Hodson - Undisclosed (Est. 250k)
John Souttar - 400k ~ 600k
Paddy McNair - 3 Million ~ 4 Million
Jordan Rossiter - 250k
James Morrison - Free (Would've approached before he signed a new contract)
Tom Bradshaw - 650k ~ 850k                                                                                                                                                  Gareth McAuley - Free 
Estimated Combined Fee - 5 Million

Outgoings 
Cammy Bell - 150k
Dominic Ball - End of loan
Gideon Zelalem - End of loan
Every player that left in the summer - Free
Jordan Thompson - Loan (Scottish Prem Team)
Liam Kelly - Loan (Scottish Prem Team)
Ross McCrorie - Loan (Scottish Prem Team)                                                                                                                              Rob Kiernan - 500k ~ 900k

*Primary XI : 433*
GK - Wesley Foderingham 
RB - James Tavernier 
RCB - John Souttar      
LCB - Paddy McNair 
LB - Lee Wallace ~ Captain
CDM - Jordan Rossiter 
RAM - James Morrison ~ Vice Captain
LAM - Harry Forrester
RW - Martyn Waghorn     
LW - Barrie McKay 
CF - Tom Bradshaw 
*Primary XI Substitutes*
Matt Gilks 
Danny Wilson 
Gareth McAuley
Andy Halliday 
Jason Holt 
Josh Windass 
Michael O'Halloran 

*Secondary XI : 442*
GK - Matt Gilks 
RB - Lee Hodson 
RCB - Gareth McAuley
LCB - Matt Crooks
LB - Danny Wilson ~ Vice Captain 
RM - Michael O'Halloran 
CM - Jason Holt 
CM - Andy Halliday 
LM - Josh Windass 
ST - Kenny Miller ~ Captain
ST - Ryan Hardie 
*Secondary XI Substitutes*
Wesley Foderingham 
Paddy McNair 
James Tavernier 
Jordan Rossiter 
James Morrison 
Barrie McKay 
Martyn Waghorn 

(I am also aware the thought ive put into this is pretty sad lmao)

1 minute ago, TheLoudenTavernier said:

I believe it is. I'd have him in my team before James Morrison every day of the week.

James Morrison has been playing in the Prem just about his entire career, Josh will probably be signed by a championship club in a few years and that will be his ceiling imo (Not that that's a bad thing, the championship is a decent league)

1 minute ago, In Dungeons Deep said:

James Morrison has been playing in the Prem just about his entire career 

So has Joey Barton.

I respect your opinion but for me Windass is the better option, he's also going to improve while he's here. Morrison will be 31 at the end of this season and be on the decline in his career.

4 minutes ago, TheLoudenTavernier said:

So has Joey Barton.

I respect your opinion but for me Windass is the better option, he's also going to improve while he's here. Morrison will be 31 at the end of this season and be on the decline in his career.

Bit unfair to compare positions but fair enough.

5 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

Come on.

I don't rate him.

If we were going to sign a midfielder on the wrong side of 30 I'd much rather take Chris Brunt off them.

But yeah I'd much rather see how Windass develops rather than add another ageing player to our team.

4 minutes ago, In Dungeons Deep said:

Bit unfair to compare positions but fair enough.

I wasn't comparing positions as such, I was just highlighting that playing in the premiership down south doesn't mean you'll be a success up here. Barton is struggling and so have others before him.

My list would have included 2 central defenders,  a holding midfielder and an out and out striker.  I would have had people all over the country looking.  In fact I would have had a look at the young defender that shut down Andre grey in their cup defeat recently.  I can't remember his name but in that game he was outstanding.  We brought in such an outstanding player in rossiter so I would have tried to get someone to compliment him and then up top someone who can terrorise defenders (the beast maybe!  ?) I think on the whole MW has brought in some really cracking players but it's the ones that haven't cut the mustard that are getting all the attention. 

Kranjar is a luxury we neither needed or really could have afforded.  Barton is a distraction we don't need. Hill was baffling and senderos was an act of desperation.  I think that the lescott thing caught MW off guard.  I honestly believe the aek deal was just about  done before he came to us for the medical.  He wanted him I do believe that if lescott had signed our defence would have tightened up considerably. 

Priority should have been CB's with pace as we play a high line, and a quality DM. On paper the Barton signing was a good one given that he was in the Championship team of the year and has good experience. He may still come good but at the moment he looks a mile off the pace. We shouldn't have been coming to the end of the transfer window scrounging at the bottom of the barrel for a CB. 

40 minutes ago, In Dungeons Deep said:

This season hasn't started too brightly (Obviously) and in hindsight the transfer window also was not too amazing. Assuming you had a budget of 3 - 5 Million (I know it's more than we've spent but let's assume King was generous) and free range at team selection etc how would you have done it? Here's mine - 

I think this is the key word here. I think there were very few people that were unhappy with our business (other than the obvious centre half issue). People who were worshiping the signings of barton and krancjar are now slaughtering MW for signing them, even though all of us (including the media) thought they would be massive hits.

Bottom line is, no one is performing up to standard (granted people may argue that it is warburtons job to get the best out of players). I genuinely do believe we still have a special manager in charge and our team are still gelling and gaining fitness. Imo we will at least be going toe to toe with celtic come the end of the season and next season we will get 55.

5 minutes ago, TheLoudenTavernier said:

I wasn't comparing positions as such, I was just highlighting that playing in the premiership down south doesn't mean you'll be a success up here. Barton is struggling and so have others before him.

Others have been a success too. It's all just a matter of opinions and I can see where you're coming from and respect it.

1 minute ago, Teddybear123 said:

I think this is the key word here. I think there were very few people that were unhappy with our business (other than the obvious centre half issue). People who were worshiping the signings of barton and krancjar are now slaughtering MW for signing them, even though all of us (including the media) thought they would be massive hits.

Bottom line is, no one is performing up to standard (granted people may argue that it is warburtons job to get the best out of players). I genuinely do believe we still have a special manager in charge and our team are still gelling and gaining fitness. I genuinely believe we will at least be going toe to toe with celtic come the end of the season and next season we will get 55.

A lot of them at the time were rightly slagged too (at least by me). I didn't want Hill or Senderos, would've avoided Niko although wasnt devastated that he did end up signing and thought Bradshaw was our best option for striker over Joe (I'm pleased we got someone in though). I was all for Barton though so there's that. I'll give MW the season to show what he can deliver, the taigs will probably win the league this season but if MW can bring home the Scottish and the League cup then I won't mind. Hope you're correct about getting 55 next year, it's been too long since we've been champions of Scotland.

Well.. sadly... we can;t go back and fix it so we are where we are.

The thing to focus on now is:  How do we fix it?

Barton & Niko?  Neither should start.  End of.

Love Kenny -- but time to be an impact sub.

There's a lot to discuss of course.  But I believe we have the players and it's only MW who has insisted on playing some of his signings -- that's fine until it doesn't work.  We have reached that time.

1 minute ago, delamonty said:

Well.. sadly... we can;t go back and fix it so we are where we are.

The thing to focus on now is:  How do we fix it?

Barton & Niko?  Neither should start.  End of.

Love Kenny -- but time to be an impact sub.

There's a lot to discuss of course.  But I believe we have the players and it's only MW who has insisted on playing some of his signings -- that's fine until it doesn't work.  We have reached that time.

Priority number one is putting the energy back into the midfield three, it's night and day the quality difference between a young and hungry setup last season to this turgid shite. Holt, Rossiter, Halliday, Forrester and Windass should all be ahead of Barton and Krancjar now. Time to put all the chips on scoring more goals than the opposition, can't do fuck all about that defence until January window.

46 minutes ago, ben51 said:

Bought CB's who aren't shite. 

This is it in a nutshell.

Kranjcar aside, I think we did good business in midfield and upfront but defensively we got it completely wrong and that's not acceptable when you think about how long it's been a problem for.

37 minutes ago, Teddybear123 said:

Bottom line is, no one is performing up to standard (granted people may argue that it is warburtons job to get the best out of players). I genuinely do believe we still have a special manager in charge and our team are still gelling and gaining fitness. Imo we will at least be going toe to toe with celtic come the end of the season and next season we will get 55.

A lot of sensible thinking there.  I agree with your comments which are balanced to say the least.

2 CH's would've been my priority, the way we defended from about Feb/Mar onwards would have been cemented by the cup final performance so no hindsight from what's happened this year required.  However, to have the OP suggest £3-4m on McNair is deluded as fuck, we've not got that money - end of. To serve us up Hill at 37 and then last day bringing in of the bombscare that is Senderos is selling us short. i said when he signed we'd be found out with the CH's this season and we were torn a new one by an average mhanks team. 

Krancjar is classy but needs too much time on the ball that he doesn't get up here. Would still have brought in Rossiter and Barton as the former might bring us some funds when selling on. Dodoo? - nope  Garner? - don't think I'd have spent that much money on him and jury still out on him. 

We look an easy team to play against and an easy team to beat just now.  

4 minutes ago, Moody Blue said:

2 CH's would've been my priority, the way we defended from about Feb/Mar onwards would have been cemented by the cup final performance so no hindsight from what's happened this year required.  However, to have the OP suggest £3-4m on McNair is deluded as fuck, we've not got that money - end of. To serve us up Hill at 37 and then last day bringing in of the bombscare that is Senderos is selling us short. i said when he signed we'd be found out with the CH's this season and we were torn a new one by an average mhanks team. 

Krancjar is classy but needs too much time on the ball that he doesn't get up here. Would still have brought in Rossiter and Barton as the former might bring us some funds when selling on. Dodoo? - nope  Garner? - don't think I'd have spent that much money on him and jury still out on him. 

We look an easy team to play against and an easy team to beat just now.  

I said we don't have that money in my op...